Fastcap 3rd Hand Support System.

Old 12-19-2011, 09:44 AM   #1
Pro

Trade: repair & renovation
Rewards Points: 2,224

Fastcap 3rd Hand Support System.

Hey guys does anyone have the fastcap 3rd hand poles?

Here's the link...

http://www.amazon.com/FastCap-Suppor...4309157&sr=8-1

I know zipwall is the industry standard but I want to gives these a shot. They seem more versitile..

What does everyone think?

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 12-19-2011, 09:48 AM   #2
Pro

Trade: Home Framing- Roof Stacking
Rewards Points: 2,462

Re: Fastcap 3rd Hand Support System.

I've got one and it works fine. I hear the Harbor Fright ones are good too

Old 12-19-2011, 09:52 AM   #3
Pro

Aren't they just load bars for trucking? Or???

I want something that won't damage the ceiling when putting up protection...
Old 12-19-2011, 09:59 AM   #4

Trade: Gc
Rewards Points: 75

I have these. They are awesome for dust shields. I havn't used them for crown yet like they show in the picture but they are definitely useful if you work alone.
Old 12-19-2011, 10:03 AM   #5
Pro

Trade: Home Framing- Roof Stacking
Rewards Points: 2,462

I got mine at Woodcrafters,,,,, It's 6:00 I gotta go to work
Old 12-19-2011, 10:04 AM   #6
General Contractor

Trade: General Contractor
Location: St. Petersburg, FL Minds of moderate caliber ordinarily condemn everything which is beyond their range.
Rewards Points: 2,196

I've had a set of four for several years now. I use them mainly for setting upper kitchen cabinets. They make minute (1/16") adjustments easy and simple.

They aren't that good for crown. I use adjustable plastic hangers for that. But they WILL effectively force a piece of crown into place while glue dries when nails aren't holding all that well.
Old 12-19-2011, 10:21 AM   #7
Giving it my best

Trade: Cabinet Maker and Residential Remodeler
Rewards Points: 512

I work alone and use one of these for all kinds of help, including crown work, and who knows what else. I'm glad to have it - sometimes wish I had 2 or 3 - like for curtaining areas. Not a substitute for a laser jamb pole to hold your laser level but otherwise a great 3rd hand.
Old 12-19-2011, 12:24 PM   #8
Pro

Trade: Remodel/Deck
Rewards Points: 1,172

I have two, but will pick up two more if I stumble upon some. They have a magnetic tip on them that you can use to clip plastic sheet onto to make setting up a barrier wall pretty easy. I also have a pair of short ones that I use if I need to remove/replace cabinet uppers when the bottoms are already installed.
Old 12-19-2011, 12:53 PM   #9
Fortune and glory, kid.

Trade: Remodeler/Restorer
Rewards Points: 1,022

I have a set as well, mainly for containment. Here are some thoughts of these vs. the Zipwall.

The 3rd hands are considerably cheaper and considerably sturdier. They are also considerably heavier and not quite as easy to use as the Zipwalls.

For putting up containment the system they use, a spring loaded pin and holes every 18" or so and then the levered adjustment at the end is a little more awkward to set up, especially on tall ceilings such as we have here (10'-13' or higher).

If you are getting them for containment barriers, honestly if the price were the same as Zipwalls I would get the Zipwalls, since it's not it depends on how important the diff in price matters more than the extra weight and less convenience. If you are getting them for assorted tasks, things like cabs or other load bearing uses they are a good choice.

They are sturdy, much sturdier than the Zipwalls. I checked the HF ones before getting the 3rd hand and they are junk. If you cant inspect the HF before buying I urge to be cautious. However the HF ones are dirt cheap.

I am interested in getting more poles for containment and may well get the Zipwalls for dedicated containment uses and use the 3rd hand for other tasks.
scraigc (12-24-2011)
Old 12-19-2011, 02:12 PM   #10
Pro

Thanks for all the responses everyone. I just ordered 2 to test out.
The price is right and they can do more then just hold up plastic sheeting... Which is deffinitly a plus for me... I can think of 1000 uses already...

The extra weight isant a concern and I am a patient man so they shouldn't be a problem. Can't wait for them to arrive.. should be here by tommorow..
Old 12-19-2011, 02:45 PM   #11
Grand Rapids Remodeling

Trade: Remodeling Contractor
Rewards Points: 2,048

To be honest with you all the subs and other contractors that have happened by my jobsite while using them never have seen 'em before. Since I'm a cheap 'ole crusty bugger I have the harbor freight ones. They have some issues tho. But I use them on every job.

One purpose that really comes in handy is for ceiling drywall. 3 man crew, 2 hold the sheet up, I come behind and jack the 2 poles up, they have two hands to screw it home while I'm cutting the next.

I've got about 20.
Attached Thumbnails
fastcap 3rd hand support system.-dsc_0064_02_01.jpg  
Old 12-19-2011, 03:29 PM   #12
Fortune and glory, kid.

Trade: Remodeler/Restorer
Rewards Points: 1,022

Cool beans, whether you run the 3rd hand, zipwall or hf they are a great addition to the arsenal, enjoy em.
Old 12-19-2011, 04:14 PM   #13
Pro

Trade: Construction
Rewards Points: 4,020

I use mine for holding up drywall, top plates, straightening bowed timbers, crown and of course containment. They have so many uses after you have them. They will extend pretty dam far.
Old 12-20-2011, 08:11 PM   #14
Pro

Well just got the 3rd hands I ordered off amazon. They look cool... Just one problem. There missing all the top and bottom pads... Now I gotta send em back and have amazon send me new ones.
Old 12-21-2011, 05:44 AM   #15
Pro

Trade: hardwood floor contractor & so much more
Rewards Points: 2,712

I've got 4, plus 4 zip walls. I primarily use them for containment. They call em 3rd hand, because you almost need a 3rd hand to use them for containment. My zip walls are my go to poles & the 3rd hand if I got more than 2 doors to cover.
Old 12-24-2011, 04:48 PM   #16

Trade: Finish carpentry
Rewards Points: 25

We have 9 of these, we use them for crown, drywall, tin ceiling, cabinetry...all kinds of stuff.

We had 8 but one of our customer's kids broke one of the tension screws off when he hit it moving his bicycle through the house. I called Fastcap to see if I could order a replacement part...after all it was not their fault. The owner got on the phone and told me he would not send me a part, he made me take a complete replacemet for free. Then he made me take some crown hangers for free too., so now we use the broken one without the tension screw.
Old 12-24-2011, 11:21 PM   #17

Trade: Gc
Rewards Points: 75

They are awesome. Something similar happened to me. I got the 4 pack and I accidentally broke the threaded ball joint off one. I called them up and they sent me a free replacement. It came in the mail a few days later. They have great customer service!