Laser Rangefinder / Estimator

Old 06-11-2009, 05:21 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

Laser Rangefinder / Estimator

i'm thinking of buying a laser rangefinder. thinking this one

http://www.boschtools.com/Products/M...px?pid=DLR165K

is a stabilla or a hilti better than a bosch. which is better, ultrasonic or laser. the other question i have is the term estimator. bosch dosen't call thiers a estimator but i'm wondering how acurate they are.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 06-11-2009, 05:41 PM   #2
Contractor of the Month

Trade: Control Systems
Rewards Points: 5,744

Re: Laser Rangefinder / Estimator

Never used it, but I have the PD40 and its awesome. To be honest I should have just gotten the PD4 since I don't need the extra options, distance or accuracy; although if I did I would have splurged for the PD42 with the scope.

The bosch is a very attractive price, hilti claims theirs is far more accurate at something like 1/25 +/- over 650 feet. I've found mine to be stupid accurate; I rarely use the onboard calculator so I can't comment on that feature.

Old 06-12-2009, 07:52 PM   #3
Pro

Trade: Finish Carpentry
Rewards Points: 150
Send a message via AIM to Quiglag

I have a review on the DLR165K here you can check out if you want.

Laser is more accurate and that is why it is not called an estimator, it is almost exact.

I use the DLR165K to measure walls for cutting baseboard and crown and it is more accurate than a tape measure is over long runs. The DLR165K is a good unit for the price, and well worth it. One thing bad about the DLR165K is it doesn't measure in running inches, only foot-inches. If you need inches only, check out the Bosch DLR130. It has a few less features then the 165, but it has running inches.
Old 06-12-2009, 08:49 PM   #4
solar guy

Trade: solar contracting
Rewards Points: 1,000

I have been looking at these also. Stopped into a homies the other day and saw a display for a Ryobi that claimed accuracy within 1/16 in 197 feet. they didn't have pricing or a unit to play with so I don't know any more about it. I have owned Ryobi tools in the past and haven't been dissapointed considering the price point. Waiting to see what this one is like maybe take it for a test spin on a crown moulding job see how it stacks up against at tape. If accuracy claims are true should be good for at least three walls of a square room. we'll see
Old 11-13-2009, 04:11 PM   #5

Trade: Surveying
Send a message via Skype™ to cadanywhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by wacko View Post
i'm thinking of buying a laser rangefinder. thinking this one

http://www.boschtools.com/Products/M...px?pid=DLR165K

is a stabilla or a hilti better than a bosch. which is better, ultrasonic or laser. the other question i have is the term estimator. bosch dosen't call thiers a estimator but i'm wondering how acurate they are.
Laser Measures v's Ultra Sonic Measures [/URL]no competition, lasers win every time.

We use and sell all types and styles of laser measures, but the best by far are Hilti. We use the Hilti PD38 with built in Bluetooth and it transmits the dimensions straight into our drawing programmes like Sitemaster Building, no writing dimensions down, therefore NO errors or mistakes when surveying.

Last edited by Tinstaafl; 04-28-2011 at 09:11 PM.
Old 11-13-2009, 11:04 PM   #6
Pro

Trade: Carpenter/Remodeler
Rewards Points: 510
Send a message via AIM to WilsonRMDL

I'm not sure of the model number but I have the Bosch laser distance finder I got at HD for like $99, works great for doing estimates. I've used it to measure long spans for ceiling grid and it has been dead nuts accurate. I can't see spending hundreds on something that is 1/16th more accurate over 650ft when I do residential work, but everyone has their different needs for a tool
Old 11-13-2009, 11:26 PM   #7

Trade: Low voltage (Long island NY)
Rewards Points: 10

I personally use the stabilla and i Absolutely love it. It is the most accurate one i have used. I use mine to layout floor plans for building and also construction work. Also fluke makes a laser also. never tried that one. But if you want a really good laser measuring tool get the leica. They have many different models to suite your needs.
Old 01-06-2010, 11:22 PM   #8
Pro

Trade: home builder carpenter Central Alabama
Rewards Points: 500

I am also thinking of buying the bosch 165 laser mearsuring device. Ive done alot of research lately on several different brands, but I have a few questions that have not been answered so i'll run it by you guys. What I will mainly use it for right now is to measure the exterior dimensions of existing homes to get a basic idea of the sqft.Does not have to be exact. What I would like to do is stand in front of a wall, point at each end and get the measurement. I know the $500 leica (youtube video) will do that but will the bosch? I also would like to measure the height of walls and gables from out in the yard. If I have to walk the walls setting and moving reflector plates then I just as well keep using my $30 measuring wheel! The Leica disto d2 may do what I want but they say its specially made for indoor use so it may not, and at $230 its just above my spending limit for a tool I dont really need anyway. The bosch 165 retails for $165-195 but amazon has it right now for $80 new. The newer 130 model is $110. It measures in inchs but has less other features. Another thing I would like to do with a laser measure is to measure elavation changes in landscapes, hillsides, or the hight of trees and such. Again leica has some videos on youtube showing their expensive models doing all that but to much money for me. The bosch 165 and the D2 claim to have indirect measuring. Is that what I need for what Im trying to do? on the walls anyway.
Old 01-06-2010, 11:31 PM   #9
President of the world

Trade: general contractor
Rewards Points: 2,000

hilti all the way!!
Old 01-07-2010, 09:13 AM   #10
Still have all my fingers

Trade: Cabinet Maker

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlcj View Post
I am also thinking of buying the bosch 165 laser mearsuring device. Ive done alot of research lately on several different brands, but I have a few questions that have not been answered so i'll run it by you guys. What I will mainly use it for right now is to measure the exterior dimensions of existing homes to get a basic idea of the sqft.Does not have to be exact. What I would like to do is stand in front of a wall, point at each end and get the measurement. I know the $500 leica (youtube video) will do that but will the bosch? I also would like to measure the height of walls and gables from out in the yard. If I have to walk the walls setting and moving reflector plates then I just as well keep using my $30 measuring wheel! The Leica disto d2 may do what I want but they say its specially made for indoor use so it may not, and at $230 its just above my spending limit for a tool I dont really need anyway. The bosch 165 retails for $165-195 but amazon has it right now for $80 new. The newer 130 model is $110. It measures in inchs but has less other features. Another thing I would like to do with a laser measure is to measure elavation changes in landscapes, hillsides, or the hight of trees and such. Again leica has some videos on youtube showing their expensive models doing all that but to much money for me. The bosch 165 and the D2 claim to have indirect measuring. Is that what I need for what Im trying to do? on the walls anyway.
I don't think the Bosch is what your after, it is more for interior use. You could measure gable heights with by bouncing it off of the soffit but that's about it. It needs a reflective surface to compute the distance, I think they all do.

The indirect feature on the Bosch is for measuring distances around an obstruction such as a column. It wouldn't work for elevation measuring.
http://maplegrovecabinets.com
Old 01-07-2010, 11:53 AM   #11
Pro

Trade: home builder carpenter Central Alabama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergstrom View Post
I don't think the Bosch is what your after, it is more for interior use. You could measure gable heights with by bouncing it off of the soffit but that's about it. It needs a reflective surface to compute the distance, I think they all do.

The indirect feature on the Bosch is for measuring distances around an obstruction such as a column. It wouldn't work for elevation measuring.
Kinda what I thought. I really like these two but at $500+ ,not affordable. Dont suppose anything cheaper than $200 can do what these do?

http://www.distagage.com/distoa8.htm...FQdiswodpU_IKQ
I may just get the $200 bosch for $80 cuz its a deal and just use it for what it does, still a time saver even if not really what I want (not need) one for. By the way. How exactly do you use the indirect feature on the bosch and disto d2?
Old 01-14-2010, 10:01 PM   #12

Trade: General Contractor

I have the Hilti and love it. I use a lot of the features too. The one I have (not sure the model, it's in the trailer) can do perimeter(sp?), volume, add and subtract lenghts and is super accurate as far as what I need it for. I don't use it for building cabinets so I think it is an awesome tool for estimates.
Old 04-28-2011, 02:00 PM   #13

Trade: Surveying
Send a message via Skype™ to cadanywhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlcj View Post
The Leica Disto D8 will do all you want it too, not as cheap as some of the others, but best for the job.

I actually prefer the Hilti PD38 and thats the one I use all the time, but unfortunately they have recently stopped manufacturing them now.

Last edited by Tinstaafl; 04-28-2011 at 09:08 PM.
Old 04-28-2011, 06:28 PM   #14
Pro

Trade: carpenter

My bosh is awesome I really like it. I would of never bought it but i bought a display that they were practically giving away. And Im really happy with it.
Old 04-28-2011, 07:13 PM   #15
Pro

Trade: Awesome carpentering
Rewards Points: 502

I use the bosch, unknown model, so far I really like it. MUCH nicer and faster to do measurements in customers homes than using a tape. I've been told it presents a more professional feel, and they appreciate the "un-intrusive-ness" that it allows.
They didn't notice anything else I've done to create my professional image, but the $100 bosch stood out to them.
Old 04-28-2011, 09:00 PM   #16
Finish Carpenter

Trade: Finish Carpentry, Reno
Rewards Points: 2,696

Yeah, people LOVE the laser tape measure during estimates. Everyone so far has said something. I can almost stand in one spot and get all the measurements I need.
Old 04-29-2011, 12:34 AM   #17

Trade: Electrical/Other
Rewards Points: 83

PLS Distro 1 here. Been thinking about replacing it with one of these newer smaller units out there. I'd either pick one of the new Disto units or one from Hilti. Used both and both are nice. The Hilti is so small and compact compared to my old unit. If you are trying to do measurements outside the secret is a tripod! I was amazed what it would measure when resting on something.
Old 04-29-2011, 07:01 AM   #18
Tool Blogger

Trade: Tool Blogger
Rewards Points: 10

The Bosch DLR165K is really going away and has been replaced by the DLR130K (Retails around $100) for most residential interior applications but they also came our with GLR225, GLR500 & GLR825 (around $400). The 500 & 825 foot range units have scopes on them for serious outdoor distance measuring. The Bosch line is very complete and it basically comes down to what you need for your work.
Old 04-30-2011, 11:41 AM   #19
Pro

Trade: General Contracting/CM
Rewards Points: 250

I've used the Leica Disto 210XT and it is a nice little unit. The Hilti had a nice feel to it and seemed rugged as hell but I wasn't impressed with the Bosch. Compared to the Leica and Hilti it had a cheap feel but since both of them are at least $100 more than the Bosch it was probably about even. If I had to buy one right now I would go with the Leica, plus every comparision I have read seems to list the Leica brand as best overall. My 2 cents.