What Work Trousers Do You Wear?

Old 07-07-2007, 02:12 AM   #1

Trade: Finish Joiner
Rewards Points: 10

What Work Trousers Do You Wear?

Hello everyone. Just curious what you guys wear over the pond? Right now I've settled on some snickers 3311 cooltwill trousers as they are not quite as heavy as my old ones (less sweat). I've also got the 9115 knee pads to go in the front, which are great because they keep in place. Do you guys buy your knee pads seperatly or go for ones that fit in trousers?

I've heard some talk of helly hansen work pants and fristads but haven't really seen anyone wearing them yet.

Plus are shorts banned over there for health and safety reasons like over here?

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 07-07-2007, 05:12 AM   #2

Re: What Work Trousers Do You Wear?

Just found a make called Blaklader, which looks bloody good. Has anyone got a pair of their heavy duty trousers?

Quote:
"Two reinforced free nail pockets, which can be placed inside the front pockets with bellows• Hammer loop• Chisel pocket with three compartments• Two back pockets with bellows• Strong metal fly zip with snap fasteners• Reinforced rule pocket with a pen pocket and knife-holder• Leg pocket with a pen pocket and extra pocket• Cordura® kneepad pockets• Cordura® reinforced in exposed areas• Telephone pocket•"
If so how are they? In my snickers I like to carry a fixed stanley knife with yellow plastic shief on the right hand side (tried the re-tractable ones but they keep breaking!). It says knife holder but will it fit in?

Also how are the knee pads? I notice they go in from the bottom (unlike snickers from the top). Do they stay in place or fall out? Would you say they are better than snickers?

Are the compartments velcro or buttoned up? too plz

Last edited by mab123; 07-07-2007 at 05:20 AM. Reason: kneepads!
Old 07-07-2007, 08:24 AM   #3
Pro

Trade: Deck guy
Rewards Points: 2,020

For me, it's shorts from Wal-Mart and volleyball knee pads. It took me a few rounds to figure out the volleyball pads were a LOT more comfortable than any strap on pads. The straps would always bother the backs of my knees after a day of wearing...

I used to have some Carhartt jeans with built-in kneepads but the pad was never in the right spot when I kneeled down...plus jeans are just so freakin' heavy, esp. in the heat.

Mac
Old 07-07-2007, 09:32 AM   #4
Back from the dead...

Trade: Paperhanger/Painter
Rewards Points: 2,004

Rumor has it that Teetorbilt wears a kilt to beat the Florida heat!

Last edited by ProWallGuy; 07-07-2007 at 11:12 AM.
Old 07-07-2007, 10:01 AM   #5
Home Improvement Guy

Trade: Renovations contractor
Rewards Points: 500

It's so hot here lately, that the only thing I wear is a thong. I don't even put on shoes, just barefeet. I'd post a pic but I can't get anybody to take a picture of me. They either run away, laugh, or vomit.
Old 07-07-2007, 10:29 AM   #6
Electro-Mech. Contr.

Trade: Mechanical Contractor

I wish I could wear shorts but they aren't allowed, I do get away with sleeveless shirts though. I wear only Carhart work pants (the light thickness) in summer and the lined jeans ones all winter.
Old 07-07-2007, 12:14 PM   #7
DGR,IABD

Trade: Electrical; Commercial and Residential Service
Rewards Points: 2,000

I was a denim jeans guy for a long time, but they just wear out too quickly an look ratty. For maybe the last 6 or 8 years I've been stuck on Dickie's/Red Kap type cotton-poly blend work pants. They wear like iron, and aren't hot in the summer. When I'm kneeling, I just strap on a pair of knee pads when I need to. I never had a job in the past where shorts were permitted, and I still don't permit it myself. Shorts are for little boys, in my opinion. Plus, I have chicken legs. I honestly don't care too much what a guy wears, as long as it's clean and looks neat. Rips and tears either need mending or the pants should be replaced or otherwise not worn for work.
Old 07-07-2007, 01:50 PM   #8
Pro

Trade: Squirrel Handler

No kiddin' about the chicken legs, got a picture of MD at last weeks marathon.

Jeans or jean shorts (no chicken legs, but possibly the whitest un-tannable legs you've seen) in the summer (has to be 100% cotton to breathe) and work pants (like Dickie's) in the winter.

Old 07-07-2007, 02:17 PM   #9
Pro

Trade: Low Voltage
Rewards Points: 502

Marks Work Wearhouse, cargo work pants. I fill the pockets with screws and tape for rough-ins. They are also available as shorts for the hot days (like now!)

They also had these other shorts that were made out of that tough-duck material, but since discontinued. Lotsa pockets on those.

Old 07-07-2007, 03:03 PM   #10
Professional

Trade: Finish Carpentry
Rewards Points: 150

I'm with builtbymac. I get shorts from Walmart for most of the year, but when it gets cold(not too often is Southern California), I wear jeans.
Old 07-07-2007, 05:38 PM   #11
Thom

Trade: General Contractor/Homebuilder
Rewards Points: 2,564

Cheap Wall Mart blue jeans for me. They get full of caulk, paint, and look like crap in no time at all. Go through 6 to 8 pair each year. T-shirts on top. They get full of paint and caulk to. I left the suit and tie behind many years ago. If people think I look like a bum, so be it.
Old 07-07-2007, 05:43 PM   #12
Electro-Mech. Contr.

Trade: Mechanical Contractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by thom View Post
Cheap Wall Mart blue jeans for me. They get full of caulk, paint, and look like crap in no time at all. Go through 6 to 8 pair each year. T-shirts on top. They get full of paint and caulk to. I left the suit and tie behind many years ago. If people think I look like a bum, so be it.
Gave up on being neat?
Old 07-07-2007, 07:50 PM   #13
Palisade Point Const.

Trade: Remodeling/Finish/Framing/Log
Rewards Points: 1,000

Carhartt cotton duct double knee logger jeans for me- I honestly don't own anything else that I wear on a regular basis. Other than the Carhartts, I own a pair of dress pants, a couple pair of running shorts, wool and waterproof pants for hunting or skiing, and a pair of cargo pants that I wear when I have to go through airport security (found out the hard way- metal rivets on the carhartts make the guy with the wand go crazy).
Old 07-07-2007, 07:57 PM   #14
The Grand Wazoo

Trade: It blowed up real good!
Rewards Points: 1,388

In the summer, Columbia canvas hiking shorts, in the winter Carhart dungarees.
Old 07-08-2007, 10:40 AM   #15

Thanks for the replies guys. The Carhartt jeans look good but I'd really hate not having any built in knee pads so I'm gonna have to forget about them for now. Still I like those Summertrousers Cordura Ripstop ones they have listed on their site but can't find anywhere to buy here in the uk. I've never heard of cordura ripstop fabric before.

The weather over here is pretty miserable right now. Don't know if you heard about Sheffield and the floods but its bad (more work for us though right!?). Recently there was the beginning of a tornado (funnel didn't touchdown) here where I live up in the hills behind my house, which is something I've never heard of before!

Overall it sounds to me your getting more of that global warming than we are!

I've decided to buy some of those heavy duty blaklader work trousers for now with all this cold weather. I'll post some pictures if anyones interested later on.
Old 07-08-2007, 01:30 PM   #16
Insert title

Trade: Doors-Windows-Decks

I wear shorts all summer unless I am meeting with a client.
Old 07-08-2007, 04:30 PM   #17
Pro

Trade: Wood working in spare time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerToiletSpi View Post
In the summer, Columbia canvas hiking shorts, in the winter Carhart dungarees.

yep columbia canvas hiking shorts is exactly what i order every summer about three pairs. I forget where i get them at the moment somewhere on line. I also like cargo pants i can't remember at the moment where i get those at either. Well i don't wear them for construction seeing how i'm not in the business i just like them because of the look and durability and finally comfort.
Old 07-08-2007, 04:38 PM   #18
The Deck Guy

Trade: Outdoor Design & Construction
Send a message via AIM to Greg Di

Quote:
Originally Posted by mab123 View Post
Just found a make called Blaklader, which looks bloody good. Has anyone got a pair of their heavy duty
Yep. I have two pairs and they are absolutely the best pants I've owned to date. The kneepads work great and they stay in place. I highly reccommend them.

www.thenewworker.com sells them
Old 07-08-2007, 07:14 PM   #19
Pro

Trade: Exiled For Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by mab123 View Post
Thanks for the replies guys. The Carhartt jeans look good but I'd really hate not having any built in knee pads so I'm gonna have to forget about them for now.

Actually the Carhart logger jeans have a opening in the bottom of the double layer so knee pads can be put in. Most of the work stores I buy mine from give the carhart kneepads away for free as a promotion.
Old 07-09-2007, 08:10 PM   #20
Palisade Point Const.

Trade: Remodeling/Finish/Framing/Log

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustaFramer View Post
Actually the Carhart logger jeans have a opening in the bottom of the double layer so knee pads can be put in. Most of the work stores I buy mine from give the carhart kneepads away for free as a promotion.

How do you get them in there? the opening is only like 1.5 inches wide. I've never seen the kneepads for them.

The Following User Says Thank You to TempestV For This Useful Post:
FlaPlumb (05-27-2013)