The "best" Brad Nailer...?

Old 02-23-2008, 12:50 AM   #1
Sharpie

Trade: Renovation contractor
Rewards Points: 150

The "best" Brad Nailer...?

Howdy, I checked the past threads but couldn't get an answer for this question. I use a Bostich Magnesium oil-less gun and I love it for the fact that it is light, doesn't require oil, and has never jammed on me. Problem with being so reliable is I've not tried other guns besides my first cheapy which broke.

My question is......After seeing some trims installed by others and comparing the nail holes to my own I have found that my holes appear to be slighty larger than the others. Is it just the drive pin? The nailer itself? Type of nail?

What are some other brands that you like to use? OK, so there was more than one question....
-Pablo Casals

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 02-23-2008, 09:55 AM   #2
Pro

Trade: Kitchen & Bath
Rewards Points: 500

Re: The "best" Brad Nailer...?

I think for me the primary consideration when buying a brad nailer is the way the safety is set up: Whether the safety on the tip is located under or over the barrel, how much spring tension it has on it, how difficult it is to depress the safety completely on an unruly crown profile, and whether or not I can manually depress the safety with my ring finger in a pinch. Everything else is secondary.

As far as hole size I would think it would be primarily determined by the side of the head on the brad and the size of the drive pin. In theory smaller brad head=smaller drive pin face. I'd start by comparing brads and work backwards. I think Makita and DeWalt both make very nice brad nailers.

www.rubycon.us
Ruby Construction LLC
Lancaster Kitchen Remodeling
Lancaster Bathroom Remodeling

Advertisement

Last edited by orson; 04-13-2008 at 10:26 PM.
Old 02-23-2008, 11:43 AM   #3
Pro

Trade: Trim contractor
Send a message via MSN to Trimcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by orson View Post
I think for me the primary consideration when buying a brad nailer is the way the safety is set up: Whether the safety on the tip is located under or over the barrel, how much spring tension it has on it, how difficult it is to depress the safety completely on an unruly crown profile, and whether or not I can manually depress the safety with my ring finger in a pinch. Everything else is secondary.
.......Or how easy it is to take the saftey completely off the gun
Old 02-23-2008, 03:37 PM   #4
Pro

Trade: Finish Carpentry

I've used quite a few, and my favorite so far is the Senco SLP20. Leaves a fairly small hole, 5/8-1 5/8" capacity, durable, and, most importantly (to me, and Orson apparently ) a small safety device ABOVE the driver blade. I hate guns w/ safeties below the driver, makes it near impossible to fasten bullnose pieces.
Old 02-23-2008, 07:30 PM   #5
Pro

Trade: trim carpentry

i like the porter cable but it tears up to quick. i have grex that works good but needs a little attention.i have a ridgid i have never used. but my favorite is the hitachi, its nearly indestructable. and if it does tear up they give a brand new one. the main quality i look for is how easy it is to take the safety off or make it inactive. i hate trying to nail corners together with the safety
Old 02-23-2008, 07:40 PM   #6
Certified Remodeler

Trade: Kitchen bath remodeler
Rewards Points: 2,000

First gun I grab is the Senco, then an Airy, Rigid and I have a Bostich I got free and haven't tried yet. I also have 3 pinners and I like the Bostich first.
Old 02-23-2008, 07:54 PM   #7

Trade: Carpenter
Rewards Points: 10

Funny, my only pin niler is a Bostich that I got free as well! Works good for me, though I haven't tried any other brands.

Renovations, Restorations, Additions
Old 02-23-2008, 10:17 PM   #8
Pro

Trade: remodeling general contractor

Had the 2" Porter Cable 18 ga and liked it. But one fall too many landed at exactly the wrong place and evidently slightly bent the safety tip, because it started to remain stuck every few shots. Decided that they were cheap enough to not be worth repairing, but the 2" PC was not in stock, so I bought the Dewalt. Although it works okay, it seems to have a pretty sloppy fit on hte driver slot and jams more than I like. I would not recommend it as first choice.
Old 02-23-2008, 10:21 PM   #9
Pro

Trade: home builder carpenter Central Alabama

i also like the senco slp20 brad nailer light weight and durable. I use a stanly bostich N60fn for the bigger finnish nails 1 1/2--2 1/2"
Old 02-27-2008, 07:48 PM   #10

Trade: Remodeling
Rewards Points: 75

Senco's. I've never had one i didn't like. They fire nice and smooth and personally, i've never had an issue. I on occasion use another guy's bostich and every 20 nails or so, it fires 2 at the same time and jams up. And i don't like the way they fire.
Old 02-28-2008, 07:20 AM   #11
Pro

Trade: Trim contractor
Send a message via MSN to Trimcat

Ya bostich is the only brad gun I've used that I really didn't like. Kept jamming and firing two nails like Trimwerx said.... Plus the one I used was too tall... I like a squatty brad gun. One that shoots up to 1 1\4 suits my needs. Sencos.... the older ones anyway... are the best guns in my opinion. Brad, staple, 15 ga, whatever. The new ones are just run of the mill garbage like everyone else now.
Old 02-28-2008, 08:30 AM   #12
Motorboatin' son of a ...

Trade: General Contractor

I've been using the Senco finish pro18 for the past three years. Hasn't jammed on me once. Shoots 5/8" to 2".

Last edited by BKFranks; 01-31-2009 at 06:43 PM.
Old 02-28-2008, 09:49 AM   #13
Pro

Trade: Interior finish/Remodel
Rewards Points: 154

I also use the senco slp20 and the finish pro. Only problem with the slp is the slide that covers the nails wears out after a while. One gun I can only load a half a clip of nails to get it to fire.
Old 02-28-2008, 10:36 AM   #14
Handle It!

Trade: Everything The Union Guys Do Not Want To Do

Staples, Brads, Finish....Senco all the way.

Ultimate Wisdom---------
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OW-cnizLDEE
Old 02-28-2008, 08:20 PM   #15

Trade: Carpentry, Roofing, Framing, Home Improvements
Rewards Points: 25

i bought this black craftsman a couple years ago, its a brad nailer and a finish nailer. It was pricey, but its nice.
http://www.smarter.com/air-nailers-s...i-6172630.html
thats the brad nailer, the brad/finish nailer was over 200$
Old 02-28-2008, 08:54 PM   #16
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by troubleseeker View Post
Had the 2" Porter Cable 18 ga and liked it. But one fall too many landed at exactly the wrong place and evidently slightly bent the safety tip, because it started to remain stuck every few shots. Decided that they were cheap enough to not be worth repairing, but the 2" PC was not in stock, so I bought the Dewalt. Although it works okay, it seems to have a pretty sloppy fit on hte driver slot and jams more than I like. I would not recommend it as first choice.

Had more than my fill of this Dewalt piece of trash, jammed at least 15 times between yesterday and today.. will not be around by Monday, I gaurantee.

Do you guys with the Senco's use Senco brads, or do they work ok with other manufacturer's brads. Senco products are becomming harder to find in my area, particularly a widespread supply of nails. I ask, because I had old Senco SFN40 finish guns years ago, and they were not happy about shooting other brand nails.
Old 02-28-2008, 09:05 PM   #17
Handle It!

Trade: Everything The Union Guys Do Not Want To Do

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWHI View Post
i bought this black craftsman a couple years ago, its a brad nailer and a finish nailer. It was pricey, but its nice.
http://www.smarter.com/air-nailers-s...i-6172630.html
thats the brad nailer, the brad/finish nailer was over 200$
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWHI View Post
for whatever reason, about 3 years ago, I was on a craftsman kick. I like their trim guns, but I bought this wire welded stick framer and its junk. Every other shot miss fires. I'm not even kidding. Garbage, I oil it, take care of it, its practically brand new due to lack of use.

I've been changing my tools over to DeWalt and Bostich and plan on getting a Bostich framer, preferably the one with the interchangeable tips. They make a tip for tico nails

Craftsman nail gun is junk. Has two really good features however, one being a hook by the hose inlet so I can hang it off my belt. Two would be the 360 degree moveable air vent, nice notgetting blasted in the face. None of that matter when it doesn't fire half the time.

Don't get it, junk

http://www.tylertool.com/cr92831anclf.html
thats the current model, mine is all black

Well? do you like craftsman or not????? I do realize , different gun, different application......

Ultimate Wisdom---------
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OW-cnizLDEE
Old 02-28-2008, 09:18 PM   #18
Pro

Trade: Carpentry/ Home Improvements
Rewards Points: 75

fuggit grab a 15 ga. nailer and split it up then let the painters caulk it.

honestly I had the cheapest gun in the world when I was a teenager. 18 gauge workforce wazzup!!!!! worked well forever, then lost it on a job and got a porter cable, which got ripped off. worked well and as long as you didn't press too hard it didn't leave pin holes on the trim just the nail. that one got stolen and I've been using 16 ga. paslode for everything since. no real problems.

Alex
Old 02-29-2008, 12:09 AM   #19
Pro

Trade: Finish Carpentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by troubleseeker View Post

Do you guys with the Senco's use Senco brads, or do they work ok with other manufacturer's brads. Senco products are becomming harder to find in my area, particularly a widespread supply of nails. I ask, because I had old Senco SFN40 finish guns years ago, and they were not happy about shooting other brand nails.
I use Porter Cable brads in my Senco's, with no problems. I liked the Senco's better because they came in a decent cardboard box that didn't spill brads everywhere when you open it like the P-C's do, but I'm having a tough time finding Sencos as well these days.
Old 02-29-2008, 10:10 PM   #20
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLTrim View Post
I use Porter Cable brads in my Senco's, with no problems. I liked the Senco's better because they came in a decent cardboard box that didn't spill brads everywhere when you open it like the P-C's do, but I'm having a tough time finding Sencos as well these days.
Thanks, that answers my question to the point. Porter Cable has become the predominate brad in my area. I agree their boxes have become pretty sad since they changed them a couple of years ago. Before I open a new box, I routinely take six or seven wraps around it with electrical tape.

Advertisement