Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

How to access drop ceiling and fixtures 30' above ground

2K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  Leo G 
#1 ·
I am the only maintenance worker at a 50k sf building (movie theater) that sees medium/heavy traffic during the week and our auditoriums are anywhere from 25' - 30' above the ground. I need to access our drop ceiling and the fixtures but no ladder we have goes up that high - I have a little-giant ladder that goes 21' but it still doesn't get close, not to mention it's dangerous.

Each theater has 4 fluorescent light fixtures that house two bulbs each and they are full of crickets, and I need to do work on the ceiling tiles and the soundproofing/drapery on the sides.

A lot of work to be done and I can't get up there. I've seen some scaffolding systems that may work, but this is on a flat slope (i believe 6) on the bottom and staggered concrete steps on the middle. Again, the seats are everywhere and obstruct in a way that even if the little giant ladder reached these places, it would be more work moving it and setting it securely.

I was thinking of getting a scissor lift but there are theater seats everywhere, so the aisles and the front are the only flat and accessible places for a scissor life.

I was also thinking of getting scaffolding but that would take an inordinate amount of time assembling for as much work as I have to do on the ceilings. So a maneuverable fixture/vehicle is necessary.

I would really like to find a solution to this.
Thanks

See less See more
#7 ·
I think this is what we will go with. I took a look at their site and it would be a great alternative to traditional scaffolding as it's base is wider and adjustable for uneven surfaces as all of this will be taking place in auditoriums

#8 ·
Get a motorized system to drop the lights down to you. Like they have for large chandeliers. Or put in LEDs like onmywayup said.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.