HEPA Vacuum Thread

Old 01-24-2010, 07:16 PM   #1
Pro

Trade: Construction
Rewards Points: 2,394

HEPA Vacuum Thread

Ok so after a few failed attempts at making my Ridgid a good HEPA vac i thought i would get my self a new one and i thought it would be a great time to start a thread for the HEPA branded Vac's seeings we have the RRP rule coming up very soon. Thanks to jordanski for the recommendation of this vacuum.

Dustless Technologies HEPA
Power 6HP
Current draw 11.5AMP
160CFM pre filter/ 116CFM 3 stage filter
Capacity 16 Gallon
SPL 81 db
OSHA, EPA and NIOSH compliant

$450

First things first. It's very well built. The plastic seems strong but with some flex so that if it does get dropped bits wont be cracking of left right and center. The hose is good quality and the 2 supplied attachments are about as basic as they get but the floor brush does have rollers so that it glides nice and easy along most surfaces. It comes with 2 extension pipes and a free pre filter bag in the box to get you started.

The filter bags are pretty impressive and so far i have vacuumed up a lot of drywall dust and no dust at all has even passed through the bag so the main and secondary filters should last a long long time which is great. The suction is very impressive for the amount of filtration and by now my HEPA Ridgid would have lost about 80% of it's suction but the Dustless Tech HEPA just keeps sucking with no decrease in suction power. On board tool storage is simple but very effective and can be stored away in seconds. Its also very easy to maneuver around the work site and it's wide stance makes it super stable. You can also suck up wet or dry without removeing or changeing the filter bag. Which is a great option for a plumbers vac.

Dustless Technologies also make many attachments for carpet, sanding drywall, Grinding, cutting and so on.

Motor unit can be removed.

Inside of the canister even after a hard day of sucking up drywall and saw dust. Like i said I'm very impressed with how well the filter bags are protecting the Expensive HEPA filter.

Picture Below shows the ball that stops suction when water level reaches it's max limit.

Hose can also be used as a drain pipe when it's needed.

The filter you see below is the secondary filter that protects the HEPA filter and as you can see the filter and the inside of the vac is spotless even after cleaning up the job site at the end of the day. I would have already cleaned my Ridgid HEPA filter 2 times already.

Last edited by BCConstruction; 01-26-2010 at 06:13 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to BCConstruction For This Useful Post:
JerryHarman (03-04-2010)

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 01-24-2010, 08:14 PM   #2
I like Green things

Trade: Architectural Mill Work
Rewards Points: 3,690

Re: HEPA Vacuum Thread

aaa

Advertisement

Last edited by WarnerConstInc.; 01-26-2010 at 10:19 PM.
Old 01-24-2010, 08:27 PM   #3
Pro

Thats the problem with this dam RRP Rule. I could have bought the Model without the HEPA filter for far less money then just added the filter but you cant do that. The only way you can do it is to buy the model that was tested by the EPA to be compliant in the rule. Which they can then jack up in price.
They do make a Auto start version but it's something that i would never use the only time i do is when i use my table saw but that has it's own vac and auto start module. It does have filter cleaning but as of yet i have not had to use it as zero dust is getting thought the filter bag. I don't know when i would need adjustable power as i want full power always. Seems a silly thing to have on vac.
The filters are around $150 and believe it or not this is the cheapest good quality EPA certified vac on the market from what i have found. Gets great reviews and is job site tuff.

Last edited by BCConstruction; 01-24-2010 at 08:38 PM.

Old 01-24-2010, 08:38 PM   #4
I like Green things

aaa

Last edited by WarnerConstInc.; 01-26-2010 at 10:20 PM.
Old 01-24-2010, 08:47 PM   #5
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarnerConstInc. View Post
It is just certified hepa, the only thing that means is filtration down to .3 microns.

That is a stupid price for hepa filters, I get 2 for 60 bucks.
Yeah i had HEPA filter on the Ridgid that are about $20 a piece on line. But they aint EPA or OSHA approved and once the filter was full of dust they lost suction. Even when blowing them out they were no where near as good as new. Thats the great thing about the 3 stage filtration of the above Vac. Only the very small particals get through to the HEPA Filters so you get maximum performance for longer. Them HEPA vac filter ridgid made are pretty much as good as useless. Dust would spitt out pretty much each time i turn on the vac and when the sun hit the exhaust port i could see very fine particals still exiting the vac.

If you have a better EPA approved vac you could recommend Warner then please add to the thread. Thats the reason i started the thread. All reviews welcome. There's no way i was buying a $2k vacuum but perhaps some of you guys may.

Last edited by BCConstruction; 01-24-2010 at 08:50 PM.
Old 01-24-2010, 08:50 PM   #6
I like Green things

Last edited by WarnerConstInc.; 01-26-2010 at 10:21 PM.
Old 01-24-2010, 08:55 PM   #7
Pro

Quote:
I forgot to mention, I pay 60 bucks for 2 festool hepa filters. They are rated higher than most out there.

150 bucks for hepa filter, some one is getting screwed.

I still think vacs like the dustless is BS, that is nothing more than a craftsman shop vac with a filter bag, hepa filter and a condom for the hepa. Oh and maybe a seal for the top parts. Which looks very janky from their photo's and yours.

That it may well be. But it does what it says on the box. It's very powerful, It's tough, It keeps suction even when 16lbs of dust has been sucked up, It's Certified, It can suck water and dust at the same time without the need to remove bags and filters.

Last edited by BCConstruction; 01-24-2010 at 08:59 PM.
Old 01-24-2010, 08:57 PM   #8
I like Green things

Old 01-24-2010, 09:04 PM   #9
Pro

Quote:
There is no way you can do water and dust with a pre-filter bag.

You sure can. Check out the videos on line. The bags are pretty expensive but pretty impressive.

http://www.dustlesstechnologies.com/...cOverview.html
Old 01-24-2010, 09:08 PM   #10
Sean

Trade: Principal / Owner
Rewards Points: 96

The EPA is not testing vacs according to the regs - the vacs just have to meet these standards

.83 Definitions
Quote:
HEPA vacuum means a vacuum cleaner which has been designed with a high-efficiency particulate air (HEPA) filter as the last filtration stage. A HEPA filter is a filter that is capable of capturing particles of 0.3 microns with 99.97% efficiency. The vacuum cleaner must be designed so that all the air drawn into the machine is expelled through the HEPA filter with none of the air leaking past it.
.85 Work Place Standards
Quote:
(ii) The use of machines that remove lead-based paint through high speed operation such as sanding, grinding, power planing, needle gun, abrasive blasting, or sandblasting, is prohibited unless such machines are used with HEPA exhaust control.
Old 01-24-2010, 09:14 PM   #11
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLSTech View Post
The EPA is not testing vacs according to the regs - the vacs just have to meet these standards

.83 Definitions

.85 Work Place Standards
Well if it was as simple as that it would be nice. Putting a hepa filter onto any vac dont make it perfect. I have already found that out with 2 Hepa filters that convert your normal vac into a HEPA vac. They just dont work. But again if you guys can recommend a vac that is certifield by the OSHA and EPA then please post. I spent 3 days searching and couldnt find any around this price.

One reason i know this is because i use to sell Miele

EPA defines a HEPA vacuum at 40 CFR 745.83.
"HEPA vacuum means a vacuum cleaner which has been designed with a high-efficiency particulate air (HEPA) filter as the last filtration stage. A HEPA filter is a filter that is capable of capturing particles of 0.3 microns with 99.97% efficiency. The vacuum cleaner must be designed so that all the air drawn into the machine is expelled through the HEPA filter with none of the air leaking past it."
The requirement that all air drawn into the machine is goes through the air filter with no leakage is a tough standard. It gets at the heart of a problem with many vacuums labeled as "HEPA." Putting a HEPA filter in a vacuum does little good if the air bypasses the filter. Over the years, studies indicate that most vacuums would not meet this standard.
Unfortunately, there no approved method to test HEPA vacuums to determine whether they meet EPA's definition. Without an approved method, a Certified Renovator has no way of knowing whether the vacuum they are using meets the definition or not.

This is why i went with a vac that was compliant by OSHA, EPA and NIOSH.

If we are all just going to stick cheap HEPA filters onto any old Vacuum then there's really no point in bothering with the HEPA filter as they dont work. The Vacuum as to be designed around the HEPA filter for it to work correctly.

Also found this.

IMPORTANT: This replacement HEPA filter can be used one of two ways. If you use it as a replacement on a Dustless HEPA Vacuum that was factory certified, your vacuum will retain its certification which is important when doing work under OSHS and NIOSH guidelines. Without certification, an inspector can shut your operation down.

If, however, you are using this filter to convert a standard Dustless Wet Dry Vacuum to a HEPA unit, it will not be certified. It WILL provide far superior filtration down to .3 microns, but it won't pass inspection on the job site.

Last edited by BCConstruction; 01-24-2010 at 09:28 PM.
Old 01-24-2010, 09:22 PM   #12
I like Green things

Last edited by WarnerConstInc.; 01-26-2010 at 10:20 PM.
Old 01-24-2010, 09:24 PM   #13
Pro

Quote:
I had to stop watching when that guy stopped and opened up the bag to dump it. You go through all the effort to collect the dust but, have to dump the bag out, that is defeating the point.

They done that to show you what it sucked up. You can just leave the bags full and close the sealing lid and then through in the dumpster. You could reuse the bags if you wanted to but it depends if you can be bothered to.
Old 01-24-2010, 09:27 PM   #14
I like Green things

Old 01-24-2010, 09:29 PM   #15
Pro

Quote:
You just said the bags were expensive, I am now confused.

They are $10 a piece. If you go trhough 5 of them a day you will prob want to re use them but depends how much you want to spend on them.
Old 01-24-2010, 09:29 PM   #16
Pro

Trade: Carpenter/GC
Rewards Points: 550

I got the green CT22 for doing my clean clean-up. Auto start and speed control is nice to control noise level when you want. Long hose so you don't pull the machine with every step you take. Putting a whole package together can get $$, but I like it. Going to keep it as a dry vac only, won't be tossing the craftsman/shopvac away.
Old 01-24-2010, 09:41 PM   #17
Pro

Trade: Tile and Tool junkie
Rewards Points: 1,168

There are several good hepa vac's on the market the one I really love is the Nilfisk Attix 8

Is a great one and for around $500 and you can upgrade it to auto elect and pneumatic start self cleaning filters and up to 19 gal. http://www.industrialvacs.com/Attix_...m_p/900130.htm

at the other end is the
DeWalt DC500 which also meets the OSHA regs

you can get this for $99 and filters are $25 http://www.dewalt.com/us/products/to...productID=6220

I have been using this one on the last few window Abatement's for cleaning as you work and it is perfect for that application.

Craig
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to charimon For This Useful Post:
BCConstruction (01-24-2010), Winchester (01-24-2010)
Old 01-24-2010, 09:59 PM   #18
Contractor of the Month

Trade: Control Systems
Rewards Points: 12,444

Does the air that circulates through the motor cooler also have to pass through a HEPA filter to meet the certification?

BC what does that vac sell for anywho? Looks like a chincy vac with a kick-ass filter bag and a nice hose...but its hard to tell from the photos.
Old 01-24-2010, 10:10 PM   #19
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inner10 View Post
Does the air that circulates through the motor cooler also have to pass through a HEPA filter to meet the certification?

BC what does that vac sell for anywho? Looks like a chincy vac with a kick-ass filter bag and a nice hose...but its hard to tell from the photos.
The OSHA certified model goes for about $450 and the non OSHA certified model goes for about $408 and both would have the HEPA filtration. All comes down to if you want the OSHA approved model. The extra cash is worth it in my eyes. You dont have to worry then. The filter bag is the best filter bag i have ever seen and i use to sell vacuum cleaners. They ain't cheap but they sure do work well.

Last edited by BCConstruction; 01-24-2010 at 10:13 PM.
Old 01-24-2010, 10:30 PM   #20
Contractor of the Month

Trade: Control Systems
Rewards Points: 12,444

Yikes, I guess for a hepa vac that ain't too shabby.

From the pics it just doesn't have that 450 dollar "look" to it. I think it was the fact that the basket/ball water level cutoff is identical to the one on my $25 Home Depot "Bucket Head" vac that killed me.

The video where they suck up the water and concrete dust is very very cool!

The agitator rod is a little silly, they should have an electronic vibrator for that.

Quote:
had to stop watching when that guy stopped and opened up the bag to dump it. You go through all the effort to collect the dust but, have to dump the bag out, that is defeating the point.
Dude in the video he slices the entire thing open down the side with a box cutter to display the stuff is sucked up; I don't think you normally do that then tape it all back up.

Quote:
No auto start tool outlet
The Tool-Sync wirelessly switched power cord looks freaking cool though!

From the website it looks pretty great, but the video was a little intense...I thought at the end they were going to throw in a set of free Titanium 2 Knives.

Advertisement