Milwaukee Cordless Vs Ridgid Cordless

Old 06-06-2008, 10:03 AM   #1
Pro

Trade: carpenter
Rewards Points: 2,566

Milwaukee Cordless Vs Ridgid Cordless

So which is genarally built better?

I won't be using them all day everyday. I like a cordless circular saw when I am sheathing a roof. 2-3 days a month. and the drill is used fairly often. a ripper (recip saw) is convienient once in a while.

I just returned my second ryobi lithium set with battery/charger problems. http://www.homedepot.ca/webapp/wcs/s...k=P_PartNumber
I thought that I could get away with a lesser brand based on my limited usage. But I do need more than a dozen charges too. for $350 I want thousands.

Anyway, homedepot has a 4 piece milwaukee set for $400 http://www.homedepot.ca/webapp/wcs/s...k=P_PartNumber(sale) it has a
1.drill
2.flashlight
3.ripper. The one in the store lokks more like a real one. not the gay one in the picture.
4.circular saw

It also has a ridgid set for $450 (sale)http://www.homedepot.ca/webapp/wcs/s...k=P_PartNumber
it has
1.drill
2.flashlight
3.somekind of impact driver deely
4.ripper
5.circular saw.

I love my corded milwaukee tools. But I'm not brand loyal at all. any body have any information or opinions they want to share? bTW I believe that both kits are ni-cad. Thanks.
John

P.s I guess I could get the old style (seemingly more reliably) ni-cad ryobi circular saw and 2 batteries.http://www.homedepot.ca/webapp/wcs/s...k=P_PartNumber
I've had ryobi in the past,, They were ok . My wife still uses my OLD 14.4 volt drill.

Last edited by JT Wood; 06-06-2008 at 10:20 AM.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 06-06-2008, 10:14 AM   #2
Pro

Trade: Plumbing & HVAC, I specialize in Hydronic Heating and more specifically in Radiant Floor Heating
Rewards Points: 500

Re: Milwaukee Cordless Vs Ridgid Cordless

Ridgid is crap compared to Milwaukee. Clumsy and poor design. But if you don't need professional grade tools (and if you are using Ryobi you are using homeowner grade crap) then you may be happy with Ridgid.

Old 06-06-2008, 02:21 PM   #3
Palisade Point Const.

Trade: Remodeling/Finish/Framing/Log
Rewards Points: 1,000

I have a Millwakee 18v drill, and it works pretty well, power and run time are as good as any other good drill. I haven't used any rigid tools, but I know a couple people that have them, and they are all pretty happy with them. Rigid supposably offers a lifetime warranty on their batteries, so that's a big thing in favor of rigid. I'd recommend looking at a couple other good brands as well- Makita, Dewalt, Panasonic, Bosch, ect all make excellent tools.
Old 06-06-2008, 05:03 PM   #4
Pro

Trade: Fence Contractor
Rewards Points: 75

About five years ago I switched from 18V Milwaukee back to Dewalt becase the batteris wouldn't hold a charge. But then I got the V28 and it has way more power and the batteries last a great long time if you don't hammerdrill into concrete.

Then agian, the company I worked for over the winter all had rigid, and seemed to work fine.

Then again again, didn't Ryobi buyout Milwaukee a few years ago?
Old 06-06-2008, 05:15 PM   #5
Pro

Trade: General Construction
Rewards Points: 552

In that price range I would look at and try Makita if you have the chance. The drill and circular saw in the Makita kit are nice.

The Makita kit charges faster than the Milwuakee, is lighter, and has a smaller profile all around.
Old 06-06-2008, 05:28 PM   #6
Pro

Trade: Plumbing & HVAC, I specialize in Hydronic Heating and more specifically in Radiant Floor Heating

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcf View Post

nope
Old 06-06-2008, 06:53 PM   #7
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcf View Post
About five years ago I switched from 18V Milwaukee back to Dewalt becase the batteris wouldn't hold a charge. But then I got the V28 and it has way more power and the batteries last a great long time if you don't hammerdrill into concrete.

Then agian, the company I worked for over the winter all had rigid, and seemed to work fine.

I might be crazy but I was under the impression that ryobi,milwaukee and ridgis are all made by the same parent company.

I definitly want to get quality tools. My corded tools are all top quality. I gave ryobi a try because of the warranty and the fact they are not my primary tools. This apparently was a mistake. I basically am willing to spend up to $450 -$500 for the set. Anybody else heard anything else about milwaukee batteries not being reliable. Any first hand experience.
I believe the ridgid does have lifetime battery policy ( with the correct registration). I'm leaning towards milwaukee. except the alleged battery problems. In my experience any cordless tools that I have had don't break, the batteries crap out.
Old 06-06-2008, 07:18 PM   #8
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by hughjazz View Post
I might be crazy but I was under the impression that ryobi,milwaukee and ridgis are all made by the same parent company.
I don't know about Ridgid, but Milwaukee and Ryobi are both OWNED by the same parent company. There is a huge difference between being made by and owned by.

They are completely separate companies with separate factories and product lines. Just because you might hate one is no reason not to buy the other.

Now Dewalt and B&D is a completely different story.
Old 06-06-2008, 07:27 PM   #9
Pro

[quote=22rifle;448913]I don't know about Ridgid, but Milwaukee and Ryobi are both OWNED by the same parent company. There is a huge difference between being made by and owned by.

Agreed. ryobi is a d.i.y tool
milwaukee is pro stuff.
ridgid I am unsure about
Old 06-06-2008, 08:06 PM   #10

Trade: plumber
Rewards Points: 10

stay away from rigid unless you're talking about hand tools. Milwaukee makes good corded tools, but i hear their batteries aren't that good, plus their cordless drill looks cheap to me. there is a lot of play in the connection between the battery, and the handle. makita tools are decent, but their cordless drills have issues with the chuck, clutch, and gears. they're light weight, but i never trusted light weight tools (cheap plastic, gears, etc) i never had a problem with dewalt xrp tools in the past. i would stay away from dewalt cheaper tools though (weak gears, battery, etc).
Old 06-06-2008, 08:17 PM   #11
The Grand Wazoo

Trade: It blowed up real good!
Rewards Points: 1,452

There is a reason you can only buy Rigid power tools at Home Despair.
Old 06-06-2008, 09:01 PM   #12
i need a bigger hammer

Trade: Carpentry, custom woodwork
Rewards Points: 25

i got the full ridgid set for a gift 2 years ago. the impact gun is light and has more toque than any other 18v impact driver. the other tools (sawzall, circulat saw, drill/hammerdrill, flashlight) are heavy but built well, they hold up great to daily use. the circular saw cuts more and better than any other cordless i've seen.
after 2 years, my impact gun died last week, and one battery won't hold a full charge. home depot replaced them, free of charge.
i use these tools daily, for my business, and they work great. also, home depot has a full waranty on everything, including batteries and chargers, and will replace them on the spot (not fix them).
once the home depot warranty runs out, ridgid themselves warranties the tools for life.
i would recommend ridgid, its a great kit.
my other recommendation would be dewalt tho.

Last edited by workswithwood; 06-07-2008 at 10:12 AM.
Old 06-06-2008, 09:06 PM   #13
I no spell good

Trade: No Longer Zoned
Rewards Points: 226

I have a bunch of Milwaukee tools, including some cordless. I also (inherited) have Ridgid power tools.
Between the two, hands down, Milwaukee is better. The Ridgid tools work but I'm not happy with a single one of them. I have a few problems with the Milwaukees but overall, based on their performance, I'd have no problem buying anything Milwaukee. I most certainly won't be buying Ridgid power tools in the future (except for plumbing hand tools).
Old 06-06-2008, 09:07 PM   #14
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by workswithwood View Post
people that say dont buy them are only saying that because they come from home depot.
that's a load of BS. some may, but to make that as a blanket statement is BS.
Old 06-06-2008, 10:38 PM   #15
I like Green things

Trade: Custom Carpentry Services
Rewards Points: 3,990

get a festool drill brushless motors, 1 million screws before service. Oh, nevermind that is the only cordless tool they make, maybe because all other tools should have cords!
Old 06-06-2008, 11:03 PM   #16
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarnerConstInc. View Post
get a festool drill brushless motors, 1 million screws before service. Oh, nevermind that is the only cordless tool they make, maybe because all other tools should have cords!

Well yesterday I was cutting the excess sheeting off the gable end on a 6/12 looking about 35' to the ground, I was more than happy to use a cordless saw. I don't need to worry about running power to the roof, or tripping on the cord or stepping on the cord when cutting. 7/16 osb is not what I would consider a heavy workout neither. Maybe you should have a cord. LoL just kidding..
Old 06-07-2008, 10:11 AM   #17
i need a bigger hammer

Trade: Carpentry, custom woodwork
Rewards Points: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by 22rifle View Post
that's a load of BS. some may, but to make that as a blanket statement is BS.

i apologize and retract my statement.
Old 06-07-2008, 10:39 AM   #18
Pro

Trade: Glazier 17 years. Now a Sparky in training.
Rewards Points: 75

Personally I've only owned a Milwaukee 18V hammer drill. It was a POS in my opinion. The batteries were an absolute joke. Only lasted about a year.

As for Ridgid I've never owned any of their tools. The best feature I see with the Ridgid is the lifetime warranty on tools and batteries. I don't think any other manufacturer can top that.

Edit to add: That warranty is only good on the new tools and batteries purchased with them. From what I've heard if you go buy a battery separate it's not covered under the lifetime warranty.

Last edited by Colorado Fatboy; 06-07-2008 at 10:43 AM.
Old 06-07-2008, 11:37 AM   #19
Pro

Trade: Carpentry

I've been using ridgid tools for the last year or so on a daily basis for my company, had a bad battery, got a new one free. the tools work as good as any other brand i've used (makita, dewalt, panasonic) yes, they are sold at HD, i don't like that co. but, good tools, good price when compared to other brands, and a warrenty they stand behind. I got no problems with them
Old 06-07-2008, 11:39 AM   #20
Pro

Trade: Kitchen & Bath

Couple of misconceptions:

I've been looking into Rigid 18V lithium cordless lately and I'm pretty sure there are a few misconceptions about Rigid in this thread:

The batteries that come with a tool purchase enjoy the same lifetime warranty as the tools when properly registered, however, any batteries purchased seperately come with a 3 year warranty. So you woulld have to buy 2 sets of tools to get the 3 lifetime guarenteed batteries you actually need for a 4 or more piece set.(yes, I know you would have 4 batteries, but 3 is the minimum number that should actually come with sets imo)

Rigid tools are sold at other locations other than Home Depot. If you go to Rigid's website you can find a link in the dealer locator for non-orange box retailers.