Replacing My Dewalt Tools With Ryobi Tools

Old 02-03-2010, 10:15 PM   #1

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 83

Replacing My Dewalt Tools With Ryobi Tools

I want to know if I have just been lucky or do Ryobi tools hold up for others as they have for me. I have the whole collection of cordless Dewalt tools sitting in my garage collecting dust. Three years ago I had to go on a new home warranty repair and left my job site without my drill. I did not want to drive the forty five minutes back so I went to a Home Depot a half mile away to buy a cheap drill. It was an 18V Ryobi. For the next several month I would leave the Ryobi in my van just in case I forgot my drills again. If it got stolen, no big deal since I paid a cheap price for it. I ended up using it everyday and to be honest, I didn't see much difference between it and the Dewalt drills. As my Dewalt batteries died one by one, I thought it was stupid to pay so much for a Dewalt replacement battery when I can get a new Ryobi drill and battery for about the same price. Since then I have bought their 5 1/2 inch saw, router, driver, sawzall, flashlights and mitre saw. I had no problem with anyone of their tools and I use them everyday. The sawzall has gotten wet a few times from cutting plumbing pipes and it still works fine. All at about half the price of the top named tools. My question is, has anyone else had the kind of good luck using Ryobi tools as I have?

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 02-03-2010, 11:34 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: carpenter/ handyman
Rewards Points: 1,000

Re: Replacing My Dewalt Tools With Ryobi Tools

I don't know what kind of work that you do, but if your Ryobi tools are holding up then it must be really light work. My DeWalt cordless includes nail guns, rotary hammer, 1/2" impact, right angle drill, impact driver, screw gun, circulars saws & so on.
Ryobi is light duty & doesn't even make an effort to compete with heavy duty tools. Guys on this forum will defend their own brands of cordless for whatever reasons, but Ryobi, B&D, Skil, Craftsman most likely will not be on their lists. Ryobi is cheap because of what goes into it. You really do get what you pay for in tools.
Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstarre View Post
I want to know if I have just been lucky or do Ryobi tools hold up for others as they have for me. I have the whole collection of cordless Dewalt tools sitting in my garage collecting dust. Three years ago I had to go on a new home warranty repair and left my job site without my drill. I did not want to drive the forty five minutes back so I went to a Home Depot a half mile away to buy a cheap drill. It was an 18V Ryobi. For the next several month I would leave the Ryobi in my van just in case I forgot my drills again. If it got stolen, no big deal since I paid a cheap price for it. I ended up using it everyday and to be honest, I didn't see much difference between it and the Dewalt drills. As my Dewalt batteries died one by one, I thought it was stupid to pay so much for a Dewalt replacement battery when I can get a new Ryobi drill and battery for about the same price. Since then I have bought their 5 1/2 inch saw, router, driver, sawzall, flashlights and mitre saw. I had no problem with anyone of their tools and I use them everyday. The sawzall has gotten wet a few times from cutting plumbing pipes and it still works fine. All at about half the price of the top named tools. My question is, has anyone else had the kind of good luck using Ryobi tools as I have?

The Following User Says Thank You to stp57 For This Useful Post:
Winchester (02-03-2010)
Old 02-04-2010, 12:15 AM   #3
SEMI RETIRED

Rewards Points: 3,768

No offense to you but my grandsons play tools hold up better than any Ryobi They are prominently featured to the up & coming DIY pros at the local Casa de cheapo store.
Old 02-04-2010, 05:29 AM   #4
Pro

Trade: interior remodeling
Rewards Points: 1,448

I've had many Ryobe drills over the years--------Never killed one yet.$30.00 batteries.
The first one was a Christmas present.

I've never owned any other of their tools --look like homeowner quality.
Old 02-04-2010, 06:32 AM   #5
Pro

Trade: Remodeling
Rewards Points: 75
Send a message via Yahoo to RussellF

I was using a 4 1/2" Ryobi grinder about a year and a half ago and the thing caught fire on me while grinding some metal. I did not have the grinder for more than three years.......I vowed that I would never buy another one of their products after that. I went and got a DeWalt replacement.......
Old 02-04-2010, 06:35 AM   #6
Pro

Trade: General construction and remodeling
Rewards Points: 1,018

LOL, I started out with the yellow garbage too, but am smart enough to understand color of a tool does'nt make me money and i dont care if i'm not part of the "cool contractor clich" because my tools are'nt the "percieved" color....why do MOST guys buy yellow?? because they seen them advertised on TV and magazines- "so they have to be good right?" I fell into that, and after fighting the good fight, threw them in the trash, and tried the blue ryobi junk...

Tool- 10yrs later I still own everyone i bought, minus a sawzall that got left out in a thunderstorm one night. 10yrs later we're still using them all everyday...but we must not do much according to Steve Have'nt used them for much of anything over the past decade We've since changed all the battery's over to the lith-ion stuff....because thankfully ryobi has been nice enough to keep battery design the same since conception so i dont have to buy new tool packages every year because my battery's are junk and to just replace battery's, i'm only $1 shy of a completely new tool kit

These lil blue bastards had low inital cost, I've replace 6 battery's in 10yrs @ $29.99/for 2 on sale, and recently replaced 8 nickel battery's with 3 lith ions...investment wise, yep...they've made the business money and have'nt EVER let me down or not performed what i asked of it. I'm not cool though, since i have no deep seeded color of tool affiliation, I just stick to what works.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to IHI For This Useful Post:
BuildersII (02-14-2010), Gary1 (02-07-2010), KingRay (03-18-2010), mattrich (02-04-2010)
Old 02-04-2010, 07:36 AM   #7
Pro

Trade: Construction
Rewards Points: 286

Dewalt have always been crapy on the battery quality ever since they popped up. They have sort of got there act together with the new nano cells but even they are cheap compared to what other tool brands are using. The tools there self ain't too bad but not worth the price they are asking. I have had my same Makita set for near on 3 years now and the 3 main tools i started with are just about on there last legs but i can tell you they have been abused. Circular saw been used to cut block walls, drill been used to drill 4 " core through engineering brick, Impact has done well over 1 million screws in the last 3 years and ain't showing any sign of slowing down. If i could get ryobi stuff to last what i put them through then i would buy them. I could burn one of there drills out in 5 mins like i did with that crappy porter cable stuff. But if you look after them and use them as intended then they should last fine.
Old 02-04-2010, 07:43 AM   #8
Pro

Trade: carpenter
Rewards Points: 2,666

The ryobi stuff I have has been reliable for me.

The impact was $49 + $40 or something for 2 batteries, It has gone strong for 2 years. When I use it I'm driving 3" - 4 1/2" screws. It works fine.
Old 02-04-2010, 08:41 AM   #9
Pro

Trade: Bathroom Remodeling
Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Think about the difference in your tools and battery cost replacement of Dewalt being double the Ryobi the next time a customer balks at your prices and says, my uncle knows a fireman that does the work on the weekends and he charges 1/2 of what you do... (now you'll understand that tools cost what they do just like you cost what you do for a reason.)

(I'll bet the 1/2 price guy is using Ryobi too....)

The 3 top selling points of Dewalt's cordless line of tools for professionals is

#1 Reliability
#2 Extensive selection of products
#3 Power

Price is down at the bottom of the list.

-- I don't buy Dewalt products because they are pretty or they have commericials on TV or whatever. I buy them for the 3 reasons listed.

Batteries are engineered to last about 2 years with day in day out professional daily use.

If your cordless batteries are lasting 5 years, it doesn't mean you have some super battery or superior product, it just means you aren't use them at a full time, daily professional level. Cordless batteries are just like the tires on your truck, they have a mileage life to them and will reach that end of life faster or slower depending on how many miles a year you are driving them.

Last edited by Mike Finley; 02-04-2010 at 08:47 AM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mike Finley For This Useful Post:
72chevy4x4 (02-04-2010), SDC (02-04-2010), taylorconst (02-13-2010)
Old 02-04-2010, 09:43 AM   #10
Pro

Trade: Remodel/Deck
Rewards Points: 1,210

I don't own any Ryobi, but a while back I was visiting my parents and helped them install some hurricane shutters on their house. My father had bought the new green Li-Ion set. I was actually impressed! Nicely balanced and comfortable. Even up on a ladder reaching at all angles. Not bone crushing power, but plenty adequate. The even feel much better built than the old blue ones.

Don't know how they would hold up long term, but I think that has to do with what kind of work you use them for. Driving your typical screws and smaller drill bits, probably a long time. 4" hole saws, auger bits and lags, probably not. You should really use corded there anyway.

BTW, I have a bunch of Milwaukee cordless (now owned by TTI, which owns Ryobi) which I have been really happy with for the most part, except the M18 compact batteries and the M12. The V18's have been good. My old DeWalts have been good, and my even older Makita drill keeps running, though I only use those at the house these days, unless I need an extra to lend out.

I have to wonder if Ryobi, Milwaukee and Ridgid all actually use the same battery technology, being from the same parent company?

BTW, I recently purchased a Milwaukee cordless V18 SDS bare tool from amazon for around $60. Not bad! And, it's made in Germany!
Old 02-04-2010, 09:44 AM   #11
Pro

Trade: Remodeling
Rewards Points: 150

I use Ryobi as back up and loaner tools. The small footprint circ saw with the 5.5" blade does come in useful at times over the 6.5" ones I have. Daily use, I would not choose them. DIY tools at best.
Old 02-04-2010, 11:54 AM   #12
Geometrist

Trade: framing/remodeling
Rewards Points: 2,381

We refer to them as Toyobi. Myfirst Toyobi purchase was the 18v jigsaw. Just wanted it for birdsmouths and stair notches. What a piece of junk. I used it only one time. I now own the Ridgid 18v cordless. It is probably the best tool in the Ridgid line of 18v tools. The rest are heavy and/or crappy. I did recently buy the little Ryobi 4v kit just for the noise reducing ear protection. The little LED flashlight is decent too. HD had the whole kit for $50 the same day they had the Mil sliders.
Old 02-04-2010, 12:50 PM   #13

Rewards Points: 83

You guys can laugh all you want. What is considered light work? Framing? Kitchens? Flooring? Window replacement? Call it what you like. I never had a problem with a Ryobi tool. My Dewalts have had problems. The battery charger fried my 18v battery. They had a recall on them. One of my 18v drills went out and the Dewalt flashlight that came with the kit does not work. The 18v cordless sawzall is a waste of money.
Call them what you want, my Ryobi has performed just as well and do the same work as my Dewalts. I still have them in my garage. If can buy batteries for them and use them again. I see no reason to do so.
Old 02-04-2010, 01:26 PM   #14
Pro

Quote:
You guys can laugh all you want. What is considered light work? Framing? Kitchens? Flooring? Window replacement? Call it what you like. I never had a problem with a Ryobi tool. My Dewalts have had problems. The battery charger fried my 18v battery. They had a recall on them. One of my 18v drills went out and the Dewalt flashlight that came with the kit does not work. The 18v cordless sawzall is a waste of money.
Call them what you want, my Ryobi has performed just as well and do the same work as my Dewalts. I still have them in my garage. If can buy batteries for them and use them again. I see no reason to do so.
Between 2 complete job trailers outfitted with tools we put about 40 Dewalt cordless tools through their paces on a daily basis. In 4 years I've had in for repair one Dewalt recip saw, one Dewalt drill, 1 Milwaukee rotary hammer drill, 1 Bosch jig saw, 1 Porter Cable framing nailer (repaired 2 times). Adding it all up we have around 35 18 volt Dewalt cordless batteries and 10 chargers. Never had a battery get fried or a bad charger.

Not saying bad things don't happen to good people. But I'll play the odds that I'm a way better testing ground for Dewalt cordless then yourself and they have made me a sh*t load of money.

I don't have any allegiance to Dewalt, only to tools that return on their investment, if Dewalt cordless was a sh*tty system I'd be the first one to know it.

Tools are just that, they are tools to make money with.

PS - Try changing the light bulb on your flash light. Barring that, buy another one for $19.00 as a bare tool and stop your belly aching.
Old 02-04-2010, 02:54 PM   #15

Trade: roofing and building
Rewards Points: 25

i have to agree with mike..
most of my tools are dewalt a few of them ive had for years with no problems at all. they get abused on a regular bassis and just keep on going..
i have other makes aswell but the yellow fellows are the ones that are with me constantly and as mike said they had made me lots of £££.

but again it down to what you prefer
Old 02-04-2010, 03:14 PM   #16
Contractor of the Month

Trade: Control Systems
Rewards Points: 6,230

I don't own any Ryobi but I think it is priced very well if it work for you keep using it.

I must agree with Mike I've had really good luck with dewalt cordless drills; except I have swapped out quite a few batteries under warranty, there must be an underlying problem like a bad connection or something.

I know in another thread lots of guys were talking up hilti but after both my drill, driver and a battery died in 2 years I don't feel my 650 was well spent.
Old 02-04-2010, 03:32 PM   #17
Pro

One time I went to meet a guy to buy some of his used tools. One was a Dewalt cordless drill. I brought a battery along with me and when I put it in his tool and pulled the trigger the thing made a sound like bacon frying and a little smoke started coming out where the battery was connected. I quickly disconnected the battery hoping I hadn't fried the battery.

I marked the battery with a piece of tape and put it back into service and watched it, but it never seemed to have a problem. I didn't buy the drill of course.

Sh*t happens. Look at Toyota!
Old 02-04-2010, 03:53 PM   #18
The Deck Guy

Trade: Outdoor Design & Construction
Send a message via AIM to Greg Di

The simple solution to avoid color envy is to spray paint all your tools flat back. That way, people will think you are cool, like a ninja, no matter what type of tools you have.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Greg Di For This Useful Post:
BuildersII (02-14-2010), jlhaslip (02-04-2010), Mike Finley (02-04-2010)
Old 02-04-2010, 04:51 PM   #19
Pro

Trade: Student
Rewards Points: 250

I have never used a ryobi anything..call it want you want but for the price of tools versus the money we make with them cost isn't much of a factor to me.

Otoh I would be slightly embarrassed to break out my tools at a customers house and see that they had the same or better perceived quality tools than we use.

They may be the best thing since sliced bread..but I tend to think "low budget" when I see people using them.
Old 02-04-2010, 05:06 PM   #20
Contractor

Trade: Remodeling & Home Additions
Rewards Points: 2,098

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Finley View Post
The 3 top selling points of Dewalt's cordless line of tools for professionals is

#1 Reliability
#2 Extensive selection of products
#3 Power

Price is down at the bottom of the list.
I would reorder as
#1 Extensive selection of products
#2 Reliability
#3 Power

Little things like pulling out the yellow cordless jigsaw for a 2" wood flooring cut saved 3-4 minutes of getting out the corded tool and packing it back up at the end of the day...minutes AND frustration!