Tool Boxes And Ladder Racks

Old 02-23-2012, 01:52 PM   #1
Pro

Trade: General Contractor ~ Property Maintenance
Rewards Points: 6,791

Tool Boxes And Ladder Racks

As some of you know, I have a 6 x 12 trailer with ladder racks. But, I recently came across two sets of ladder racks for sale with tool boxes. These are the boxes that run along both sides of the bed rails. Both sets are used: one set was $1200, and the other $800. The racks are aluminum.

I have a F250 with a tool box behind the cab but no racks. Today, if I need to haul my ladder(s) (or anything long) around, I also have to pull the trailer. I was thinking it may be a good purchase. I also thought the side boxes would be really convenient for tools used more frequently. But, I'm always this way when I want to purchase something: I talk myself into it and rarely see the downside.

I'm wondering, those of you that have this set-up, are you happy with it?

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 02-23-2012, 01:59 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 1,018

Re: Tool Boxes And Ladder Racks

I found a set of (3) ladder racks for my van on craigslist for 75 bucks. Best investment I've made in a long time. I like having 3 bars so I can still carry 6' ladders or shorter materials. I know my van racks are not really relevent to your truck situation, but IMO you will be very happy with a rack. Side mount tool boxes I dont really care for. Most that I've seen are too small to put much in.

Old 02-23-2012, 02:32 PM   #3
Pro

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 1,480

Cant go wrong with ladder racks on your truck. Boxes are a bonus.
Old 02-23-2012, 03:22 PM   #4
Pro

Trade: siding
Rewards Points: 3,408

work pickup without racks is just half a truck
elementbldrs (02-24-2012), Gary H (02-23-2012), SC sawdaddy (02-24-2012)
Old 02-23-2012, 03:24 PM   #5
Pro

Trade: Remodel/Glazing
Rewards Points: 2,724

I see so many working GC's without lumber racks around here it blows my mind. I worked a long time as a sub without one, but once I had one, I would never go back. I have a box behind my cab and a set of side boxes that I need to mount.

My problem is I still need to use my truck bed to carry my portable glass rack every once in a while and the side boxes take up a lot of the space I use to walk around the rack. If I didn't have that to deal with, they would be mounted already.
Old 02-23-2012, 03:34 PM   #6
Pro

here's mine,don't take up much room
Attached Images

Old 02-23-2012, 03:58 PM   #7
Capra aegagrus

Trade: Remodeler
Rewards Points: 3,634

Big thumbs up on the ladder rack. Side toolboxes, not so much. They really eat your cargo space.
Old 02-23-2012, 04:06 PM   #8
Pro

Trade: Framer
Rewards Points: 2,242

If put on high side boxes, you will lose less space. Another advatage of high sides is that you can more stuff such as debris without it falling off the side. I had a rack for years along with weather guards highside boxes. But the rack was starting to rust out, and I was tired of loading tools in the rain and unloading them at home. Plus I like to carry my table saw with me and it takes up room in the front sit. The kids complined about riding in the back. So like A and E builders I got a contractors cap, with a bed slide. I like it, but I really do miss the rack though. Nothing says old school contractor like a rack.
Old 02-23-2012, 04:07 PM   #9
Pro

Trade: Masonry / Carpentry Construction and Restoration
Rewards Points: 2,562

I use the same rig truck to truck - gotta have racks and rail boxes. Mount them outward to save cargo space, won't take up much room.
Attached Thumbnails
Tool Boxes and Ladder Racks-buongiorno-159a.jpg  
Old 02-23-2012, 04:14 PM   #10
Pro

Trade: Framer
Rewards Points: 2,242

That looks just like my old set up, but my dodge is a single cab. Great minds think alike.
Old 02-23-2012, 06:33 PM   #11
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by superseal View Post
I use the same rig truck to truck - gotta have racks and rail boxes. Mount them outward to save cargo space, won't take up much room.
Super, what do you think about the price: $1200, for one set up and $800 for the other? The set pictured is $800. They both appear to be in great shape.

The set for $1200 is all aluminum, even the boxes. The weird thing is, both of these have been for sale for about a month.

I'm not sure what I'm going to do; still on the fence. Reason is, once you install racks and boxes it becomes a work truck. Now, it's an everything truck: washed and polished I could drive it to the finest restaurant. Not so much with the set-up installed.

Name:  5N45Gc5H33nf3K13M6c1a6f3df7645af118fc.jpg
Views: 1187
Size:  9.5 KB
Old 02-23-2012, 06:47 PM   #12
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC sawdaddy View Post
I found a set of (3) ladder racks for my van on craigslist for 75 bucks. Best investment I've made in a long time. I like having 3 bars so I can still carry 6' ladders or shorter materials. I know my van racks are not really relevent to your truck situation, but IMO you will be very happy with a rack. Side mount tool boxes I dont really care for. Most that I've seen are too small to put much in.

I have three racks on my trailer for that same reason.
Old 02-23-2012, 07:00 PM   #13
Pro

Trade: Masonry / Carpentry Construction and Restoration
Rewards Points: 2,562

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb4211 View Post
Super, what do you think about the price: $1200, for one set up and $800 for the other? The set pictured is $800. They both appear to be in great shape.

The set for $1200 is all aluminum, even the boxes. The weird thing is, both of these have been for sale for about a month.

I'm not sure what I'm going to do; still on the fence. Reason is, once you install racks and boxes it becomes a work truck. Now, it's an everything truck: washed and polished I could drive it to the finest restaurant. Not so much with the set-up installed.

Attachment 66477
That's a good price for system one and the boxes - I was just quoted like 800 per box from Reading.

Just fit your truck to make money,...then go make money so you can take this out around town and to the local restaurant. ...duh
Attached Thumbnails
Tool Boxes and Ladder Racks-viper-4b-2-.jpg   Tool Boxes and Ladder Racks-viper-006a.jpg   Tool Boxes and Ladder Racks-viper-013b.jpg  
Old 02-23-2012, 07:02 PM   #14
Pro

ooo that looks like a speedy one
Old 02-23-2012, 07:19 PM   #15
Pro

That car is awesome!!

I have a Charger that I use mostly when taking my daughter from place to place, not fast, just a little 6 cyl. I want to trade it in for some type of SUV. My wife has a VW Jetta.

But, I really love my truck and drive that most often.

Tool Boxes and Ladder Racks-truck-1.jpg

Tool Boxes and Ladder Racks-charger.jpg
Old 02-23-2012, 07:36 PM   #16
Pro

Trade: Construction and Remodeling
Rewards Points: 2,232

I say go for the racks and boxes. You can take the car if you need to go somewhere fancy. Heck I have a little car for buzzing around too, but I like driving my truck better, I'm proud to drive it around with ladders and crap hanging off of it

Those black boxes would look pretty sharp on that truck!

Dave
Old 02-23-2012, 07:52 PM   #17
Pro

This is probably my fifth or sixth truck and I had one van. But this is the only truck I had with any type of luxuries. All of my others didn't even have power windows, and some vinyl seats and no A/C...hated those especially wearing shorts in the summer.
Old 02-23-2012, 07:57 PM   #18

Trade: Gc
Rewards Points: 75

I'm picking up some system one racks tomorrow morning no boxes tho. Found them in craigslist. Its gonna make my life so much easier. I have currently been driving around with a 2x3 made rack for the back and then strapping the front to the roof of my truck via bungee cord going through the door hooked on the handles on the ceiling.
Old 02-23-2012, 08:13 PM   #19
Pro

Trade: carpenter
Rewards Points: 2,000

Sounds like a pretty good buy. I run a van with roof racks. I've always got an extension ladder and step ladder on board. You never know when you need them.
Old 02-23-2012, 08:34 PM   #20
Finish Carpenter

Trade: Finish Carpentry, Reno
Rewards Points: 2,710

Sides boxes are great if you set them up right. It helps if your not the type of person who worships their tools and is willing to throw away the cases....you can fit so much more in so much less space.

I will see if I can find a few photos of my set-up. Its nothing too fancy and I still have not completed it....but its 80% done.