Wormdrive Saw: DeWalt DWS535 Vs. Skil MAG77LT Vs. Makita 5377MG

Old 06-14-2013, 10:16 AM   #1
Pro

Trade: Homebuilder
Rewards Points: 150

Wormdrive Saw: DeWalt DWS535 Vs. Skil MAG77LT Vs. Makita 5377MG

It's time to replace some of our aging, worn out tools ...one of them is our Milwaukee wormdrive saw that was purchased in the mid 90's. It finally gave out on us. I've narrowed its replacement down to three saws:
The things I'm most concerned about (in no particular order) are build quality, torque, smoothness of the guard (or lack thereof) , dust placement, comfort, and longevity.

Any input, pros and cons, from those of you who own these saws would be much appreciated.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 06-14-2013, 10:21 AM   #2
Jack Of All Trades

Trade: General Construction
Rewards Points: 75

Re: Wormdrive Saw: DeWalt DWS535 Vs. Skil MAG77LT Vs. Makita 5377MG

I have used SKIL for almost every job and they are reliable yes but to so resilient. I always though they could have been made a little bit sturdier. Granted I do put my saws through hell on the job though.. Good luck, let us know what you decide and why!

Old 06-14-2013, 06:19 PM   #3
Pro

Trade: Carpentry Contractor
Rewards Points: 2,128

I have the Makita and I like it a lot. I also have a older Skil Mag77 and much prefer the Makita.

I have heard really good things about the DeWalt, but my track record with DeWalt saws is not good.
Old 06-14-2013, 06:40 PM   #4
Pro

Nick, thanks for chiming in ... How's the Skil on cutting compound angles? Does the guard hang up and interrupt the cut?

Mark, thanks for your input. What do you like about your Makita over the Skil Mag77?

Last edited by PlumbBob^2Pants; 06-14-2013 at 06:43 PM.
Old 06-14-2013, 07:57 PM   #5
topsail's trimcat

Trade: finish Carpenter/ renovations
Rewards Points: 2,126

the skil has hte long term durability and hte rep to boot,

the makita is very smooth cutting and very well balanced, lighter than the skil

several guys here have had the dewalt.. most of them had issues with it. canning custom had one burn up after 6 months of very light use
Old 06-14-2013, 08:43 PM   #6
;-p

Trade: I do that too!
Rewards Points: 2,332

The Skil had the rep but since manufacturing has moved over seas the rep has diminished. I still would put it in the running but they are not what they used to be.

Have not used the DeWalt or the Makita but have heard mixed reviews on the DeWalt (most being bad), and good reviews on the Makita. I would feel comfortable buying a Makita.

One that you have not put in the mix is the Ridgid. Although it is not as light at the Mag77LT, it rivals the Mag77 IMO. I have mentioned before.... I put a Mag77 (made USA) down for the Ridgid. Good balance, torque, goes to 51 degrees on the bevel, comes with the rafter hook and I have not looked back.

Now the Mag77LT is out I am interested to check it out due to all the new stuff they put on it, or took away to get the weight down.
Old 06-14-2013, 09:07 PM   #7
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrpntrFrk View Post
The Skil had the rep but since manufacturing has moved over seas the rep has diminished. I still would put it in the running but they are not what they used to be.

Have not used the DeWalt or the Makita but have heard mixed reviews on the DeWalt (most being bad), and good reviews on the Makita. I would feel comfortable buying a Makita.

One that you have not put in the mix is the Ridgid. Although it is not as light at the Mag77LT, it rivals the Mag77 IMO. I have mentioned before.... I put a Mag77 (made USA) down for the Ridgid. Good balance, torque, goes to 51 degrees on the bevel, comes with the rafter hook and I have not looked back.

Now the Mag77LT is out I am interested to check it out due to all the new stuff they put on it, or took away to get the weight down.
Everything is made in China nowadays ... it's a shame. And you can really feel it in the cheap plastics and flimsiness of most things made there today.

Does Rigid make a model with a magnesium base plate? Only thing I'm worried about is dropping the saw and bending the base plate, and so I prefer magnesium over steel or aluminum.
Old 06-14-2013, 09:10 PM   #8
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodworkbykirk View Post

several guys here have had the dewalt.. most of them had issues with it. canning custom had one burn up after 6 months of very light use
Kirk, do they have the older DeWalt or the newer DWS535? I understand there were a lot of problems with the older model, but not sure about the newer model.

I am leaning towards the Makita ... but, I would like to hear more about the new Skil Mag77LT.
Old 06-14-2013, 09:20 PM   #9
;-p

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlumbBob^2Pants View Post

Does Rigid make a model with a magnesium base plate?
Aluminum
PlumbBob^2Pants (06-14-2013)
Old 06-14-2013, 09:22 PM   #10
Framing Contractor

Trade: Framing
Rewards Points: 266
Send a message via MSN to FullerFramer

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodworkbykirk

Try 3 burnt DWS535 in 6 months. Armature kept failing, but they may have updated it as they have released a Type 2. I had good luck with the DW378G before I had 2 stolen out of my trailer earlier this year. Used to have a Mag77 as well that got stolen the same time as my 2 DW378G. Mag77 is nice but the base plate seemed to be the weak point. Have a 5377MG on order however Makita says its on backorder in Ontario. In the meantime I am running 2 Ridgid worm drive and I have to admit they are my favorite saw I've used to date; very smooth, very powerful.
Attached Thumbnails
Wormdrive saw: DeWalt DWS535 vs. Skil MAG77LT vs. Makita 5377MG-image-3078500944.jpg   Wormdrive saw: DeWalt DWS535 vs. Skil MAG77LT vs. Makita 5377MG-image-693137949.jpg  
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to FullerFramer For This Useful Post:
CanningCustom (06-14-2013), CO762 (06-14-2013), CrpntrFrk (06-14-2013), PlumbBob^2Pants (06-14-2013)
Old 06-14-2013, 09:26 PM   #11
;-p

OUCH!!
Old 06-14-2013, 09:30 PM   #12
Resident Pain

Trade: Framer
Rewards Points: 1,236

Matt have you tried www.atlas-machinery.com ? The makita and ridgid are my favs. As far as the Dewalt Ive smoke 2 in under 3 months.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CanningCustom For This Useful Post:
FullerFramer (06-14-2013), PlumbBob^2Pants (06-14-2013)
Old 06-14-2013, 11:27 PM   #13
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by FullerFramer View Post
Try 3 burnt DWS535 in 6 months. Armature kept failing, but they may have updated it as they have released a Type 2.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanningCustom View Post
The makita and ridgid are my favs. As far as the Dewalt Ive smoke 2 in under 3 months.
Thanks for the feedback, fellas. CC, were the ones you owned the Type 2 versions that FullFramer mentioned?
Old 06-14-2013, 11:46 PM   #14
Resident Pain

Trade: Framer
Rewards Points: 1,236

Yep they were . I had them replaced by dewalt andnsold one immediately after receiving them. Of course I have had no problem with it since.
Old 06-14-2013, 11:57 PM   #15
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanningCustom View Post
Yep they were . I had them replaced by dewalt andnsold one immediately after receiving them. Of course I have had no problem with it since.
So, you've still got the other replacement of the two and you've been using it with good results?
Old 06-15-2013, 12:23 PM   #16
topsail's trimcat

Trade: finish Carpenter/ renovations
Rewards Points: 2,126

i have the makita version thats not the magnesium, its not my primary saw, i bring it out for framing as i like it mainly for cutting sheathing
Old 06-15-2013, 08:32 PM   #17
trim carpenter/remodeler

Trade: trim carpenter/remodeler
Rewards Points: 512

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrpntrFrk View Post

I have not heard anything about the new Ridgid yet though.
Old 06-15-2013, 08:58 PM   #18
Pro

Trade: carpenter
Rewards Points: 742

I had a ridged it was a good saw for what I did with it it cut a lot of cement and used it for demo I had a makita that I bought at Lowes six years ago o do not think that saw lasted two months .
The shoe was all bent up and I put two switches in it. The switches where twice as much as they where for a skill.
Old 06-15-2013, 09:15 PM   #19
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodworkbykirk View Post
i have the makita version thats not the magnesium, its not my primary saw, i bring it out for framing as i like it mainly for cutting sheathing
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnc viking View Post
I had a ridged it was a good saw for what I did with it it cut a lot of cement and used it for demo I had a makita that I bought at Lowes six years ago o do not think that saw lasted two months .
The shoe was all bent up and I put two switches in it. The switches where twice as much as they where for a skill.
Good info, thanks fellas!
Old 06-16-2013, 09:36 PM   #20
Pro

Trade: Remodel
Rewards Points: 2,050

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKnAs Dad View Post
I have not heard anything about the new Ridgid yet though.
R3210? That's the one I have....that one or are they coming out with a new one? I don't know how they could improve it--and only hope they don't do what a lot of tool vendors do and once something becomes successful, they then try and reduce costs as much as possible, so it becomes no longer the same tool.