What Is A Good Pancake Compressor?

Old 05-24-2008, 12:01 PM   #1
Mr. Hunt

Trade: remodels
Rewards Points: 25
Lightbulb

What Is A Good Pancake Compressor?

I've been looking at several inexpensive pancake compressors. I want something that will last and work for finish nailers, but also framing nailers. Does anybody have any recommendations? I've been looking at the DEWALT D55140 and the Porter-Cable C2002.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 05-24-2008, 12:26 PM   #2
Remodeling GC

Trade: Remodeling General Contractor
Rewards Points: 2,452

Re: What Is A Good Pancake Compressor?

i use the porter cable model and wokrs great for remodeling from framing to trim.

www.ObrienConstructionDenver.com
Old 05-24-2008, 12:29 PM   #3
DGR,IABD

Trade: Electrical; Commercial and Residential Service
Rewards Points: 2,000

You want a toy with lots of plastic and nylon parts or you want one that will last? Get one of these two if you want one that will last:

http://www.jennyproductsinc.com/port...handcarry.html
Old 05-24-2008, 02:33 PM   #4
Pro

Trade: Finish Carpentry
Rewards Points: 150
Send a message via AIM to Quiglag

Some people go for longevity, and some go for weight. Myself and most of the people I work with, go with the oil-less compressors because they weigh less then the oiled. I would rather save my back, then save a compressor. Oiled should last longer, but by how much, I do not know. I have had the same Porter Cable oil-less pancake for the past 10 years, and it still works.

Think about what you want.
Old 05-24-2008, 04:11 PM   #5
Roofing Sage

Trade: Thoroughbred Roofer
Rewards Points: 2,002

Here's a good source of information for you:

http://www.toolsofthetrade.net/indus...ticleID=704486
Ken Hendricks
Old 05-24-2008, 04:18 PM   #6
DGR,IABD

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ndGen View Post
Here's a good source of information for you:

http://www.toolsofthetrade.net/indus...ticleID=704486
Looks like I picked the winner.
Old 05-24-2008, 04:20 PM   #7
Roofing Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdshunk View Post
Looks like I picked the winner.
Sure does.

It looks like they can even keep up with multiple Roofing Guns.
Ken Hendricks
Old 05-24-2008, 04:48 PM   #8
Feedin the geese

Trade: Finish Carpenter
Rewards Points: 254

I take the TOFT reviews with a grain of salt even though I have no doubt that jenny are great compressors.
Old 05-24-2008, 05:02 PM   #9
JumboJack for president!

Trade: Hilti walking billboard
Rewards Points: 500

Agreed. Tools of the Trade magazine is off on most of their comparisons. But then again, i might like something and you might completely hate it. Sort of like what i think, and what this magazine thinks.
Old 05-24-2008, 09:42 PM   #10
Roofing Sage

The reviews I don't trust are the ones done by (how do I put this diplomatically?) very light duty tradesmen.

For example, and this is a complete hypothetical but extremely relevant, say a homeowner that tests framing nailers.

The features are easy to compare.

I love JLC's & Fine Homebuilding comparos.

Like this Fine Homebuilding Video Comparo for Miter Saw Stands:

http://www.taunton.com/finehomebuild...x?id=80116&c=3

Ken Hendricks

Last edited by 2ndGen; 05-24-2008 at 09:55 PM.
Old 05-25-2008, 02:59 PM   #11
Pro

Trade: remodeling general contractor
Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdshunk View Post
You want a toy with lots of plastic and nylon parts or you want one that will last? Get one of these two if you want one that will last:

http://www.jennyproductsinc.com/port...handcarry.html
Is it any strange coincidence that the Jenny"s are identical to the Emglow (now sold as Dewalt brand and painted yellow instead of blue) ? They even carry the same model number designations. I hope Dewalt does not begin to cheapen them up to go after market share like they seem to have done most of their tools in the last couple of years, because they are great units.
Old 05-25-2008, 03:00 PM   #12
DGR,IABD

Quote:
Originally Posted by troubleseeker View Post
Is it any strange coincidence that the Jenny"s are identical to the Emglow (now sold as Dewalt brand and painted yellow instead of blue) ? They even carry the same models number designations. I hope Dewalt does not begin to cheapen them up to go after market share like they seem to have done most of their tools in the last couple of years, because they are great units.
The Jenny is the "real" Emglo. The DeWalt Emglo's are Emglo's in name only; ie- crap. The Jenny is the real deal. Check out their website.

"Jenny has roots dating back to the late 1870’s and its subsequent incorporation in 1892 as Homestead Valve Manufacturing Company. Homestead Valve was located in Coraopolis, Pennsylvania where they designed, cast, machined, and tested a variety of ball and plug valves for the steel industry.

In 1927, Jenny revolutionized cleaning worldwide with the invention of the steam cleaner. "Steam Jenny", as it came to be called, facilitated the cleaning of dirty, greasy parts and equipment in an efficient and cost-effective manner, thereby reducing the amount of time and labor required.

Jenny is credited for building the very first positive displacement triplex pump with an oil-bath crankcase for steam cleaners. Fabricated back around 1934, it was used for moving chemicals in plants where they needed an adjustable flow three plunger pump. Due to cost concerns, Homestead later switched to a less expensive reciprocating piston pump around the late 1930s. Triplex Plunger Pumps are still in use today, and are the backbone of every pressure washer currently manufactured.

In the mid to late 1950’s, Jenny invented the first self service car wash system which was the size of an upright wall bookshelf. At the time however, service stations were doing most of the car washing for their customers and the system only ever had limited success.

In 1992, a gentleman by the name of Peter Leiss purchased the Jenny division of Homestead Industries and relocated the plant to Somerset, Pennsylvania across the way from his privately owned Tool & Die, Machining, Welding, Fabricating and ASME Code Air Compressor Tank Shop.

In 1998, Davey Compressor Company was purchased and joined the Jenny product offering. Davey Compressor, an off-shoot of the Davey Expert Tree Company, was a leading innovator in the air compressor field. The company designed and built the world’s first, portable, air-cooled air compressor in the late 1920’s and has remained on the cutting edge of compressor technology.

On November 20, 2003, Jenny purchased the Emglo line of Industrial Stationary Air Compressors and the entire Air Compressor Pump Manufacturing Facility from Black&Decker/DeWalt prior to the relocation of their plant to Renosa, Mexico. Jenny and our affiliated companies had been supplying and manufacturing a large number of parts, components, and assemblies for Emglo for over 30 years.

In keeping with our heritage of being a leading innovator and manufacturer of the finest available equipment, we manufacture a complete and extensive line of Hand Carry, Single and Two-Stage Wheeled Portable, Service Vehicle Compressor, Industrial Stationary, Base Plated Mounted, Climate Control and Fire Sprinkler Compressors."