Best Kneepads?

Old 01-14-2006, 11:42 AM   #1
DGR,IABD

Trade: Electrical; Commercial and Residential Service
Rewards Points: 2,000

Best Kneepads?

A great deal of my time working is spent on my knees (no crude comments, please), whether it be indoors or outdoors. I got a set of kneepads for the first time a few years ago, as I noticed them gaining popularity among workmen of all trades. The first pair I got were comfortabe, and had hard plastic knee caps. Well, the first time I squatted down on a smooth troweled concrete floor in them, my one knee slipped out sideways due to the hard plastic cap. Plicture doing a "split" on your knees. I pulled a groin muscle or something, because I sure was sore for a while. After that instance, I threw the pads out with the hard plastic caps and got a $3 pair that are just all foam rubber with a velcro strap. That's pretty much what I've been using ever since, but I've gone through several pairs. They don't last too long (maybe a year), but they are only 3 to 5 bucks a pair. I'm about due to shop for a new pair, and I thought I'd ask for recommendations. It seems like there must be a pair by now that are considered "the best" by a lot of people. They need to be non marking, for kneeling on finished flooring from time to time. Help me out.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 01-14-2006, 11:51 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 0

Re: Best Kneepads?

Last edited by cdac; 02-12-2006 at 11:10 PM.

Old 01-14-2006, 12:06 PM   #3
DGR,IABD

Trade: Electrical; Commercial and Residential Service

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdac
Mabey try some neoprene wrestling kneepads under your pants, back of the knee cut out for bending
Well, one of the consequencial side benefits of wearing knee pads for kneeling tasks is that the knees of your trousers don't wear out. The knee pads take all the wear and tear. I really like that unexpected benefit.
Old 01-14-2006, 12:38 PM   #4
Back from the dead...

Trade: Paperhanger/Painter
Rewards Points: 2,004

I got an old pair made by Bucket Boss. I've had/used for over 6 years now. Still good as new. I don't think they make the ones I have as I can't find them anywhere. But these would be my next choice when mine wear out.

http://www2.northerntool.com/product-1/200313953.htm
Old 01-14-2006, 01:35 PM   #5
Pro

Trade: General Building Contractor
Rewards Points: 75

If you are looking for the best, I would suggest ProKnee ($159.). The tile guys swear by them.
Old 01-14-2006, 01:42 PM   #6
Deck Designer/Builder

Trade: Construction Project Manager
Rewards Points: 1,000

I was going to suggest ones along the lines of what PWG suggested. I've got really bad knees from years of playing goalie and I should probably use a pair but I've tried several different types. They always seem to bind on me at the back and/or cut into me too much. I've given up trying to find a pair and just live with the pain. Hopefully, you'll have better luck.
Old 01-14-2006, 02:47 PM   #7
Pro

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 500

I also need a new pair, but my problem is different. I HATE the friction burn that most knee pads give you behind the back of the knee. If I use knee pads for an entire day, the next two days I will have this ‘sun burn’ feeling on the back of my legs. My cousin is a bricklayer and has a very nice set of leather knee pads, but when I went to go buy them I was told they don’t make them anymore. So I also would like to hear what you guys consider a good knee pad.
Old 01-14-2006, 03:26 PM   #8
Professional Remodeler

Trade: Remodeling Contractor
Rewards Points: 1,000

I am in the same boat as DecksEtc, I have tried many different styles over the last few years, hard ones, soft ones, gel-filled ones, molded ones, etc. All the ones I tried never really fit right, cut off circulation, and most kept sliding off to the side or down below my knee or were just plain uncomfortable. And I spent more time rearranging them than kneeling on them.

I looked and the ProKnee ones Kapena suggested, looks interesting, and I don't mind spending the $$$$ if they work. Hell, I have probably spent more than that in the last five years trying all the other brands.
Old 01-14-2006, 05:49 PM   #9
Pro

Trade: Carpenter
Rewards Points: 2,028

I hate kneepads, way too damn uncomfortable, - - but what I use when I need to work on my knees are my concrete 'kneeling-boards', - - they're used for when you're finishing concrete, - - they're plastic on the bottom, padded on the top (kind of a rubbery stryrofoam) with a handle on each side, - - they measure about (I don't know) maybe 12" wide by 20" long by about 1 1/2" thick, - - I believe I paid about $23/each for them from my local concrete supply store. I have four of them for doing concrete work but for general use I only need one of them, two at the most. Basically, it's just a glorified version of a thickly carpeted piece of plywood. Just my two cents.
Old 01-14-2006, 06:11 PM   #10
Remodeler

Trade: Remodeler

Ya know I was going to invent a knee pad hold pair of pants and sure enough I see them in this months Tools of the Trade mag. I wish I had acted sooner. No straps to chafe the back of your legs.
Anyway MD I went through the same problem with my first pair did the split on a tile floor. didn't hurt myself but could see the possibility. I them bought some at Harbor freight for a few bucks and they are just white rubber like. Pretty comfortable and no marring. Seem to be lasting well. I have seen these other places but I would think HF would be the best price.
There all a pain in the ass anyway. But my knees need all the help they can get.
I will never leave you hanging!
Old 01-14-2006, 07:27 PM   #11
General Contractor

Trade: ?
Rewards Points: 75

MinConst
Can you give a link or the name of those pads? I did a search but can't find them
Thanks
Old 01-14-2006, 08:55 PM   #12
...jammin

Trade: Rock Disciple

I've had a couple, but the best ones so far have been my skateboarding pads
Old 01-14-2006, 09:03 PM   #13
Remodeler

Trade: Remodeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunnCon
MinConst
Can you give a link or the name of those pads? I did a search but can't find them
Thanks
These are like the ones I have a slightly different design on the face bet their close. Same straps. Same material.
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=93177
I will never leave you hanging!
Old 01-14-2006, 11:00 PM   #14
Pro

Trade: Residential Contractor

Being older than most of you, I have more appreciation for the parts of me that still work. I really like the Duluth model with the gel pads. Cost a little more? Ya! Priced knee surgery?

Whatever you buy, it's cheap insurance.

Albert Einstein
Old 01-14-2006, 11:45 PM   #15
Pro

Trade: Whatever needs to be made or repaired
Rewards Points: 2,878

Yup, got mine from Duluth last year. I got the T-Wedge Patella ones with the gel insert. I had the same problem as most...the things just wouldn't stay in place. I did a lot of research and talked with the tech rep about these before I bought them. He said one trick is to mark the pads "L & R" and alternate them for each use. Said the insert tends to get a memory and they tend to slip off if you wear them on the same knee all the time.
Seemed to work and I like 'em.
This was after knee surgery. Seems climbing in and out of the bed of the truck over the years took its toll. That pressure and grinding of hoisting yourself up with only the knee supporting all your weight did it for me. Just minor athroscopic meniscus repair...out-patient surgery...$5K for all the tests, the surgery and the hospital. Oh yeah, and then there was that nasty staph infection. Let's see...$18K when it was all said and done. Insurance? I don't need no steekin' insurance! Yeah, right.
Old 01-15-2006, 07:12 AM   #16

Trade: Home Builder
Rewards Points: 10

I just picked up a pair of cheapo foam pads and am going to have my sewing ab-led mother put a canvas patch over the knees of a pair of my worn out flannel lined pants. Let you know how that goes. I also just picked up a pair of the Irwin all terrains for half off at Menards. The ones with the single strap. I hate the double straps. They seem to fall and chafe much more that the single strap below the knee.
Old 01-15-2006, 09:04 AM   #17
Pro

Trade: Residential Remodel
Rewards Points: 250

If I am up an down and only on the knees intermittently, I use some rubber pads similar to the Harbor Freight ones. If most of the work for the day is on the knees it's Pro Knees all the way. Those things are great! I can spend a whole day tiling and the knees won't complain at all the next day.

Rich
Old 01-15-2006, 12:28 PM   #18
Pro

Trade: Home Improvement
Rewards Points: 250

I have a friend who is a carpet layer and he has the nicest knee pads I have ever seen. Silicone implants, problem is his knee looks like a boob.

Bob
Old 01-15-2006, 12:34 PM   #19
Pro

Trade: Bathroom Remodeling

Gel pads work well for me. I don't know if you will ever get anything that will last forever, getting a year out of a moderately priced pair seems to be good enough.
Old 01-15-2006, 12:35 PM   #20
Painting Contractor

Trade: Painting Contractor
Send a message via AIM to Humble Abode

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob the builder
I have a friend who is a carpet layer and he has the nicest knee pads I have ever seen. Silicone implants, problem is his knee looks like a boob.

Bob
lol