Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

What brand of cordless tools should I buy hilti, makita, dewalt.

41K views 38 replies 23 participants last post by  TimNJ 
#1 ·
im looking for a new cordless kit my makita batteries have now failed and my kit has worn out. Should I get hilti or makita or the dewalt max range / xr in uk when they come out

#4 ·
I have always had dewalt 18 volt. Just bought the lithium ion batteries that fit the older tools. Batteries are great. I love my impact driver! My regular drill doesn't see the light of day much anymore. My kit is 7 years old and haven't had much issue although I did wear out one impact driver already.

#5 ·
I think you will find this is a Coke vs Pepsi argument.....a Chevy vs Ford vs Dodge argument....if you catch my drift.

I have a Ridgid set, a Dewalt set, a Hilti set and a compact 18V Makita with 1.5AH batteries. Dollar for dollar I would say the dewalt is the best except for the fact I've fried a few batteries.

For the price the Hilti has been a dissapointment, and they won't service any part of it except the trigger....you are forced to pay the repair cost limit of 130 bucks...and a replacement battery is insane.

The Ridgid isn't built to the same standards, the body flexes a lot like its going to break apart....but I gotta say it hasn't let me down yet and boy was it cheap.

The little Makita can't hold a candle to any of them despite it being in the 18V catagorie. Its a wonderful little drill but the compact design isn't powerful and the 1.5Ah battery is useless.

If I were to do it all again I would probably get the Makita 3.0Ah set...or drop a few more beans on a Panasonic.

#8 ·
I use the Dewalt 18v stuff b/c there is a lot to choose from. Hear lots of good words about the Makita and Panasonic but don't think those lines offer as much as the dewalt-I have right angle drills, grinders, drywall cutout and a jigsaw that all works off the same 18v battery's-as a 'remodeler' the convenience is worth the trade off of not being the best.

#9 ·
#15 ·
yet the bosch is a better sounding radio, more durable, way more extras. the dewalt is borderline bare bone sounds like **** and is the 2nd most expensive one on the market....... black and yellow is the same color as warning tape to keep people away

as for tools and such, every company makes certain items that are better than the rest but also make crappy stuff. its just a matter of trying different tools out to see what works for you

#29 ·
I'd go with the DeWalt 36v 4-pack. I got one about six years ago and the power and lasting-time of 36v are well worth it. The circular saw fits the full-sized 7 1/4 blades and can rip ipe. I don't use the work light much (or the hammerdrill, either) but the two saws made it well worth the $800 I originally forked-over for it.

#31 · (Edited)
If they were I didn't hear about it. I'll do a quick search, though. The only issue I ever had was the hammerdrill collar moving from the vibration while using it (as the hammerdrill) due to the collar being too loose.

Just looked, only thing I could find was the sawzall was recalled because the switch was having issues with catching on fire?? Never happened to me and I've been VERY hard on it. Here's the link I found and thanx for the warning...

http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/prhtml07/07068.html

#32 ·
i remember hearing about the saw somewhere, but i read in fhb i believe that the impact wrench was overtorquing and breaking guys wrists similar to how old school d handle drills would twist their arms around

#35 ·
5 years ago I was at a farm show where one of the vendors sponsored Dewalt to bring a few truck. They had 2 53' trailers full of boxed tools and 1 trailer with fold outs for demonstrations.

I spent a pile of money that day and got my moneys worth and then some.

Compressor
Roofing gun radio combination (and the threw in an extra gun)
12" double bevel slider (and threw in the stand)
10 piece 18V cordless set (and they threw in 2 extra pieces, my choice)
13" planer (they took $100 off)
Laser set with story pole (they threw in the tripod)
few other things to go along with them..

Been very happy with everything. Batteries seem to hold up well and I actually still have a few of the XRPs. The impact driver has since been replaced. The original still works, just doesn't have the ass that it used to.

The 4 way blade on the cordless recip saw is great, but with very little dust, it will stick....nothing that a 16 nail won't cure:laughing:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.