Just Bought Sawstop Job Site Saw - Tools & Equipment - Contractor Talk

Just Bought Sawstop Job Site Saw

Old 04-02-2015, 09:12 AM   #1
New Guy

Trade: GC-remodeling
Rewards Points: 58

Just Bought Sawstop Job Site Saw

Not sure if this has been posted here, but I just got the sawstop job site, i.e. their bench top.

Initial impressions are great. I have a bigger sawstop in the shop, which has just been an excellent saw for me, so I've got high expectations on the quality. That said, I was using a 15 year old Dewalt 744, and I'd say it's moderately better, nothing earth shattering.

The stand is much better, basically a knockoff of the bosch to my mind. Stand and saw together weigh 100 pounds. I'm getting old, and my urge to lift awkward saws into the truck at the end of the day is going down, so I replaced the bolts to the stand with 5/16 bolts and spin on knobs - makes it easy to separate it at the end of the day.

I don't want to get into the usual sawstop arguments here, but for me its no brainer insurance, wouldn't have replaced the dewalt otherwise. I've met too many professionals without fingers. And most of the time I'm good, but sometimes I space out and do stupid sh*t. I don't want to count on being lucky.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Charlesaf3 For This Useful Post:
402joel (04-02-2015), Spencer (04-02-2015)

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 04-02-2015, 10:50 AM   #2
Pro

Trade: Home Improvement/handyman
Rewards Points: 6,486

Re: Just Bought Sawstop Job Site Saw

Collecting opinions: Why do you think the major brands had no interest in this invention?

Advertisement

Old 04-02-2015, 11:06 AM   #3
Pro

Trade: Construction
Rewards Points: 2,394

Should have bought the bosch. Overall it looks like a way better machine.

Old 04-02-2015, 11:21 AM   #4
Pro

Trade: Remodel/Deck
Rewards Points: 1,740

Quote:
Originally Posted by GettingBy View Post
Collecting opinions: Why do you think the major brands had no interest in this invention?

Because they would have to pay a royalty to Gass. They were also probably looking at a competitive market, and didn't think they could move enough units at the higher price to warrant the investment.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rustbucket For This Useful Post:
brhokel606 (04-03-2015), GettingBy (04-02-2015)
Old 04-02-2015, 11:49 AM   #5
Pro

I'm also thinking that the big saw makers don't want safety devices because it makes the buyers think that these things are dangerous. Same with auto makers.
And their products are dangerous.

I ran my hand through a saw where I had removed the guard to make certain cuts, my hand cost $50K to fix and it sort of works (I'm 3% crippled), so this device seems like a deal in hindsight.

BTW, I can do numbers and likelihoods as well as the next guy, so I have to wonder if I fell victim to this
"Discounted utility. . .or the valuing of future enjoyment less than present enjoyment."

Before my accident I enjoyed the use of my left hand, and my enjoyment of that hand in the future was not worth much to me, certainly not $5K.

Idk. I probably thought I was immortal, but the obits are telling me otherwise.

Last edited by GettingBy; 04-02-2015 at 11:58 AM.
Old 04-02-2015, 12:02 PM   #6
Pro

Trade: Carpentry
Rewards Points: 874

My thought was also potential liability if the device were to malfunction and a user was to still get hurt using a sawstop like technology.
Old 04-02-2015, 12:11 PM   #7
Pro

Trade: remodeling
Rewards Points: 1,094

From my limited knowledge of the Saw Stop once the crtridges go off it's like $80 to replace one and they can't cut any wood with a high moisture content.how would that be beneficial to a jobsite saw.Wondering what the MC would be.I know guys that have set them off trying to cut PT lumber so ther's i's $80.
I'm saying I have limited knowledge and need a few things explained to me about these saws?
Been using everything imaginable for 43 years and still have all my fingers and toes.
I can understand how it would be helpful for these younger guys these days and maybe insurance.Just train them or keep them away from the saw.
\
Could also be like a rubber,A false since of security?
Old 04-02-2015, 01:34 PM   #8
Lazy Millennial

Trade: Carpenter
Rewards Points: 290

We have one. My boss told me the brakes are free if you write the company a testimonial. There is a bypass if you need to run wet lumber. We once had a cabinet maker set it off when his hand slipped, the brake did it's job.
Old 04-02-2015, 02:02 PM   #9
Pro

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 1,968

Quote:
Originally Posted by mako1 View Post
From my limited knowledge of the Saw Stop once the crtridges go off it's like $80 to replace one and they can't cut any wood with a high moisture content.how would that be beneficial to a jobsite saw.Wondering what the MC would be.I know guys that have set them off trying to cut PT lumber so ther's i's $80.
I'm saying I have limited knowledge and need a few things explained to me about these saws?
Been using everything imaginable for 43 years and still have all my fingers and toes.
I can understand how it would be helpful for these younger guys these days and maybe insurance.Just train them or keep them away from the saw.
\
Could also be like a rubber,A false since of security?

Don't forget the cost of the blade to . The boschs new saw reaxx you save the blade .
Old 04-02-2015, 02:23 PM   #10
Pro

I was not trying to be sarcastic.I actually want to get informed about this new thing.
I have been doing this for 43 years ,owned a cabinet shop for 14 ,have had all kinds of machinery in these years and don't undertsnad the point of the Saw Stop.I have sthe videos.So I go to the table saw and get my finger in the blade which stops before I get a nick.That's great modern technology.
So then I go over to the shaper with a huge cutter spinning at 3500 rpm's and eats my whole hand up.
Would have not being taught shop safety and proper use of the tools been a better lesson?
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to mako1 For This Useful Post:
Dustincoc (06-09-2015), marcsmith (04-02-2015), pinwheel (04-03-2015), PrecisionFloors (04-11-2015), rjconstructs (04-03-2015)
Old 04-02-2015, 03:03 PM   #11
Livin the dream...

Trade: Remodeling/Finish Carpentry
Rewards Points: 5,512

Thanks for posting the review. I used a 5hp sawstop for about a year and a half. Great saw. Hope the portable saw works well for you.
Old 04-02-2015, 03:30 PM   #12
Pro

Trade: commercial and residential renovation
Rewards Points: 251

Saw Stop is awesome. I was clearing a drop and my thumb hit the blade. I got a knick on my thumb that wasn't deep enough to bleed. Great saw
Old 04-02-2015, 03:56 PM   #13
Geometrist

Trade: framing/remodeling
Rewards Points: 6,613

Quote:
I was not trying to be sarcastic.I actually want to get informed about this new thing.
I have been doing this for 43 years ,owned a cabinet shop for 14 ,have had all kinds of machinery in these years and don't undertsnad the point of the Saw Stop.I have sthe videos.So I go to the table saw and get my finger in the blade which stops before I get a nick.That's great modern technology.
So then I go over to the shaper with a huge cutter spinning at 3500 rpm's and eats my whole hand up.
Would have not being taught shop safety and proper use of the tools been a better lesson?
While I don't condone their business practices, I can certainly see the value in the saw. Many people drove cars prior to seat belts, air bags, anti lock brakes, etc, without suffering any serious injuries. That doesn't mean there is not a good reason to have these and other safety features. Anyone can suffer a table saw injury. Most of the best carpenters that I know have some story to tell about an encounter. No matter how safe your practices are, we are all susceptible to injury from a wide range of power tools.

Easy Gibson
The Following User Says Thank You to Warren For This Useful Post:
rrk (04-03-2015)
Old 04-02-2015, 03:58 PM   #14
Pro

This is all great to hear you did not incure any injuries greater than you did.Do you use a circular saw daily?A shaper maybe?A router maybe?What happens if you them in a bad manner and incure an injuiry?

Safety and education is the best answer ?It has worked for many years.A Saw Stop has works for a few one tool. I REST MY POINT?
Old 04-02-2015, 04:04 PM   #15
Geometrist

Trade: framing/remodeling
Rewards Points: 6,613

Quote:
This is all great to hear you did not incure any injuries greater than you did.Do you use a circular saw daily?A shaper maybe?A router maybe?What happens if you them in a bad manner and incure an injuiry?

Safety and education is the best answer ?It has worked for many years.A Saw Stop has works for a few one tool. I REST MY POINT?
And circular saws have guards, and sometimes a brake. A shaper has a guard, as do a lot of other tools. No tool is completely safe, but having new features that helps make them safer is always appreciated. Even the saw stop is not completely safe.

I agree that safety and education is the best answer, but why would you be resistant to new technologies that are proven to prevent injuries?

Easy Gibson
Old 04-02-2015, 04:26 PM   #16
Pro

I'm not going to reply to this other then to agree with Warren to a point.
Education and safety is the best point if you are npt using your own tools.
Old 04-02-2015, 08:40 PM   #17
Pro

I got curious.

"The number of finger or hand amputations in the US has more recently been estimated to be 4000 annually,[8] costing more than $2 billion a year to treat victims.[1][9]"

so 500K per. That sounds high but if it's right I got off cheap!

With 203,000 woodworkers in the US you've got a 2% chance per year of needing the Sawstop. After 35 years of woodcutting you have a 50-50 chance of collecting your body parts and then visiting the ER.
The Following User Says Thank You to GettingBy For This Useful Post:
EPAYNE (04-02-2015)
Old 04-02-2015, 10:40 PM   #18
Pro

Rewards Points: 1,783

I've only come close with a planer and a biscuit jointer of all things.
Old 04-02-2015, 11:30 PM   #19
GC/carpenter

Trade: Decking, Railing, Carpenter/General Contractor
Rewards Points: 10,580

In 30 years, I've cut myself on a tablesaw from underneath. I reached down to shuffle the sawdust in the catch box and my thumb hit the moving blade. It ripped my nail clean off and caused me to dirty my shorts, outside of that I didn't even need to go to the doctors. I've put a 16p nail through my arm and it protruded out the other side. I've cut myself twice on the wormdrive, barely kerfed some fingers. It's tough to get out of this business unscathed.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Californiadecks For This Useful Post:
brhokel606 (04-03-2015), hdavis (04-02-2015)
Old 04-02-2015, 11:52 PM   #20
Pro

Rewards Points: 1,783

Holding a small piece in place and shooting it with a finish nail, it's just a matter of time before one curls the wrong way. I've done that a few times.

TS saw safety is pretty basic and pretty reliable. I've had plenty of kickbacks, no injuries. I've thrown a big rip through a door, though.

Advertisement