Need New Table Saw

Old 04-05-2010, 09:58 AM   #1

Trade: Residential construction
Rewards Points: 75

Need New Table Saw

Im in search of a new jobsite table saw. some of the guys on the job have the Bosch 4100 with the gravity rise. I like it, but its pricey. Porter Cable has nice one with wheels and stand for half the money, but ive never used one to see how it performs. Amazon users give it good ratings. So, I would like to hear some feedback. Thanks

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 04-05-2010, 02:43 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: Guy who plays with wood
Rewards Points: 504

Re: Need New Table Saw

Most of the guys here run Bosch, Dewalt or Ridgid. Plenty of comments on all of them. Try the search button.
I don't recall ever seeing anything on a PC table saw.
I would guess most of the Amazon reviews are from Harry Homeowner.

Old 04-05-2010, 03:02 PM   #3

I found stuff on the Bosch in other threads but nothing on the PC. Theres a lot of homeowner reviews on Amazon but quite a few pros too.
So, does anyone have a Porter Cable job site table saw. Hows it rate.
Old 04-05-2010, 03:14 PM   #4

Trade: Windows, Doors, Siding
Rewards Points: 10

Most of my crews use the DeWalt Compact 10" Table Saw. It's small so it's easy to keep it in a locked box so you don't have to unload it if you don't park in your garage. It's built to be constantly moved around. If you just need to rip somehting quick you can bring it out on the ground or carry a small folding table if you want to stand while using it. I have guys that bought it when it came out, use it everyday and its still great. They don't take care of their tools either.
Old 04-05-2010, 03:21 PM   #5
Pro

Trade: Remodel/Deck
Rewards Points: 1,178

What's the model number of the PC you're looking at? I can't find one on Amazon that is cheaper than the Bosch. Depending on what you will be using it for, you may want to look at the DW745. It's light and compact, and has plenty of power for most applications. Not great for sheet goods, though. Rip capacity is only 16". I love that little saw!

I would stay away from PC, now that B&D owns them, and have made that their homeowner grade. If you're going to use this saw for making money, and need more capacity than the DW745, stick with the Bosch, or maybe the Makita.
Old 04-05-2010, 03:32 PM   #6

Believe it or not Ive been using a ryobi saw for years. The BT model with sliding miter table. What I like about it is the router table hookup,came in handy many times. Has lots of power but is not that portable. I have a utility truck with sliding lock bed and it does not fit with the stationary stand so I just set it up on saw horses. I only paid 200 for it and that was before the new generation of job site saws hit the market.
It still runs but the fence handle is stripped and falls out. the miter table was never accurate and I never used it. Plus it takes up to much room in my truck.
So Ive talked myself into a new saw.
Old 04-05-2010, 03:40 PM   #7

Amazon is funny with their pricing. I saw a drill chuck on there for over 100 dollars . If im looking for something I go through all the pages and I find 2 to 4 different prices for the same tool. The one Pc I saw on Amazon is overpriced by 300 dollars. Its a 300 dollar saw at blowes.

And yes Dewalt owns black and decker and Pc. Very sad. I stopped buying Dewalt when they headed to Mexico. They cheapened their cordless tools so not to compete with Dewalt, but i havent seen any decrease in quality on their routers and sanders. not sure bout their nail guns
Old 04-05-2010, 09:12 PM   #8
;-p

Trade: I do that too!
Rewards Points: 2,334

Rigid.........
4 words.......
AWESOME.....
4 times

Old 04-05-2010, 10:46 PM   #9

the ridgid saw is very nice. I have tried that one out and think its even nicer than the bosch. But, im not ready to spend that money. The PC saw at Lowes is model pcb220ts. It is different from the one on amazon. you hit a button on amazon to see the newer version of the pc and up pops the dewalt. Seems they are downgrading the pc line. I noticed the bevel capability was 47 degrees on the amazon pc and only 45 degree on the cheaper lowes model. probably more cheap grades on it too.
It pays to do research.

In contention now are the bosch 600 $, ridgid 500$ , makita [havent checked price], and pc 300$

Well think Ill wait a bit longer. A little Jb weld, some tuning and improvised stand ought to keep my saw going for now. Meanwhile Ill check CL for any deals.
Old 04-06-2010, 02:26 AM   #10
Pro

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 272

That ridgid is a tremendous value at $500, but I'd pay an extra $100 if it was made in the USA
Old 04-06-2010, 04:35 AM   #11
Remodeling Professionals

Trade: Remodeling Contractor
Rewards Points: 500

I snagged that Ridgid two black fridays ago for $299! Best "Portable" TS I've used.
Old 04-06-2010, 06:31 AM   #12
Finish Carpenter

Trade: Finish Carpentry, Reno
Rewards Points: 2,658

I had a Ryobi BT with the sliding table, it wasn't a bas saw...but I got a used Bosch 4100 off craigslist from a widow....it was practly new... The Bosch and Makita are pricy but you get what you pay for with them...both a GREAT saws...
Old 04-06-2010, 07:35 AM   #13
Pro

Trade: carpenter/ handyman
Rewards Points: 1,000

Lowes has the DeWalt 744 on sale with stand for $399.
I wish I could have got it at this price before I bought my 745 at HD on sale a couple of months ago. The 744 is larger & has a little more metal on it.
http://www.lowes.com/pd_246259-70-DW...51&qvRedirect=

Steve
Old 04-06-2010, 08:09 AM   #14
Pro

Trade: hardwood floor contractor & so much more
Rewards Points: 2,764

Installing hardwood floor, I don't typically have to be extremely accurate on my rips & most other cuts are just freehanded, but for the money, I've had really good luck with a cheapo ryobi for a jobsite saw.Has plenty of power for hickory, oak & exotics. Have been eyeballing the rigid for a few years now, but there's always been a tool I needed worse & until that poor little cheapo finally takes a crap, I'll probably keep dragging it outta the trailer. That said, a new rigid is on my shopping list again this year. We'll just have to see how the cash flow goes.
Old 04-06-2010, 08:39 AM   #15
Wood Craftsman

Trade: High End Remodeling & Refurbishing
Rewards Points: 4,192
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by buildenterprise View Post
I snagged that Ridgid two black fridays ago for $299! Best "Portable" TS I've used.
Serious question: How do you like that saw? I have been thinking about picking that up , no need for it write now, but I wanted to know from someone that has used it. how is that fence and what do you like the most about it?
Thank you
Brian
Old 04-06-2010, 08:57 AM   #16
Zimmermann

Trade: Wood Cutter
Rewards Points: 250

For an extra $100.00 get the dewalt 10". Every cabinet maker I know sends there guys out with one. The rack and pinion fence is really accurate. Taunton gave them best overall 2 years in a row. That's who's reviews I take the que from
The Following User Says Thank You to BrianFox For This Useful Post:
mikeswoods (04-06-2010)
Old 04-06-2010, 09:39 AM   #17
Pro

Trade: interior remodeling
Rewards Points: 1,286

I've had the DeWalt for nearly three years--It's stayed accurate and trouble free.

I like the compact size and tough metal cage.I use it for cabinet installs along with some rough work.
Old 04-06-2010, 09:47 AM   #18
Pro

Trade: Remodel/Deck
Rewards Points: 1,178

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinwheel View Post
Installing hardwood floor, I don't typically have to be extremely accurate on my rips & most other cuts are just freehanded, but for the money, I've had really good luck with a cheapo ryobi for a jobsite saw.Has plenty of power for hickory, oak & exotics. Have been eyeballing the rigid for a few years now, but there's always been a tool I needed worse & until that poor little cheapo finally takes a crap, I'll probably keep dragging it outta the trailer. That said, a new rigid is on my shopping list again this year. We'll just have to see how the cash flow goes.
Pinwheel, your real name wouldn't happen to be Carlos Osorio, whould it? If so, could you spot me a some $$ for a SawStop?
Old 04-06-2010, 09:55 AM   #19
Pro

Trade: hardwood floor contractor & so much more
Rewards Points: 2,764

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustbucket View Post
Pinwheel, your real name wouldn't happen to be Carlos Osorio, whould it? If so, could you spot me a some $$ for a SawStop?

Took me a minute to realize what you were talking about.

Nope, not me, after 30 years of running a tablesaw, I've still got all 10 digits
Old 04-06-2010, 10:07 AM   #20

Was looking for saws on craigslist last night and found a bosch 4100 with gravity rise for 100$. Unfortunately he already sold it. Im going to keep looking.