Framing Nailer?

Old 11-04-2010, 10:13 PM   #1
MarkWoodCarpentry

Trade: Carpenter
Rewards Points: 75

Framing Nailer?

If you had to buy a new Framing nail gun what would it be?

I have a freind that has a Passlode cordless framer that he is willing to sell me for $300.00 he has only framed one house with it. This sounds like a good deal (there $399.00 at home depot) I have heard some negative things about these guns but I have never personaly used one I'm thinking about buying it but I don't want to if I'm gonna have a lot of problems with it. I'm fine with buying another one that runs off the compressor to replace my old one If need be just thought this might be a good deal?

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Mark-W...233?ref=stream

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 11-04-2010, 10:24 PM   #2
David Festa

Trade: Framing Contractor
Rewards Points: 1,008

Re: Framing Nailer?

I own 4 cordless framing nailers and never had a problem I couldnít fix, canít say that for passlode trim guns.
Sad thing is really don't use them much. I bought them for fire board ups and small jobs.

Cordless guns are not efficient for every day framing. Why not go with an air compressor and pneumatic nailer?

Old 11-04-2010, 10:27 PM   #3
SEMI RETIRED

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 3,566

Festerized has a good response.

I have 2 framers & 1 finish. They are convenient & have their place. They do not however replace a pneumatic nailer.
Old 11-04-2010, 10:28 PM   #4
MarkWoodCarpentry

Trade: Carpenter
Rewards Points: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by festerized View Post
I own 4 cordless framing nailers and never had a problem I couldnít fix, canít say that for passlode trim guns.
Sad thing is really don't use them much. I bought them for fire board ups and small jobs.

Cordless guns are not efficient for every day framing. Why not go with an air compressor and pneumatic nailer?
I have no problem with the compressor and pneumatic nailer thats what I have always used just wanted some opinions on the cordles variety....... I already have plenty of compressors but My old Framing nailer is ..... in need of replacment.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Mark-W...233?ref=stream
Old 11-04-2010, 10:31 PM   #5
David Festa

Trade: Framing Contractor
Rewards Points: 1,008

Mine works fine, just order some tune up parts. Also get extra gas receivers, I forgot if itís the yellows or red ones, anyway they are made of plastic and the constant movement wears them out and causes the gas to escape
Old 11-05-2010, 08:06 AM   #6
topsail's trimcat

Trade: finish Carpenter/ renovations
Rewards Points: 2,146

ive used 4 of the cordless paslodes, 1 was of them was ok it was bought for small tasks and quick jobs where dragging a compressor was more of a hastle. it wouild misfire from time to time but nothing too big a deal.

the other two were on with my old framing crew, these things were beat to death, roughly 3 misfires for every good shot and 1/4 of those wouldnt shoot straight or sink. an elder was brought on to help us with some of the more difficult framing tasks and he had his own, i worked with him mostly while finishing my apprenticeship. his gun worked great it wasnt over used and he would send it in for cleaning and a tuneup twice a year so that any issues would be dealt with before they really become problematic

as for air. cant go wrong, just a matter of trying out a few different models to see what you like. i personally own a rigid, its all could afford at the time. the big box stores have the new air paslode but none of them had any in stock at the time and the paslode store wanted too much $$$ in comparison. my other choice would have been the older style hitachi but $650 definitely out of my price range
Old 11-05-2010, 08:35 AM   #7
Steve

Trade: Residential Renovations
Rewards Points: 500

If you can afford it, get both, pneumatic and cordless. Production work = pneumatic. Climbing through trusses/awkward areas and small jobs = cordless. If you're like me, you'll find mission creep with the cordless. When compared to loading compressor, hoses, cord + gun, throwing 1 orange briefcase in the truck is effortless.
Old 11-05-2010, 10:38 AM   #8
Pro

Trade: Repair/Remodel
Rewards Points: 2,604
Send a message via MSN to KennMacMoragh

The Hitachi air Framing gun can shoot eight nails a second. The Passload cordless, about one nail every two seconds? It is not the gun for the serious framer. They do have their place though in doing pick-up carpentry, or doing small jobs here and there.
Old 11-05-2010, 10:44 AM   #9
Capra aegagrus

Trade: Remodeler
Rewards Points: 3,510

Quote:
Originally Posted by KennMacMoragh View Post
The Hitachi air Framing gun can shoot eight nails a second. The Passload cordless, about one nail every two seconds?
If you can accurately place 8 nails a second, you're one heckuva lot better coordinated than me.

I shoot about 1 per second with my Paslode, and I have to say I love OCRS' turn of a phrase about "mission creep." Truer words were never spoken.
The Following User Says Thank You to Tinstaafl For This Useful Post:
OCRS (11-05-2010)
Old 11-05-2010, 10:55 AM   #10
Hands on owner

Trade: Homes and Remodeling
Rewards Points: 10

I like the passload air nailers for framing. They're well ballanced and never jamb. The cordless passloads are okay for small jobs and when you don't want to drag a hose around, but I have trouble toe-nailing with them. It seems like I'm always fighting the safety with the cordless.

They cordless need a lot of cleaning and if the fuel sits in your truck for too long they go bad. They also don't work very well at cold temps.

If I'm draging out a compressor, I stick with air.
Old 11-05-2010, 11:11 AM   #11
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinstaafl View Post
If you can accurately place 8 nails a second, you're one heckuva lot better coordinated than me.

I shoot about 1 per second with my Paslode, and I have to say I love OCRS' turn of a phrase about "mission creep." Truer words were never spoken.
Heck yeah, sheet walls with me for a day! O.k, one nail a second, but you can't frame an entire house with a cordless nailer. I suppose you could but you would be laughed at, maybe that's why his friend wants to sell it.
Old 11-05-2010, 11:17 AM   #12
Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by RenoDude View Post
I like the passload air nailers for framing. They're well ballanced and never jamb. The cordless passloads are okay for small jobs and when you don't want to drag a hose around, but I have trouble toe-nailing with them. It seems like I'm always fighting the safety with the cordless.

They cordless need a lot of cleaning and if the fuel sits in your truck for too long they go bad. They also don't work very well at cold temps.

If I'm draging out a compressor, I stick with air.
You can try sharpening the teeth on the nose a bit . For the cold temps, I asked my wife to sew in a long pocket inside my jacket. When the gun starts to misfire, swap it out with a warm one.
Old 11-05-2010, 11:23 AM   #13
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCRS View Post
You can try sharpening the teeth on the nose a bit . For the cold temps, I asked my wife to sew in a long pocket inside my jacket. When the gun starts to misfire, swap it out with a warm one.
A jacket keeps your nail gun warm?
Old 11-05-2010, 11:27 AM   #14
Steve

Quote:
A jacket keeps your nail gun warm?
Uh..ya Fuel cells
Old 11-05-2010, 11:59 AM   #15
Capra aegagrus

Trade: Remodeler
Rewards Points: 3,510

Quote:
Heck yeah, sheet walls with me for a day! O.k, one nail a second, but you can't frame an entire house with a cordless nailer. I suppose you could but you would be laughed at, maybe that's why his friend wants to sell it.
Oh, I definitely agree that's the time to bring out the air. But for small jobs you're actually more productive with the slower gun. No time wasted dragging out the compressor, hoses and extension cords. And no hose to drag all over the place.
Old 11-05-2010, 12:00 PM   #16
Pro

Trade: Construction
Rewards Points: 48

Quote:
The Hitachi air Framing gun can shoot eight nails a second. The Passload cordless, about one nail every two seconds? It is not the gun for the serious framer. They do have their place though in doing pick-up carpentry, or doing small jobs here and there.
Paslode can infact shoot around 3 nails a second. Even at that rate your moving at some serious speed.

Also if I was the original poster I wouldn't pay $300 for a used tool. I bought the brand new paslode framer just the other day for a tad over $300 brand new with a price match at lowes. You can't get that same deal but they are only about $330 on line.
Old 11-05-2010, 12:08 PM   #17
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCConstruction View Post
Paslode can infact shoot around 3 nails a second. Even at that rate your moving at some serious speed.

Also if I was the original poster I wouldn't pay $300 for a used tool. I bought the brand new paslode framer just the other day for a tad over $300 brand new with a price match at lowes. You can't get that same deal but they are only about $330 on line.
Well, we'd have to time one. But I've never seen one go very fast, they get jambed when you try to pick up speed.
Old 11-05-2010, 04:16 PM   #18
Hands on owner

Trade: Homes and Remodeling
Rewards Points: 10

Quote:
I'm refering to the amount of pressure that it takes to depress the safety. It's difficult to toe-nail a 2x when it's not wedged in tight. I cut a few coils off the safety spring on the Passload air nailers too for the same reason.
Old 11-05-2010, 04:56 PM   #19
Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by RenoDude View Post
I'm refering to the amount of pressure that it takes to depress the safety. It's difficult to toe-nail a 2x when it's not wedged in tight. I cut a few coils off the safety spring on the Passload air nailers too for the same reason.
Is there any metal-to-metal friction? Maybe it's a stretched o-ring. I'm guessing that a fresh (non-expired), warm fuel cell makes no difference and that it's been cleaned?
Old 11-05-2010, 05:26 PM   #20

Rewards Points: 25

Quote:
umm i have 2 of the old black ones and they work best when its freezing cold. when the air tools freeze up the paslode shoots at the top of its game. but when its warm its kinda the oppisate