The Best Electrical Lug Crimpers

Old 08-01-2007, 09:00 PM   #1
Pro

Trade: Residential Contractor

The Best Electrical Lug Crimpers

Manual (bolt cutter) type, no 'hammer type'. Prefer the hex crimp. From 6 Ga. - 2/0 battery cable.

Albert Einstein

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 08-01-2007, 09:13 PM   #2
DGR,IABD

Trade: Electrical; Commercial and Residential Service

Re: The Best Electrical Lug Crimpers

Among electricians, the Thomas and Betts TBM6 is pretty much the standard crimper for that sort of work. There are many nearly identical copies of this same tool under many, many brand names. TBM stands for Thomas and Betts Method, and the 6 is for the six-ton crimping force. It makes a hex crimp or a round crimp depending on the die you click in it, and has dies available for about anything you'd ever want to do. Typically, you crimp copper with a hex crimp, and aluminium with a round crimp, but the actual terminal you're using will have that specified. The tool I'm recommending does #8 through 500 MCM. They show up on eBay every day for between 100 bucks and 500 bucks, depending on how many dies the seller is including with the tool. This is pretty much the real-deal; the be all and end all of manual crimping tools for the larger terminals.

Old 08-05-2007, 11:05 PM   #3
New Guy

Trade: Electrical

Re: The Best Electrical Lug Crimpers

I use the TBM6, as does pretty much everyone else I know...