Green Line Lasers - DEWALT DW089LG Vs PLS 180

Old 12-18-2016, 09:27 AM   #1
Livin the dream...

Trade: Remodeling/Finish Carpentry
Rewards Points: 5,394

Green Line Lasers - DEWALT DW089LG Vs PLS 180

I'm looking into green line lasers for interior carpentry work. I have had a PLS 180 RED LINE that has worked great for me. I'd like to upgrade to a green line for visibility.

I'd also like it to integrate well with a wall mount bracket that has a range of adjustability. For things like like coffered ceilings, and set and go for two piece crown molding, wainscoting, etc.

Any advice? Opinions?

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 12-18-2016, 09:30 AM   #2
Livin the dream...

Re: Green Line Lasers - DEWALT DW089LG Vs PLS 180

I've used this bracket in the past. I'm not sure if the dewalt will mount to it due to size???]

Advertisement

Old 12-18-2016, 09:39 AM   #3
LRG WoodCrafting

Trade: Self Employed Moron
Rewards Points: 568

http://www.plslaser.com/products/pls-180-green-beam

PLS 180 Green Beam

Quote:
Originally Posted by HusqyPro View Post
Carpenter by day.
Mad scientist by night.
http://lrgwood.com
Custom Cabinets in Hartford County Connecticut

Old 12-18-2016, 11:13 AM   #4
Pro

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 1,418

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spencer View Post
I've used this bracket in the past. I'm not sure if the dewalt will mount to it due to size???]

What bracket is that? And what does it not do that makes you want something else?
Old 12-18-2016, 03:52 PM   #5
Livin the dream...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lettusbee View Post
What bracket is that? And what does it not do that makes you want something else?
It works great. I think I had to add an adapter to make the smaller laser work but I've been nothing but pleased with it.

Problem is that in transit it fell off the shelf in my van. There is a rack and pinion that allows the adjustment to happen. One or more of the teeth on the rack and pinion got messed up and it doesn't adjust well anymore.

I will probably buy another one.

JOHNSON AccuLine Pro 40-6304 Multi-Function Mount for Laser Levels with Softsided Carrying Bag

https://www.amazon.com/AccuLine-40-6...RS3K197A8BJHZS
Lettusbee (12-19-2016)
Old 12-18-2016, 06:53 PM   #6

Trade: Remodeling
Rewards Points: 224

Amazon has a really good deal on the DW right now. $437 minus $25 off for the the DW promo. I paid full pop last year at $569.

Luckily, I received a really accurate one. I say that because of the way it was shipped. It was packed in a huge outer carton, but the shipper just put it at the bottom of the box and used filler for the remainder of the space. It was bounced hard during shipping for certain. It survived so I suppose that's a testament to the ruggedness of it's mechanism.

I got this as a single box solution to replace all of my other line lasers. It certainly can accomplish that. However, in situations where I only need lines projected directly in front of me, there's a downside. Because of the full time 360 degree projection, everyone in the room needs to be mindful to dodge those unused lines. They blare in all directions. I kept a regular cross line laser around for straight ahead stuff when one particular, soft, whiny, un-named, fit pitching wuss is on the job.

Otherwise, it does everything you'd imagine it could, as any other 3 plane laser would be, for interior work. I recently used it for setting columns outside. It was OK, but just OK.

I use mine on the original single piece fast cap laser jamb. It's a close fit on it's platform, which was intended for a smaller laser. The laser's built in swivel base is twitchy and is of limited utility without a fine adjustment.

I haven't ever used up the battery in a day of use.

Anyway, it's a great addition to the tool pile. My poor Stabilas are now just basically doing straight edge duty,
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rocspec For This Useful Post:
sparehair (12-28-2016), Spencer (12-19-2016)
Old 12-19-2016, 07:35 AM   #7
Livin the dream...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocspec View Post
Amazon has a really good deal on the DW right now. $437 minus $25 off for the the DW promo. I paid full pop last year at $569.

Luckily, I received a really accurate one. I say that because of the way it was shipped. It was packed in a huge outer carton, but the shipper just put it at the bottom of the box and used filler for the remainder of the space. It was bounced hard during shipping for certain. It survived so I suppose that's a testament to the ruggedness of it's mechanism.

I got this as a single box solution to replace all of my other line lasers. It certainly can accomplish that. However, in situations where I only need lines projected directly in front of me, there's a downside. Because of the full time 360 degree projection, everyone in the room needs to be mindful to dodge those unused lines. They blare in all directions. I kept a regular cross line laser around for straight ahead stuff when one particular, soft, whiny, un-named, fit pitching wuss is on the job.

Otherwise, it does everything you'd imagine it could, as any other 3 plane laser would be, for interior work. I recently used it for setting columns outside. It was OK, but just OK.

I use mine on the original single piece fast cap laser jamb. It's a close fit on it's platform, which was intended for a smaller laser. The laser's built in swivel base is twitchy and is of limited utility without a fine adjustment.

I haven't ever used up the battery in a day of use.

Anyway, it's a great addition to the tool pile. My poor Stabilas are now just basically doing straight edge duty,
Thanks for the review and heads up on price. Just bought it off amazon for $412 before tax.
Old 12-19-2016, 07:51 AM   #8
Pro

Trade: GC/ Interior & Exterior Remodeling
Rewards Points: 10,434

I use the little bracket the PLS comes with to stick to my Task pole. Since its magnetic I slide it up and down to where I want to be.
Old 12-19-2016, 11:12 PM   #9

I wonder if this "demonstration" was approved by the home office?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rocspec For This Useful Post:
Spencer (12-20-2016), Tom Struble (12-20-2016)
Old 12-20-2016, 06:13 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 8

I just reordered it from Amazon for that price. I got one a week ago from HD on sale, but not that cheap. Really happy with the first few hours if use. The green is very bright, I didn't get into daylight, but in a decently bright garage it was fine to see 35' away. I'm looking forward to running it some more. I still need to mount it to the fast cap magnet bracket, so I can slide it on a third hand pole, which is a huge time saver for multiple setups.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DASEINC For This Useful Post:
Tom M (12-20-2016), Tom Struble (12-20-2016)
Old 12-26-2016, 05:26 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spencer View Post
Thanks for the review and heads up on price. Just bought it off amazon for $412 before tax.
How'd it work out? Did it pass calibration tests?
Old 12-26-2016, 05:42 PM   #12
Livin the dream...

Quote:
How'd it work out? Did it pass calibration tests?

I haven't checked it for level yet but I love the green laser. The unit seems very robust.
Old 12-27-2016, 11:07 PM   #13
GC/carpenter

Trade: Decking, Railing, Carpenter/General Contractor
Rewards Points: 1,214

If it's anything like the green laser for my pistol, the battery drains fast.

_________
Old 12-28-2016, 03:46 AM   #14
Pro

Trade: finish carpenter
Rewards Points: 15,632

Quote:
I wonder if this "demonstration" was approved by the home office?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=szbjfqHYJZY
I waiting for them to drop that large drill off the roof of the building and onto to van...
Old 01-10-2017, 08:46 AM   #15

I was just on a showroom re-do project. I was gridding out several shower displays. Cabinet guys were hanging boxes opposite of me. Green beams everywhere! They have the same laser. The cab run is about 45 ft. At one point I aligned my horizontal line to theirs. I found a heavy 3/16s discrepancy. Maybe a shade over .200. Panicked 'cause I was just about finished with my lines, I grabbed my other laser to compare. Mine was still dead nuts on. Theirs was out. He said it hadn't ever been dropped as far as he knew. No dings on it that I could see. Also, he never really checked cal. Just figured it was good cause it seemed to check out against a six foot level.

CPO states on the ad page for this model that 2 free re-calibrations during the first year are part of the warranty, which I assume means that they can be adjusted. It could be that they're simply replaced. I don't know for sure.

Anyway, if you snatched one of these on sale, it's probably a good idea to run a real cal test within the 30 days from the purchase date just because returns/exchanges are so easy with amazon in that time frame. Dewalt does offer a 90 day no questions asked return policy, 1 year free service, and 3 year limited warranty. So you're not totally screwed if you get past 30 days and find a problem.
Old 01-10-2017, 08:51 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Californiadecks View Post
If it's anything like the green laser for my pistol, the battery drains fast.

_________
I get good working time with the included 2ah battery. Haven't run one down during a normal days work. That batt recharges quickly, so no biggee.
Old 01-10-2017, 09:25 AM   #17
Pro

Trade: Handyman Services
Rewards Points: 9,961

"Strong & Reliable". That got the point across.

Advertisement