Nicad Battery Fix Repair Guide?

Old 03-16-2008, 06:03 PM   #1
New Guy

Trade: Carpentry
Rewards Points: 10

Nicad Battery Fix Repair Guide?

I stumbled by this site when looking for a new Dewalt 18v battery. Its linkremoved Its an ebook that is suppose teach you how to get more life out of nicd batteries. Is it like the surge technique? Anyone try it?

I am considering it since it only cost $3.99. I really dont want to spend $99 for 2 new Dewalt batteries. Pretty cheap fix, even if only works for a while.

Last edited by Nathan; 04-23-2009 at 03:23 PM.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 03-16-2008, 06:12 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: Residential Contractor
Rewards Points: 2,000

Re: Nicad Battery Fix Repair Guide?

Search the archives, this subject has been well covered.

Albert Einstein
Old 03-28-2008, 08:54 PM   #3
New Guy

Hi, sorry about not researching first. I wanted to follow up on this though.

I ended up risking a big $3.99. And low and behold, it works. The ebook was very well documented, and included a bunch of pics. The process was only about 3 or 4 steps, and took all of 10 minutes. Wish I would have thought of this myself. The guys got a good trick up his sleeve.

Saved me a bunch of money so far.
Old 04-13-2008, 04:30 AM   #4

Trade: remodeling

So, what is the trick. or where in the archives do I find it? Thanks!
Old 04-14-2008, 08:09 PM   #5

Trade: remodeling

Ok, I did the deed and shocked my battery packs back to service. I used the batteries on a golf cart for the power source, as the optimum voltage is 36 volts, and the golf cart has 6 - 6volt batteries (36 volts). The trick is to only hold the connection for a few seconds and check the battery pak voltage. You are looking for 1 - 1.5 volts (max) above the battery pak rated voltage. ANd all you have to do is burn out the "whiskers" (shorts between the plates, which does not take long with a high voltage and amperage source. On one of the battery paks, I held it for about 5 seconds and checked voltage, it was 19.1! I should have stopped there, but curiousity got the best of me, so I did it another few seconds, and voltage jumped to 20.3. OK, a little does a little bit of good, a lot does a lot of good, right? WRONG! I did it again, the voltage jumped to 21.1. Battery pak was still cool, so I tried it one more time, and just as I was fixing to pull the connection, one of the cells in the pak blew out. It sounded like a firecracker, and the pak shook a little, but that was it. No exterior damage to the battery case. I had to leave, but plan to open it tomorrow and check it out. Will probably buy another cell and solder it back in.

Last edited by Chick; 04-14-2008 at 08:11 PM.
Old 04-14-2008, 10:30 PM   #6
Pro

Trade: carpenter/ handyman
Rewards Points: 1,000

Thanks Chick,
I've been waiting to hear some horror stories before I tried it myself. Now I know when to stop (I think?). I would like to use my shop charger instead of a battery. I wonder what amps to set it on?
Steve
Old 04-15-2008, 12:08 AM   #7
New Guy

Yea, thats what can happen if not done properly. I was wanting to go a little extra also, but was afraid of blowing something up, glad I didn't now. This process needs to be done by the book.

The website can be found here ----> linkremoved Looks like the price is $5.99... Still worth it! Saved me $100 on my batteries!

Last edited by Nathan; 04-23-2009 at 03:23 PM.
Old 04-15-2008, 02:21 AM   #8
Pro

I finally read my Resurrection Guide only to find out that this technic only works with NiCad cells. I'm pretty sure all of my Dewalt Plus batteries are NiMH. I still have a couple of solid black packs which I'm sure are still NiCad, but I wouldn't have purchased this guide if I'd known I could only resurrect a couple of my batteries. What a bummer!
Steve
Old 04-15-2008, 07:39 PM   #9
Pro

Trade: Glazier 17 years. Now a Sparky in training.
Rewards Points: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by stp57 View Post
I finally read my Resurrection Guide only to find out that this technic only works with NiCad cells. I'm pretty sure all of my Dewalt Plus batteries are NiMH. I still have a couple of solid black packs which I'm sure are still NiCad, but I wouldn't have purchased this guide if I'd known I could only resurrect a couple of my batteries. What a bummer!
Steve
Dewalt doesn't make any NIMH batteries that I know of, never heard of a "Dewalt plus" battery. Only thing I've seen in an "XRP+" which is a NICAD. In fact all Dewalt batteries that I've ever seen are NICAD. With the exception if the new "Nano" batteries which are Lithium Ion.

Chick, you better be very careful with that cell that exploded, cadmium is HIGHLY TOXIC. I would suggest you do some home-work on that and proceed with caution.
Old 04-15-2008, 09:49 PM   #10
Pro

Thanks Colorado,
I looked at my batteries today & you are certainly correct. I wonder why the XRP+ last longer? I just assumed it was NIMH.
Steve
Old 04-16-2008, 12:18 AM   #11
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by stp57 View Post
Thanks Colorado,
I looked at my batteries today & you are certainly correct. I wonder why the XRP+ last longer? I just assumed it was NIMH.
Steve

You're welcome. As for the XRP it's supposed to have 40% more run time than the standard 18v battery. I'm 99% sure XRP or XRP+ is the same, just a marketing technique to make you think it's better. The XRP is rated at 2.4 amp hours, same as the 18 volt Nano.
Old 04-16-2008, 01:41 AM   #12
Feedin the geese

Trade: Finish Carpenter
Rewards Points: 254

2.4 amp hours...

I think I can hear my panasonics laughing.
Old 04-16-2008, 06:14 PM   #13
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joining_heads@c View Post
2.4 amp hours...

I think I can hear my panasonics laughing.
Yep, I saw the Panasonic 18v has 3.5 amp hrs. Pretty impressive for sure. Going to have to give them a try one of these days.
Old 04-26-2008, 09:04 PM   #14

Trade: electrical

stp57, I've been thinking on doing this resurrection on some of my batteries, but what I have not find any info about once you do it, my question is, how long those the battery last, I mean do I need to redo the procedure often?
Old 04-26-2008, 09:37 PM   #15
Pro

fobiaibof,
I resurrected a 14.4v Dewalt that had been sitting (dead) on my bench for 6 months. It actually had about 1/2 a volt left in it. I jumped started it with a 18v battery (fully charged) for about 5 seconds at a time till it was reading about 16V( check the voltage after every jolt). I put it in the charger & it took forever to charge fully, but it has been working like a new battery every since. I have dine the same thing with a 18v using four 6v lattern batteries wired in series to total 24volts. It worked as well. I don't know how long it will work well for?
One 14.4v would only charge up to 14volts. I took it apart (real easy) & checked each individual battery cell (1.2v each) & could not find a bad cell. Now it is working fine? The only thing I can figure is that I must have accidently corrected a bad connection when I removed the cover?
Steve
Old 04-28-2008, 10:54 PM   #16
New Guy

Anyone thinking about trying this, IT WORKS. Just follow the directions carefully. My batteries are still going strong about a month after performing this technique.
Old 05-04-2008, 08:52 AM   #17

Trade: electrical

thanks guys I'll try that tonight, i just need to get a couple of thinks from loews.
Old 06-07-2008, 06:55 PM   #18

Trade: electrician

Hi

Thinking of trying to repair my richmond 14.4v batteries, they have a third pin labelled S, does anyone now what this is, also what is the best way to connect the higher voltage supply to the terminals?
is the repair info available free anywhere

Thanks

Paul
Old 06-07-2008, 11:33 PM   #19
Pro

The 14.4v I resurrected would not charge before & now charges to over 16volts, but it looses 50% of that charge over night v.s the usual 10% drop. I don't know why it does this, I'll have to write the author of Battery Resurrection & ask him.
Steve
Old 06-08-2008, 09:17 PM   #20

Trade: Home Renovation

Can somebody post the guide here for everyone??

I have one 14.4 that's bleen sitting for months. I'd like to give it a try.