Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

Looking to buy a PLS 360, but have a few questions.

4K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  J F 
#1 ·
I have been in the market for a new laser, my current Dewalt rotary laser needs to be replaced.

I have been researching and reading reviews and have narrowed it down to a PLS 360. I have the PLS 5 and that has served me well. I will be using the 360 for indoor and outdoor use.

I would just like your general thoughts from those of you that have experience with this laser. I am also wondering how wide the detector clamp opens. I usually just end up attaching the detectors to 1x3's or 2x3's and was wondering if the clamp opened wide enough for those.

Finally, I was wondering if I needed to purchase the tripod adapter to mount it to my standard transit tripod. I see they are selling one, but its just not 100% clear to me if i need it or not.

Thanks

#4 ·
I have been in the market for a new laser, my current Dewalt rotary laser needs to be replaced.

I have been researching and reading reviews and have narrowed it down to a PLS 360. I have the PLS 5 and that has served me well. I will be using the 360 for indoor and outdoor use.

I would just like your general thoughts from those of you that have experience with this laser. I am also wondering how wide the detector clamp opens. I usually just end up attaching the detectors to 1x3's or 2x3's and was wondering if the clamp opened wide enough for those.
We have that instrument. It's the bomb for larger projects. We replaced our rotary with it. The PLS is smaller & more compact than a rotary & has no moving parts to go out of whack.

I don't recall how wide the detector bracket opens, but it clamps to our grade rod & that's around 2".

Finally, I was wondering if I needed to purchase the tripod adapter to mount it to my standard transit tripod. I see they are selling one, but its just not 100% clear to me if i need it or not.

Thanks
You need the adapter if you want to use the tool on a standard 5/8"x11 mount. It's set up for a mini (camera) tripod mount, which is a 1/4"x20 thread, IIRC.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.