Joist Hanger Gun

Old 02-11-2010, 06:46 PM   #1
Pro

Trade: carpenter

Joist Hanger Gun

Hi All, I need to purchase a gun for installing the nails for joist hangers.

Any recommended brands ? Thanks.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 02-11-2010, 06:54 PM   #2

Trade: residential contractor

Re: Joist Hanger Gun

just bought the bostich strap shot gun and it works great. i got the one that shoots the paper nails not the plastic coallated.

Old 02-11-2010, 07:00 PM   #3
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by figbuild View Post
just bought the bostich strap shot gun and it works great. i got the one that shoots the paper nails not the plastic coallated.
Thanks, I assume you have to buy the brand of nails to match the gun?

ie. Bostich nails for the bostich gun.
Old 02-11-2010, 07:22 PM   #4
Pro

Trade: Remodeling

I bought the Hitachi positive placement gun a few months back and just like the rest of their pneumatics it is indestructible. Very solid gun
Old 02-11-2010, 07:34 PM   #5
The Duke

Trade: Cabinet Maker

I finally broke down and got the strap shot. I hated doing it, but to make it idiot proof for the guy using it....

The strap shot shoots up to 1-1/2" nails. I've seen two different diameters (of course) for around $225. I can pick the nails up at Lowes or HD. I don't know about the Hitachi nails though.

The Hitachi (unless there's more than one model) shoots up to 2-1/2" nails and is more expensive at around $400. I so wanted to get that one instead, but couldn't justify the big price difference.

The strap shot works good. It took us a little while to figure out WTH was going on, it wasn't shooting. But you have to give it a little shove at the same time you are pulling the trigger. You'll get down to 3 or 4 nails and then you have to reload because the nose closes in on the nail points and you can't see. I'm sure that's by design.

SalmonFallsCabinetry.com

Salmon Falls Cabinetry on Facebook
Old 02-11-2010, 07:50 PM   #6
Pro

Thanks for the input guys. I checked out the Hitachi online. They shoot 1 1/2 to 2 1/2". They have two models, one has a shorter magazine.

I have emailed them to see if I can purchase one gun with two magazines.

I'll let you know, but looks nice. Hey, it's only money.
Old 02-11-2010, 07:52 PM   #7
KemoSabe

Trade: residential framing/siding/general carpentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by framerman View Post
I finally broke down and got the strap shot. I hated doing it, but to make it idiot proof for the guy using it....

The strap shot shoots up to 1-1/2" nails. I've seen two different diameters (of course) for around $225. I can pick the nails up at Lowes or HD. I don't know about the Hitachi nails though.

The Hitachi (unless there's more than one model) shoots up to 2-1/2" nails and is more expensive at around $400. I so wanted to get that one instead, but couldn't justify the big price difference.

The strap shot works good. It took us a little while to figure out WTH was going on, it wasn't shooting. But you have to give it a little shove at the same time you are pulling the trigger. You'll get down to 3 or 4 nails and then you have to reload because the nose closes in on the nail points and you can't see. I'm sure that's by design.
I bought the Strapshot you're referring to last summer. HD had their display unit marked down to $109. Didn't really need it at the time, but I have a hard time passing up 1/2 price on something I know I will use eventually.

"Walking the fine line between production and perfection"

Old 02-11-2010, 07:55 PM   #8
Pro Framer Dude

Trade: framing/remodeling

I have the paslode. It works decent, we have had it for 5 years probably. the nails are overpriced though. Usually it only comes out if there are a bunch to do. I like to break the new guys in with hammer first, followed by palm nailer, and then the gun. They all have their advantages and disadvantages.

WNC Viking
Old 02-11-2010, 07:58 PM   #9
KemoSabe

Trade: residential framing/siding/general carpentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren View Post
I have the paslode. It works decent, we have had it for 5 years probably. the nails are overpriced though. Usually it only comes out if there are a bunch to do. I like to break the new guys in with hammer first, followed by palm nailer, and then the gun. They all have their advantages and disadvantages.
Yup, hand nailing is a requirement for the new guy. Then when you hand him the palm nailer, you tell him "When you mistreat the tool and it croaks, you get to go back to hand nailing."

"Walking the fine line between production and perfection"

Old 02-11-2010, 08:02 PM   #10
Allrounder Home Services

Trade: Residential Remodeling

I've got this baby here:
http://www.nailgundepot.com/shop/cat...2-p-27006.html

I went to the shop with the intention of buying the Hitachi, and the guy insisted that I try this gun. I thought it was a joke--it seems like such a toy, but it works great, is super lightweight, and less than 1/2 the price.
Old 02-11-2010, 08:04 PM   #11
Allrounder Home Services

Trade: Residential Remodeling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren View Post
I tried a friends Paslode a while back--really nice gun, but it weighs a ton and I'm a scrawny weakling!
Old 02-11-2010, 08:35 PM   #12

Trade: Carpenter

Hitachi posi placement guns are great the short magazine one is nice for tight places. Watch out if you miss the hole though. I have used the one Eric mentioned also it is okay basically a palm nailer with a magazine. I have a Bostich gun that the nose changes to allow you to shoot hanger nails but I usually hand drive. The nails are cheaper that way.
The Following User Says Thank You to jdeck For This Useful Post:
katoman (02-11-2010)
Old 02-11-2010, 08:46 PM   #13
Custom Builder

Trade: General Contractor

Go Hitachi. I had a paslode its broke in my shop, it went through alot of tips. No problems with the hitachi at all. I have used the palm nailer with the mag to it was alright if your not doing alot of hardware. I also own two of the bostich switchable tip guns they work fairly well not as good as hitachi and ive had the tips break on them to would not pay money for them just got them free with a pallet of nails. The hitachi accually uses the nail as a guide istead of a tip. Im pretty sure i paid for the hitachi again today 79 ft of cs 16 strap installed in less than 15 min. Weve put over 500 ft of cs strapping on this building and have less than an hour and a half in it.
The Following User Says Thank You to Chris@Sunrise For This Useful Post:
katoman (02-11-2010)
Old 02-11-2010, 09:11 PM   #14
Pro

Trade: Carpenter/GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by framerman View Post

The strap shot shoots up to 1-1/2" nails. I've seen two different diameters (of course) for around $225.

Bostitch MCN250 2-1/2 inch Strapshot Metal Connector Nailer for $230 amazon

Shoots 1-1/2 and 2-1/2
Three gauges of nails .131, .148 .161 (2-1/2 only)
Galv and bright,

Same learning curve, Saves tons of time though. The nail point is the placement no retractable tip. Down side over 1-1/2" gun is it is a little bigger can get crowded in tight spaces
Old 02-11-2010, 09:14 PM   #15
topsail's trimcat

Trade: finish Carpenter/ renovations
Wink

hey framerman, we have the same gun and we have the same issue with the nails advancing, on really cold days it freezes up and wont advance even when full
Old 02-12-2010, 02:32 AM   #16
Pro

Trade: General Contractor

I really like my paslode, I haven't had it long enough to comment on longevity.
Old 02-12-2010, 05:04 AM   #17
Carpenter/Finisher

blew out a bostich in 2 jobs

bought a used hitachi, been using it for 3 years straight now no probs.

It shoots any brand of the paper collate tiko nails

Last edited by john5mt; 02-12-2010 at 05:06 AM.
Old 01-18-2011, 08:31 PM   #18
Pro

Trade: General & Electrical Contracting

I realize this is an old thread but I did a search and discovered this one that sorta deals with my question.

For those that have the Bostitch gun that only shoots 1-1/2" nails, what do you do for the double shear nails on LU and LUS hangers? Hand nail or palm grip?
Old 01-18-2011, 10:22 PM   #19
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by txgencon View Post
I realize this is an old thread but I did a search and discovered this one that sorta deals with my question.

For those that have the Bostitch gun that only shoots 1-1/2" nails, what do you do for the double shear nails on LU and LUS hangers? Hand nail or palm grip?

Simpson won't even allow the 2.5" pp nails for double shear. Only full length 16d commons, I think its length issue. I usually just end up hand nailing the double shear holes and hit the rest with the pp gun.
Old 01-18-2011, 11:52 PM   #20
Pro

I have the Hitachi positive placement nailer and the thing works like a charm. I have the short magazine, great for tight places but I sorta wish I got the one with the longer mag- you have reload the short one a fair bit