Enclosed Trailer Suggestions

Old 10-25-2007, 01:35 AM   #1
JR

Trade: Handyman
Rewards Points: 10

Enclosed Trailer Suggestions

Hi all!

I'm in the process of buying a new enclosed trailer and been looking on eBay and was wondering what should I look when buying this type of trailer.

I'm looking for a 7 x 14 with v-nose tandem axle.

So far I've been looking for Lark, Covenant cargo and others.

I don't want to spend a fortune to get a nice one.

I found one that I like on eBay and by reading the description and comparing it with the Haulmark brand it seems to be the same construction, don't know what else to look for.

BTW, this is a copy/paste description of the unit,

It has a ramp rear door, 32" side door, roof vent, interior light, and 24" stone guard.It also features 3/4" plywood floors and 3/8" plywood walls. The coupler fits a 2-5/16 " ball. The jack is A-frame 2k. This trailer has two 3500lb. brake axles. The axles is also drop axle, meaning that the trailer is 4" lower than the normal trailer. This makes it easier to load and unload. Also makes less wind drag. The inside dimensions are 81" wide,72" high, 14' 4" long. 7x12plus 2f t vee. The GVWR is 7000lbs.

I would like to get an Haulmark but they are expensive.

What are the options, bad and good thingies to look for.

Thanks in advance

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 10-25-2007, 01:50 AM   #2
David Davis

Trade: ? No thanks, I like mine better!
Rewards Points: 150

Re: Enclosed Trailer Suggestions

I would suggest that if you buy a trailer on ebay, get a double wide. Even if it's shorter than a typical trailer. Ebay is the place to buy....Trailer space rent isn't too high, so for a few bucks a month, you have yourself a nice place...And don't worry, most trailer owners don't want to spend much to get a nice one...

Advertisement

Old 10-25-2007, 06:00 AM   #3
Dan

Trade: Remodeling Contractor
Rewards Points: 2,000
Send a message via AIM to ApgarNJ

I just bought a Rance aluminum renegade trailer. it's all aluminum with stainless steel hinges. you pay a little more but it won't rot out or rust out on ya like the steel framed ones doe eventually. depends where you live. we have a lot of salt on the roads and even when not driving, if a trailer sits a lot, it will rust out just from sitting.
i got an 8.5x18' with a v nose, ramp in the front, ramp in the rear and a side door.
I know that you get what you pay for, so go for a cheap trailer and you'll be replacing it sooner than someone who spent a little more. i plan on having mine for a long time. if you are going to be putting a lot of weight in it and ladders on the roof, get a quality trailer.
i won't say what i spent on mine but it's a lot. but i got alot. even has lights, outlets, and a 30amp breaker/110 system put in. i could have done that myself but i don't have the free time to really put into doing that electrical work. it also looks better when it's factory installed(usuallly)
Old 10-25-2007, 07:36 AM   #4
Custom Builder

Trade: From dirt to ridge vent
Send a message via AIM to Glasshousebltr Send a message via Yahoo to Glasshousebltr

I'd let mine go for 500.00.

Looks a little like a hot dog stand but you can easily change that.
Attached Thumbnails
Enclosed trailer suggestions-p1010050-b.jpg   Enclosed trailer suggestions-p1010086-b.jpg  
Old 10-25-2007, 02:26 PM   #5
Pro

Trade: manager of excavation division

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glasshousebltr View Post
I'd let mine go for 500.00.

Looks a little like a hot dog stand but you can easily change that.
Bob sweet looking trailer. Whose it made by ?
Old 10-25-2007, 02:56 PM   #6
Pro

Trade: Bathroom Remodeling

My only comment is if you are looking to go as big as 14' 4" long, If it was me I'd go a bit bigger to get to 16' inside. That's what I did, that allows me to carry 16 ft stock in trim and such in 'contractor' packs. Might matter to you, might not.

Hey Bob, what's that thing that looks like an escape hatch in the front of your trailer for? Or is it just that? Is it for passing longer stock through?
Old 10-25-2007, 09:10 PM   #7

Hi, I am not sure where you are from, but I just bought an 18' enclosed here in Indiana for a good price. The business has a store on ebay called Vanado. I was going to go with a 14', but am now very happy that I have the 18' and wish I had a 24' Good luck.
Old 10-25-2007, 10:53 PM   #8
JR

Thanks guys for the suggestions I really appreciate it.

I was thinking in getting the 16 but I think it will be a bit bigger than what I need. I actually decided to go with the 14 to get extra space just in case I might need it in the future.

Didn't think about the trims and I might do some work in that also.

My budget for this is about $3500, what do you guys thinks I could get with this budget?

What really might be the difference between the one I'm looking and a Haulmark and one of the top brands?

How much a Haulmark like this will cost?

I'm in Augusta, Ga if that helps.

Thanks again.
Old 10-25-2007, 11:15 PM   #9
Insert title

Trade: Doors-Windows-Decks
Rewards Points: 2,016

Are you going to park it on the street or in driveways? I have a 12' and I would not go any longer because I have to park in driveways when I'm working in the city.
Old 10-26-2007, 07:42 AM   #10
Custom Builder

Trade: From dirt to ridge vent
Send a message via AIM to Glasshousebltr Send a message via Yahoo to Glasshousebltr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Finley View Post
Hey Bob, what's that thing that looks like an escape hatch in the front of your trailer for? Or is it just that? Is it for passing longer stock through?
At first I put the air compressor up there, but quickly realized I needed it for the fan ........that frickin place turns into a hotbox on the warm summer days.
Old 10-26-2007, 02:41 PM   #11

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 75

I have a 12' cargo express, Its great for the stuff I am doing right now. Small enough that I can pretty much take it anywhere around town. I paid $3300 brand new, its alluminum with Advantech floors which is nice.
Old 10-26-2007, 03:41 PM   #12
Dan

all depends what you are putting in it. 12' can really get small in a hurry if you load it up with all your tools.
I may have problems with my 18' getting into some tight driveways but it should work fine for most of my jobs. if ihad to i could park on the street if it's a development. most are single houses on a few acres so there is room to pull in and jockey it around.
Old 10-28-2007, 03:46 PM   #13
JR

Any more suggestions?

What are the important things to look when buying a new unit?
Old 10-28-2007, 10:39 PM   #14
The Deck Guy

Trade: Outdoor Design & Construction
Send a message via AIM to Greg Di

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wellcraft View Post
Any more suggestions?

What are the important things to look when buying a new unit?
Build quality is important if you plan on keeping it for a long time. Things to look for are the use of SS screws, fasteners, hardware on the outside. Look for quality of welds and exterior painting on the frame.

Some options are cheaper to get from the manufacturer rather than doing them yourself (usually) like plywood on the floor and walls. When I bought my enclosed trailer, plywooding the whole trailer was only $200 or something really cheap. At the time, my COST for plywood was double that not including installing the stuff!

Also, pay extra to get standup height. It's usually pretty inexpensive but pays itself back in spades everytime you walk in!!
Old 10-31-2007, 08:57 AM   #15

Well said on the height. You can also look at the floor joist and wall stud spacing. ie.16" or 24". Mine has the "Advantec" floor and 3/8" plywood inside on the walls. Some have luan or nothing. The only wish I have that I didn't get is a couple of vents on the roof. Other than my 18'er being a little heavy loaded, I am pleased and would like to have another 2'.

Thanks, Shannon
Old 11-10-2007, 01:46 PM   #16
General Contractor

Trade: General Contractor/ Concrete Contractor
Rewards Points: 25

I'm in the same boat. I bought a Haulmark 6x10 single axel trailer. back in March. I needed something and at the time that was all my budget allowed. 8 months later I have seriously outgrown this trailer. I am currently looking for a 7x16 foot trailer. Dual axel with brakes it definelty a need for me. I would love to go bigger, but I do alot of residential work and am concerned about manuverabilty as well. Sure i could swing an 18-20' around most places I work, but I'm also looking at parking at my house every night. Do not want a big "eye sore" sitting out front. My 10' is cramped, if 1 tool is out of place all hell breaks loose. Don't make the same mistake I did, plan for future growth.
Old 11-11-2007, 09:36 AM   #17
Dan

7 wide also gets narrow if you put shelves and stuff on both sides. 8 is really nice and big and no more wider than the axles are on the 7's.
i got the deck over one because i hate the wheel wells inside the trailers.
mine should arrive in a week or two.
Old 11-26-2007, 09:48 PM   #18

Trade: Light remodeling

I've got one I don't use that would make someone a nice trailer.
14 ft V-nose ( 16' 2'' inside there about ) 7 high 8.5 wide, rockguard on front, fold down jacks in rear, ramp door in rear, large walk-in side door, wire for 110v w/ recptacles installed and florescent lights along with new 13,500 btu A/C, been used very little. $4500 Help with delivery possible.
william210@centurytel.net for pic's
Old 12-01-2007, 11:11 PM   #19

Trade: Remodeling/Painting
Rewards Points: 75
Send a message via MSN to Redman

if your are going to pull a trailer everyday you better buy the best you can afford. I bought a 6x15 v-nose haulmark and it is an awsome trailer. Sure I could use a bigger one but I can fit 15' trim in it and hold all my tools and it solid and have not had one problem with it. I see the trailers at HD and menards and they are way over priced. I mine for 3200.00 and they are asking that for some of those cheap @ss ones at HD and Menards. Call around to trailer shops and you'll find a good deal. and ask them if they can beat the other prices that other places quoted you. good luck
Old 12-03-2007, 12:21 PM   #20
Retired Contractor

Trade: RE Broker, Property Manager, Retired Contractor
Rewards Points: 504

I bought mine used and it was/is in great condition. Its a 6 x 14' PACE Cargo Sport with Ramp Door and Walk In Height. I like the lenght because I can fit in any tandem parking spot.

If I had a choice I would have gone wider though. 6' is a bit tight once I put everything in there. I set it up so I can strap 4x8 sheets standing on edge almost in the center. Bench/Tool Storage in front and hanging stuff on the side. Ladder Racks on top.

I would have also prefered a side door which I might still add at some point so I can get to the bench when I have a full load.

The ramp door is great. I can easily roll a Home Depot/Lowes Cart right in fully loaded. And roll it right out at the job. I have also used it to transport a tractor, quad and other items I can place on dollys.

Here are some pics. It was completely bare inside when I got it.
Attached Images

Advertisement