Max Framing Nailer - Paper & Plastic Strip?

Old 03-26-2010, 10:33 PM   #1
Pro

Trade: Custom Metal Fabrication/Residential Construction

Max Framing Nailer - Paper & Plastic Strip?

Hey I was interested in getting the low profile Max FRH nailer (SN883RH). When I read the review it said it uses both paper strip and plastic strip nails. Sounds great to me but do have some questions to any Max users...

Does the paper and plastic strip nails both work equally well in the gun or is one better than the other? Also, what paper strip brands work? For instance, will paslode nails work since they are paper (doubt it)?

So if you can fill me in on the performance that would be great. Now I only have Hitachi nailers and no problems - just getting nails sometimes is a pain. Thats why I want to go with the paper/plastic so I can get paper strips when available and vice versa.

Thanks

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 03-27-2010, 06:12 AM   #2
Pro

Trade: General Contracting/CM

Re: Max Framing Nailer - Paper & Plastic Strip?

I use the larger Max FRH nailer (Superframer I believe) and always have used Bostitch plastic collated nails with no problems. When Western Tool Supply was in business around here I was nearly buying them by the pallet because they were such a good deal. Some guys don't like all the little plastic bits everywhere but it never bothered me. Also, I feel the plastic collated hold up better when left out in the elements. As for the paper collated, sorry, never had any experience with them. Your going to be real happy with that gun though.

Old 03-27-2010, 02:10 PM   #3
Feedin the geese

Trade: Finish Carpenter

I have the gun but only use plastic collated nails because they are easier to find here, plus the durability factor stated by drew.

It's a great gun. Light and compact but not lacking in power,
Old 03-27-2010, 06:56 PM   #4
Pro

Trade: Custom Metal Fabrication/Residential Construction

Ive always use plastic strip and never cared about the plastic bits (unless it catches you in the eye, that sucks). But I figure if I have a gun that uses both it would be nice to know what kind fit the gun...Im not for sure but think paslodes are only good for the paslode guns, so what else is there then. Either way, its not gonna prevent me from getting the nailer.

Thanks guys