Bosch Or Senco Cordless Finish Nailer?

Old 09-03-2011, 10:49 AM   #1
Pro

Trade: Home Improvement Contractor
Rewards Points: 532

Bosch Or Senco Cordless Finish Nailer?

My Rigid is finally giving out (driver is getting stuck after every other shot amongst other things). I dont ever want to go back to pneumatic again so I am looking for a quality battery operated (dont want a paslode). I had my mind made up on the bosch since all of my cordless stuff is bosch li-ion but then I found that Senco makes a really nice looking one for the same price.
Anyone have any experience with either? Senco is 15ga while the bosch is 16ga, point to senco on that.
The Following User Says Thank You to SuperiorHIP For This Useful Post:
BillyJ (11-01-2011)

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 09-03-2011, 10:52 AM   #2
SEMI RETIRED

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 3,516

Re: Bosch Or Senco Cordless Finish Nailer?

A friend of mine has shot a lot of nails through his Senco.

What ever you get make sure nails & parts are readily available.

Old 09-03-2011, 10:57 AM   #3
Pro

Bosch has been good to me so far and as much as I want to get the bosch I really think Senco has them beat by a large margin on this one. Anyone interested should look at this video
Apparently the Senco uses a compressed nitrogen cylinder to drive the nail instead of a flywheel (I assume like the nitro piston pellet rifles) and uses the battery to recock it. You can even bump fire it which I dont think you can do with any other cordless gun.
One problem I have had with my Rigid is like yesterday, hanging crown by myself trying to get the corner perfect I leave the gun pressed so when its right I just pop the nail, this lets the gun hold the corner in while position it. With the flywheel you can only hold it for a few seconds and the motor stops and you have to reset.
Old 09-03-2011, 12:17 PM   #4
KemoSabe

Trade: residential framing/siding/general carpentry
Rewards Points: 2,146

The problem I see with the Senco is the fact that it shoots 15 gauge nails. I've been trimming houses since the mid 80s and have always used 16 gauge nails without any issues with holding power. 15 gauge leaves a substantially larger "bullet hole" than the 16 gauge.

I understand that most folks don't like the Paslode Impulse guns because of the fuel cells. As for odor, I've never had a homeowner complain or even comment on the smell.

The only real drawback is the cold temperature issue.

For production trim, pnuematic is still the way to go IMO.

"Walking the fine line between production and perfection"

Old 09-03-2011, 12:44 PM   #5
Pro

Trade: Estimating
Rewards Points: 920

My thoughts in a nutshell. (I have used Paslode, Dewalt, and the Senco)

1. I dislike Paslode's. Although you may not have to change out the fuel cartridge that often, it's still annoying to have to buy them and keep them in the truck. Out of the three this gun jammed the most. Homeowners may not complain about the fuel smell, but I don't like it.

2. Dewalt is a nice gun, but it is awkardly balanced. I don't know if it's heavier than the Senco, but it is certainly not balanced as well. It does not bump fire.

3. None of these are for production trimwork. But I assume you know that when looking at a cordless nailer. These types of guns are the cat's arse for remodeling and other small projects/houses you don't want to drag a cord through.

4. The Senco is my favorite right now. But it's only 3 months old. All of my work lately has been remodeling and it is a BA tool. I wish I would have gotten the 18g version as I like brads better than finish nails in most of my work.

Last edited by slowsol; 09-03-2011 at 12:45 PM. Reason: I was wrong, it's only 3 months old.
Old 09-03-2011, 12:44 PM   #6
Pro

I have always used 15ga except the short period I had a paslode. I have no doubts that a 16ga is sufficient, I just already have a 15ga pneumatic gun and a ton of nails. Being that I'm also always the painter on my jobs I don't mind the 15 ga holes.

Well, I have made up my mind on the Senco. One thing I have always said is if a company came out with a trim gun and a brad gun that both ran on batteries I would be sold. While I'm not going to spend that much money right now at least its there when I want to drop the extra $$. Anyone who has read my tool posts will know is I am a Bosch guy, every cordless tool I own (and the radio) is Bosch but I just dont think any of the other cordless guns stack up to this.
Best price so far is $399 but all the CPO outlets are offering a labor day 10% off sale bringing it to $369 shipped. Going to look around and see if I can find it with a free battery (was offered a few months ago).
Old 09-03-2011, 12:47 PM   #7
trim carpenter/remodeler

Trade: trim carpenter/remodeler
Rewards Points: 512

The Ridgid you have should be under warranty. I haven't heard anything at all about the Bosch battery guns, but have heard nothing but bad things from a few people about the pnuematic Bosch guns. FWIW, I have never been disappointed with my Paslodes.
Old 09-03-2011, 12:52 PM   #8
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowsol View Post
My thoughts in a nutshell. (I have used Paslode, Dewalt, and the Senco)

1. I dislike Paslode's. Although you may not have to change out the fuel cartridge that often, it's still annoying to have to buy them and keep them in the truck. Out of the three this gun jammed the most. Homeowners may not complain about the fuel smell, but I don't like it.

2. Dewalt is a nice gun, but it is awkardly balanced. I don't know if it's heavier than the Senco, but it is certainly not balanced as well. It does not bump fire.

3. None of these are for production trimwork. But I assume you know that when looking at a cordless nailer. These types of guns are the cat's arse for remodeling and other small projects/houses you don't want to drag a cord through.

4. The Senco is my favorite right now. But it's only 3 months old. All of my work lately has been remodeling and it is a BA tool. I wish I would have gotten the 18g version as I like brads better than finish nails in most of my work.

Maybe I am weird but I always liked the paslode smell, I own the framing gun and have used it quite a bit. I just dont like the fuel cells and its noisy as hell, used to make my ears ring in a bathroom.

On the dewalt, I have been unimpressed with dewalt in general (down to their screw bits). I do own a dewalt drywall gun and miter saw which I had to repair twice.

I don't do any production work, the Senco looks like it will shoot nails faster than the flywheel guns but honestly the Rigid worked plenty fast enough for what I do (when it was working as it should!).
Old 09-03-2011, 06:11 PM   #9
topsail's trimcat

Trade: finish Carpenter/ renovations
Rewards Points: 2,138

i have yet to hear anything good about the cordless rigid nailers, its been well reported that they dont last very long or perform well.

as for the bosch nailers, i have the 18 gauge air gun, they had the right idea to make it more powerful and lighter however it isnt. the one i bought wouldnt sink 1 1/2' nails into 1/4 round, they sent me a replacement nailer last month however havent had a chance to see if the issue was just with my original gun or if they have bugs to work out

id say paslode, they started the cordless thing and have just about perfected it, the only thing you need to worry about is keeping hte gun clean.

dewalt..... ive used about a dozen dewalt nailers and only one didnt jamb in the first 30 minutes. they have been cordless nailers, 16 gauge, 18 gauge, coil nailers and framers.. all jammed and all had odd balance. even worse their cordless is about as heavy as a framing gun

cant say much about the senco, i havent used a cordless senco in 8 years and that was the basis for which dewalt copied
Old 09-13-2011, 10:57 PM   #10
Pro

Update:
Ordered the Senco, got it last Thursday. Upon opening it I found the case to be pretty cheaply made, single walled plastic that had a few cracked dividers and a chunk missing from one just from the jarring during shipping. There was zero damage to the gun so I wasn't worried about the case too much, took it all out and charged up the battery. Couldn't do too much because it was 9pm but I had to play, grabbed a strip of nails and tested it out on a 2x4. Overall the gun felt good, a little awkward feeling but I assume its only because I'm so used to my old gun. Gun shot fine but damn was it louder than I expected, just as loud as I remember my old paslode finish nailer (maybe not, its been a while but it was definitely loud).
Now, I brought it to the local fed ex station to return it. Keeping in mind I fully charged the battery last Thursday, I took it out to nail in a few small pieces of base and chair rail (4 pieces less than a foot long each) and it wouldn't work, battery completely dead. Had to charge the battery 5 times to get those 4 pieces of moulding in and the gun seemed to lock up a few times. I called CPO Senco and told them what was up and they, no questions asked, sent me an RMA number and paid return shipping. I ordered the Bosch, it will be here tomorrow and hopefully wont disapoint.

I do understand things happen and it was probably just a bad battery but overall it was a disappointment from the beginning.
Old 09-14-2011, 06:51 AM   #11
Finishing Carpenter

Trade: finishing Carpenter
Rewards Points: 662

I've had the 15 gauge Senco fusion for quite a while now. It doe's work, almost no jams at all. I do find that the three second lockout is a huge pain in the butt though. If they'd get rid of that feature I'd probably use this gun a lot more than I do, AND I'd buy their 18 gauge version.

Not until they get rid of that dumb lockout feature though, it's a deal breaker for me. Way the heck up a ladder, bending crown into a surprise! uphill ceiling, you have to fiddle and push, I can't do that all day waiting for the gun to show up to work! I need it to work when I say so! Other than that I love that gun LOL
Old 09-14-2011, 09:22 AM   #12
Pro

Trade: Remodeling Contractor
Rewards Points: 500
Send a message via MSN to WildWill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrmac204 View Post
I've had the 15 gauge Senco fusion for quite a while now. It doe's work, almost no jams at all. I do find that the three second lockout is a huge pain in the butt though. If they'd get rid of that feature I'd probably use this gun a lot more than I do, AND I'd buy their 18 gauge version.

Not until they get rid of that dumb lockout feature though, it's a deal breaker for me. Way the heck up a ladder, bending crown into a surprise! uphill ceiling, you have to fiddle and push, I can't do that all day waiting for the gun to show up to work! I need it to work when I say so! Other than that I love that gun LOL
What is this 3 second lockout?
Old 09-14-2011, 10:06 AM   #13
Pro

Trade: Estimating
Rewards Points: 920

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperiorHIP View Post
Update:
Ordered the Senco, got it last Thursday. Upon opening it I found the case to be pretty cheaply made, single walled plastic that had a few cracked dividers and a chunk missing from one just from the jarring during shipping. There was zero damage to the gun so I wasn't worried about the case too much, took it all out and charged up the battery. Couldn't do too much because it was 9pm but I had to play, grabbed a strip of nails and tested it out on a 2x4. Overall the gun felt good, a little awkward feeling but I assume its only because I'm so used to my old gun. Gun shot fine but damn was it louder than I expected, just as loud as I remember my old paslode finish nailer (maybe not, its been a while but it was definitely loud).
Now, I brought it to the local fed ex station to return it. Keeping in mind I fully charged the battery last Thursday, I took it out to nail in a few small pieces of base and chair rail (4 pieces less than a foot long each) and it wouldn't work, battery completely dead. Had to charge the battery 5 times to get those 4 pieces of moulding in and the gun seemed to lock up a few times. I called CPO Senco and told them what was up and they, no questions asked, sent me an RMA number and paid return shipping. I ordered the Bosch, it will be here tomorrow and hopefully wont disapoint.

I do understand things happen and it was probably just a bad battery but overall it was a disappointment from the beginning.
Sorry to hear that. Let us know how the Bosch works out!