Best Winter Work Gloves?

Old 11-27-2005, 04:45 PM   #1
DGR,IABD

Trade: Electrical; Commercial and Residential Service
Rewards Points: 2,000

Best Winter Work Gloves?

Anyone got any advice on winter work gloves? I generally have just used the brown knit "Jersey" gloves. I go through about a dozen pairs a winter myself. They don't keep my hands especially warm. I do a lot of outdoor tasks that require a certain amount of "feel", and I find myself taking the gloves on and off many times a day when working outside. If I try to hold a screw with gloves on, the gloves inevidedably get wound up in about every third screw I drive in, often creating a hole. I was considering trying a pair of the "Mechanix" type gloves, that form fit like batter's gloves or golfing gloves, but I wasn't sure whether they'd be warm in the winter or not. At 25 bucks a pair, I thought I'd ask. Any other suggestions?

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 11-27-2005, 05:18 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: Exiled For Life

Re: Best Winter Work Gloves?

I like the tight knit gloves with the blue rubber over the palm and fingers. In the winter I like the grey one as they are a warmer. The brand name is a blank at the moment but any gas station or construction supply seem to carry them around here. I have a a pair some where I will look for them.

Advertisement

The Following User Says Thank You to JustaFramer For This Useful Post:
jkfox624 (12-23-2011)
Old 11-27-2005, 05:27 PM   #3
Pro

Trade: underground

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustaFramer
I like the tight knit gloves with the blue rubber...
Ditto. I think the 'Atlas' brand fits best and has the best feel. There are other similar brands that I do not like becuse the coating is less rubberized (it's more like plastic) and the elasticity of the glove material is low.

I had a pair of the mechanix gloves that were the 'framing' style - they didn't have finger tips. I liked them a lot but at $25 a clip I think the $5 blue coated gloves are a better value. I seem to lose most gloves before I wear them out.

Last edited by PipeGuy; 11-27-2005 at 05:34 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to PipeGuy For This Useful Post:
JustaFramer (12-23-2011)
Old 11-27-2005, 05:42 PM   #4
LCO/Propety Maintenance

Trade: Lawn Care and Property Maintenance
Rewards Points: 75

All I've ever use is the jerseys, but what I do is cut the tip off the thumb and forefinger of the left handed so I would have a way to hold nails and screws without catching the gloves.
Old 11-27-2005, 05:45 PM   #5
DGR,IABD

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenpastureslc
All I've ever use is the jerseys, but what I do is cut the tip off the thumb and forefinger of the left hand...
Mine end up that way, regardless of whether I cut them off or not. What I end up with is a freezing cold thumb and finger. I don't like that. I'm a wuss in cold weather. I hate hot weather. I'm too young to quit doing field work altogether. If I can't find a decent pair of winter work gloves, I think I'll quit everything and go on welfare so that TomR can support me.
Old 11-27-2005, 06:14 PM   #6
Pro

Yep atlas is the brand. The grey for the winter are the best.
Old 11-27-2005, 06:26 PM   #7
Electrical Contractor

Trade: Electrical
Rewards Points: 1,082

Atlas Thermal are the grey ones. I go through a couple of pair each winter. Best 5 bucks you can spend this time of year!

Old 11-27-2005, 06:50 PM   #8
DGR,IABD

It looks like the jury is in. I guess I'm shopping for grey, Atlas brand gloves, with blue rubber stuff on them.

I'd never have automatically chosen that one. Thanks guys!
Old 11-27-2005, 06:57 PM   #9
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdshunk
It looks like the jury is in. I guess I'm shopping for grey, Atlas brand gloves, with blue rubber stuff on them.

I'd never have automatically chosen that one. Thanks guys!
Actually the thermals are grey rubber
Old 11-27-2005, 08:51 PM   #10
Back from the dead...

Trade: Paperhanger/Painter
Rewards Points: 2,504

I don't work outside, but fish a lot of tournaments in the winter.
I always use neoprene gloves. They fit like a wet suit, and keep your hands very warm and dry. Check out the link below. some have fingertips that pop open for better feel on delicate tasks.
Gloves
The Following User Says Thank You to ProWallGuy For This Useful Post:
Tom Struble (12-23-2011)
Old 11-27-2005, 09:01 PM   #11
DGR,IABD

I buzzed down to Wal*Mart. They didn't have Atlas, but I did pick up this Wells-LaMont pair:

The neoprene fishing gloves seem really nice, until I saw the price. 40 bucks. The more expensive, the more likely I am to lose them or get a hole in them the first day.

Last edited by mdshunk; 11-27-2005 at 09:06 PM.
Old 11-27-2005, 10:46 PM   #12
Pro

Trade: Custom deck builder
Rewards Points: 3,681

I use the yellow stanleys with little black beads on them but only on mildly cold days the really cold days I just go home
Old 11-27-2005, 11:44 PM   #13
Pro

Trade: General construction and remodeling
Rewards Points: 1,024

I used to have an in at the cabineet company i loaded trailer for and bought boxes of kit gloves with full rubbering. these things trapped the heat in and would make you finger sweat, once they wer broke in they were very dexterious. Cant get them anymore as the cabinet compnay found a cheaper brand that aint worth a crap.

Typically the jersey gloves are all I use, about half a day and I have to cut finger/thumb tip off lol from either driving naild through them or the good ole screw trick I hate the rubber knubbey jerseys as they get very slippery when cold.

I also tried a few pairs of neopreme gloves. I liked they kept my finger warm, I'd say medium duty dexterity since the rubber is kinda thick. But all the finger/thumb problems I have with jersey gloves I had with the neopreme ones as well. they'd start chunking rubber. Never tried the flipper type, so that may be an option.

Either way I'm gonna get a set of the above mentioned type gloves and give them a try
Old 11-28-2005, 12:16 AM   #14
Historic Restoration

Rewards Points: 10

thanks, guys -- these even come in small. I have very thin fingers, and when gloves slip around, its a safety hazard. It looks like Ace Hardware carries them, but smalls are special orders.
Old 11-28-2005, 12:18 AM   #15
Pro

Trade: Whatever needs to be made or repaired
Rewards Points: 10,392

A friend of mine bought a pair of these and loves them. The mitten portion is secured out of the way with a magnet. Only $10.00
I wear the Master Series winter glove from Duluth and it keeps the hands pretty warm, although dealing with screws is a different matter...

Attachment 931

Last edited by Robie; 02-11-2006 at 08:50 PM.
Old 11-28-2005, 09:50 AM   #16
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanrevivals
thanks, guys -- these even come in small. I have very thin fingers, and when gloves slip around, its a safety hazard. It looks like Ace Hardware carries them, but smalls are special orders.
would someone please tell me why it is almost impossible to find small and sometimes medium when it comes to clothes, tool belts, gloves related to construction? I have to buy the womens stanley gloves. And on my old framing crew everyone of the guys had to punch new holes in thier toolbelts. I have finally found 1 set of tool bags that I did not have to punch new holes in. But I can not buy jackets, bib overalls, coveralls without special order.
Old 11-28-2005, 09:59 AM   #17
Back from the dead...

Trade: Paperhanger/Painter
Rewards Points: 2,504

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertCDF
I have to buy the womens stanley gloves.
Holy cow, did you just say that out loud?
Hey, just kiddin'.
I actually have big hands, and its a bitch of a time to find gloves in XL or XXL.
Really sucks when they just don't fit right.
Before I met my wife, I was 6'2", 150#. Try to find jeans that are 29" waist with 36" length.
Luckily, she plumped me up with good southern cooking, and I blew up to 210#. At least now I can find clothes that fit right. And my arms don't look like monkey arms anymore.
Old 11-28-2005, 12:17 PM   #18
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProWallGuy
Holy cow, did you just say that out loud?
Hey, just kiddin'.
I actually have big hands, and its a bitch of a time to find gloves in XL or XXL.
Really sucks when they just don't fit right.
Before I met my wife, I was 6'2", 150#. Try to find jeans that are 29" waist with 36" length.
Luckily, she plumped me up with good southern cooking, and I blew up to 210#. At least now I can find clothes that fit right. And my arms don't look like monkey arms anymore.
Yea I almost did not post it I thought about it for a while but I wanted to put in my 2 cents. As far as the pants go I need 28x29 or 28x30 but they are imposible to find here. I tried gaining weight but all I did was go from 125# to 130# and none of it on my waist.
The Following User Says Thank You to RobertCDF For This Useful Post:
Cabdoctor (12-23-2011)
Old 11-28-2005, 01:49 PM   #19

http://www.iclad.com/ironclad/mission.html

Old 11-28-2005, 06:55 PM   #20
Pro

Trade: General construction and remodeling
Rewards Points: 1,024

You skinney guys make me sick Seems I'm eating the same amount of fast food as always, but now it stays with me and is somehow reproducing with itself in my belly LOL!! I'm envious of the guys that can eat and drink sugar all day and all night and never gain a pound. oh well, bigger fuel tank for the sex machine I guess...too bad for you guy!!

Advertisement