Need To Retire My Old Hitachi EC12 Compressor... What's Your Favorite?

Old 01-02-2018, 10:47 PM   #1
Pro

Trade: Framing, Carpentry
Rewards Points: 175

Need To Retire My Old Hitachi EC12 Compressor... What's Your Favorite?

My Hitachi EC12 needs retirement and I've been browsing different sizes and brands, and wanted to see what everyone here likes to use. I know Rolair makes great stuff, and I've heard good things about Makita as of late. I was also contemplating California Air Tools compressors because they're oil free and almost as quiet as my Rolair JC10 which would be a boon since I often work inside apartments with occupied neighbors.

I was looking at the Rolair VT25BIG, the Makita MAC5200 or the California Air Tools 4620AC.

I know all of these should run framers all day long, with the benefit of the Cal Air being its oil-free and super quiet, and mostly doing remodels- I should never be starved of anything. The question comes down to when I want to spray an apartment full of texture. I know the Rolair is rated 100% cycle and the Cal Air is 70/30 (not to exceed 45m-1hr of constant run) and I don't know about the Makita. If I went the Cal Air tool route, I could take the 170 I save from the cheaper compressor and roll that into a 10 gal Rolair Air Keg.

Annnnnnnnnd that's where I'm at. Confused as hell. Anyone use a spare air tank for texture jobs or have experience with California Air Tools? From everything I've seen, the quiet factor is awfully enticing, especially if the main thing I'd need for texture is volume that can come from a secondary tank.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 01-02-2018, 11:52 PM   #2
edward trowelhands

Trade: Diplomat
Rewards Points: 3,616

Re: Need To Retire My Old Hitachi EC12 Compressor... What's Your Favorite?

I don't know much about texture guns, but I run a small one continuously on a JC 10 just fine, with half the output of the 4620AC. So maybe you'd be OK with the 70% duty cycle.

The other two compressors seem more robust, but the CAT compressors are really nice. I have two compressors with CAT pumps: the JC10 and a Husky silent flow.

Advertisement

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Golden view For This Useful Post:
SmallTownGuy (01-03-2018), sy85 (01-03-2018)
Old 01-03-2018, 12:35 AM   #3
Pro

By CAT compressor- you meant California Air Tools? Or is it a special type? I do believe I saw someone, in some forum during all my googling say that the Husky's are rebranded California Air Tools but I wasn't sure.

If that's the case and Rolair used a similar compressor for their JC10 (I also have and love it), then I may just be sold on getting that in addition to some kind of accessory tank. I wasn't doing the actual texturing- rather, we had another employee who was more experienced with that doing it. The only reason I figure it was overboard for my hitachi (we've textured once but really liked the outcome and plan to do it more because of that) is because he moves exceptionally fast and treats his tools rough, and rather than take the time to let things catch up (even if we're good having to pay him an extra hour)- he goes full bore til he can't.

I really like the idea, robustness etc of the big Rolair- the wheels and everything, but the main thing holding me back, quite literally is the noise- which is really why I'm seeing if there's alternate methods of working with a lessor compressor and getting a good finish. From everything I read, if you have the luxury of being able to afford the time to go a little slower, and use the accessory tank to bulk up the volume, the setup I'm thinking of will work quite well, in addition to possibly prolonging the life of the new compressor.

I did read on some other forum how guys go full blast texturing with a budget pancake compressor, which usually gets replaced on a yearly basis- and this setup sounds like it would be a good, heavier duty alternative.

Old 01-03-2018, 12:44 AM   #4
edward trowelhands

Trade: Diplomat
Rewards Points: 3,616

CAT=California Air Tools.

Yeah, I've also seen people go full bore with pancake compressors. The 2HP CAT will have about twice the CFM so will probably be at less than 70% duty. Either way probably last far longer than a pancake compressor. Both the JC10 and the Husky I have are 1HP compressors. Definitely can't quite keep up with 1 framer sheathing.
Old 01-03-2018, 05:18 AM   #5
John the Builder

Trade: Carpenter/Builder
Rewards Points: 7,256

Up to massive air requirements - what Golden View said. Anything that says California Air on the tank.
Old 01-03-2018, 09:01 AM   #6
Pro

Trade: Contractor and Grunt
Rewards Points: 1,155

Quote:
Originally Posted by sy85 View Post
By CAT compressor- you meant California Air Tools? Or is it a special type? I do believe I saw someone, in some forum during all my googling say that the Husky's are rebranded California Air Tools but I wasn't sure.

If that's the case and Rolair used a similar compressor for their JC10 (I also have and love it), then I may just be sold on getting that in addition to some kind of accessory tank. I wasn't doing the actual texturing- rather, we had another employee who was more experienced with that doing it. The only reason I figure it was overboard for my hitachi (we've textured once but really liked the outcome and plan to do it more because of that) is because he moves exceptionally fast and treats his tools rough, and rather than take the time to let things catch up (even if we're good having to pay him an extra hour)- he goes full bore til he can't.

I really like the idea, robustness etc of the big Rolair- the wheels and everything, but the main thing holding me back, quite literally is the noise- which is really why I'm seeing if there's alternate methods of working with a lessor compressor and getting a good finish. From everything I read, if you have the luxury of being able to afford the time to go a little slower, and use the accessory tank to bulk up the volume, the setup I'm thinking of will work quite well, in addition to possibly prolonging the life of the new compressor.

I did read on some other forum how guys go full blast texturing with a budget pancake compressor, which usually gets replaced on a yearly basis- and this setup sounds like it would be a good, heavier duty alternative.

I got this one, I think it’s the same pump/motor as the 4620ac with a bigger tank and wheels. Better price too, I got mine for $220. IIRC.

https://www.menards.com/main/tools-h...611411&ipos=12

Last edited by Big Johnson; 01-03-2018 at 09:05 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Big Johnson For This Useful Post:
sy85 (01-03-2018)
Old 01-03-2018, 02:00 PM   #7
John the Builder

Trade: Carpenter/Builder
Rewards Points: 7,256

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden view View Post
I don't know much about texture guns, but I run a small one continuously on a JC 10 just fine, with half the output of the 4620AC. So maybe you'd be OK with the 70% duty cycle.

The other two compressors seem more robust, but the CAT compressors are really nice. I have two compressors with CAT pumps: the JC10 and a Husky silent flow.
Looking for a quiet trimmer compressor is how I found out about ContractorTalk and the JC 10. There was a thread here where someone had done a very excellent job testing small compressors.

When I shopped the JC 10 specs, I found out the head was physically identical to the CAT heads.

So I bought a CAT head.
The Following User Says Thank You to SmallTownGuy For This Useful Post:
sy85 (01-03-2018)
Old 01-03-2018, 10:33 PM   #8
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Johnson View Post
I got this one, I think it’s the same pump/motor as the 4620ac with a bigger tank and wheels. Better price too, I got mine for $220. IIRC.

https://www.menards.com/main/tools-h...611411&ipos=12
:shakes fist: I really wish Menards was out here in Southern Cal. Words can't describe how often I read about good deals and good things about that store. That price for the 10 gal is VERRRRRRRRY enticing. Even if I need to pay shipping, I'm probably going to pull the trigger on that for sure. Way cheaper than the 300 something price I saw it for on Amazon. And heck, it's probably not really that much heavier than my hitachi.. I had messaged CAT about my use and they recommended it as well for if I needed the higher volume of air for texture. Worse case scenario, I don't cycle it as much, the compressor will last longer, and everything works out well. Now I just need to debate about getting an autodrain since I seem to be really miserable at draining my compressors- then again the fact that this has a drain in the lowest possible point of the tank is another highlight. No carrying and tilting the tank to make sure I get all the water out.

Advertisement