Best Air Compressor? What Is Your Favorite?

Old 12-19-2007, 03:03 PM   #1

Trade: Pro Flooring Installer - Semi Pro Ultimate Fighter
Rewards Points: 10

Best Air Compressor? What Is Your Favorite?

I am in the market for a new compressor. I am wondering what everyone else is using and what features they like best about them. There seems to be alot of choices on the market lately.

Last edited by Disco Stu; 12-19-2007 at 03:15 PM.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 12-19-2007, 04:06 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: carpentry
Rewards Points: 150

Re: Best Air Compressor? What Is Your Favorite?

my thoughts are for framing or roofing the bigger the better, maybe even gas models may recover faster. i know in another thread you said they were crap, but for trim i don't think you can beat a pc pancake, just my 2 cents

Old 12-19-2007, 05:11 PM   #3
The Grand Wazoo

Trade: It blowed up real good!
Rewards Points: 1,388

What are you using it for?

I have a two stage 300 gallon model in my chassis shop, my boss has a pull behind Ingersoll Rand for breaking concrete and asphalt that we park at the shop, and we have little Porter cable ones that we keep in the trucks for doing service work.
Old 12-19-2007, 05:49 PM   #4
ContractorTalk Flunkie

Trade: Remodeling and Renovation Contractor
Rewards Points: 500

I use a Makita MAC 2400. 2 years and zero problems. It's very quiet too. I do have a larger Craftsman compressor but only break it out when needed. I also have a PC Pancake for smaller projects. But the Makita see nearly daily use.
http://remodelingncarolina.com
Old 12-19-2007, 07:24 PM   #5

Trade: Remodeling/Painting
Rewards Points: 75
Send a message via MSN to Redman

PC pancake for almost everything. I use it all the time, trim or framing. who cares if it runs all day, because at the start and end of the day when you pick it up and do not through your back out, it is all worth it.

I have a buddy who use a 3 way spliter and runs 3 roofing nailers off it all day. Sure it melts down over time but they go out and buy another one and they love it cause it so light and easy to use. Sure it nice on the back.
Old 12-19-2007, 07:40 PM   #6
Pro

Trade: Siding, Windows, Seamless Gutters, Metal Roofing
Rewards Points: 2,132

I use the dewalt on wheels id rather roll that beast around than carry a small pancake
Old 12-19-2007, 08:50 PM   #7
Pro

Trade: General Remodeling
Rewards Points: 250

My advice: Don't buy a hundred dollar one. Within a few months you'll need a ten dollar part and find out they are not available. They are like a disposable razor. Throw em away!
Dave C
Old 12-19-2007, 09:14 PM   #8
Al Smith

Trade: Home Improvement contractor since 1983, In building field since 1974, Licensed
Rewards Points: 1,000
Send a message via ICQ to A W Smith

I have an Emglo AM780-HC4V 2HP since 1998 it has never let me down. I have run three roofs guns off it recently when my roofing sub ran out of gas with his Rolaire gas wheelbarrow compressor. Emglo was bought out by Dewalt so I cant vouch for todays Emglo/Dewalt version.
Old 12-19-2007, 10:17 PM   #9
DGR,IABD

Trade: Electrical; Commercial and Residential Service
Rewards Points: 2,000

Emglo (now Jenny), hands down. Bullet proof compressor, and quiet. It's the blue compressors your grandpa probably used. The DeWalt/'Emglo compressors are crap compared to the Jenny/Emglo compressors. Jenny is still making them the same way, and in the USA. DeWalt cheapened the design and is making them in Mexico.

http://www.jennyproductsinc.com/portables/index.html

Last edited by mdshunk; 12-19-2007 at 10:19 PM.
Old 12-19-2007, 10:31 PM   #10
Pro

Trade: Construction and Remodeling
Rewards Points: 2,158

I use Portercable Pancake for everything framing, roofing, trim. I have 2 of them, one has to be about 10 years old or so thats made in USA and gets used everyday and just now broke. It just needs a new bearing in the piston connecting rod, should be here in a coulple of days. I bought a second identical one a lil while back , but its made in mexico so we will see if it lasts as long

Dave
Old 12-20-2007, 01:31 AM   #11
Palisade Point Const.

Trade: Remodeling/Finish/Framing/Log

Quote:
Originally Posted by A W Smith View Post
I have an Emglo AM780-HC4V 2HP since 1998 it has never let me down. I have run three roofs guns off it recently when my roofing sub ran out of gas with his Rolaire gas wheelbarrow compressor. Emglo was bought out by Dewalt so I cant vouch for todays Emglo/Dewalt version.
I've used a lot of dewalt tools, and have never had one fail on me or had reason to doubt their quality, but I've heard nothing but bad things about their compressors. I think a compressor is the only thing I wouldn't buy from dewalt.
Old 12-20-2007, 05:18 AM   #12
Remodeling Professionals

Trade: Remodeling Contractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Home Serve View Post
My advice: Don't buy a hundred dollar one. Within a few months you'll need a ten dollar part and find out they are not available. They are like a disposable razor. Throw em away!
Dave C
I think I got lucky-I bought one of those no-name hunnerd dollar ones about 3 1/2 years ago and that puppy's still running strong. And it sees some heavy constant use on a daily basis-framing nailers, impact wrenches for driving deck lags, etc. It's a 6 gallon oil-bath horizontal unit, on wheels. The plastic intake filter/muffler broke off after about a week and never got fixed so it's been sucking dirty air all its life. I've changed the oil three times but that's about it. The brass air elbow coming out of the head to the tank cracked on the threads inside the head so its sorta loose but still attached-that didn't stop her. I'm just going to run her into the ground, see how long it takes.

Old 12-20-2007, 06:54 AM   #13
Pro

Trade: Painting Contractor

NOT cratfsmen, nothing but problems
Old 12-20-2007, 07:45 AM   #14

Trade: Pro Flooring Installer - Semi Pro Ultimate Fighter
Rewards Points: 10

Thanks all for the feedback, I was looking for the 3-6 gallon range with an electric motor to replace my unit that has died. I have seen an Aluminum compressor at HD, a hitachi at Lowes and my local nail dealers seem to have Dewalt. They all have different design and features.

Does anyone have an opionion on which models would be the easiest to carry into a house?

Sorry Wink, I did not have the best experience with PC. Sounds like you have having much better luck.

Last edited by Disco Stu; 12-20-2007 at 07:50 AM.
Old 12-20-2007, 02:41 PM   #15
The Duke

Trade: Cabinet Maker
Rewards Points: 2,036

I bought one of the dewalts that turn sideways. It's a little on the heavy side, but you can carry it close to your body so it seems easier than one of the pancake compressors. You would need to figure if you want oilless or oiled. Oilless will be generally a quiet type of compressor. Mine is rather loud, but keeps up well.

Campbell Hausfield makes decent ones. I loved the old emglos. I even had a gray one that was some special senco type deal.

SalmonFallsCabinetry.com

Salmon Falls Cabinetry on Facebook
Old 12-20-2007, 03:42 PM   #16
ContractorTalk Flunkie

Trade: Remodeling and Renovation Contractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by framerman View Post
Oilless will be generally a quiet type of compressor.

All of the oiless compressors I've used have been much louder than the oiled ones. Just my experience
http://remodelingncarolina.com
Old 12-20-2007, 05:34 PM   #17
Remodeling Professionals

Trade: Remodeling Contractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by dayspring View Post
All of the oiless compressors I've used have been much louder than the oiled ones. Just my experience
Yea, the better oil-bath units are much quieter than any oilless type.

Old 12-20-2007, 05:51 PM   #18
Al Smith

Trade: Home Improvement contractor since 1983, In building field since 1974, Licensed
Send a message via ICQ to A W Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdshunk View Post
Emglo (now Jenny), hands down. Bullet proof compressor, and quiet. It's the blue compressors your grandpa probably used. The DeWalt/'Emglo compressors are crap compared to the Jenny/Emglo compressors. Jenny is still making them the same way, and in the USA. DeWalt cheapened the design and is making them in Mexico.

http://www.jennyproductsinc.com/portables/index.html
Thank you thank you thank you mdshunk. `I now know where to get parts if i ever need them and I know where to get my next compressor

I also know where NOT to get my next compressor
Quote:
On November 20, 2003, Jenny purchased the Emglo line of Industrial Stationary Air Compressors and the entire Air Compressor Pump Manufacturing Facility from Black&Decker/DeWalt prior to the relocation of their plant to Renosa, Mexico. Jenny and our affiliated companies had been supplying and manufacturing a large number of parts, components, and assemblies for Emglo for over 30 years.
disco stu definatly go with the 'hand carry" Jenny. (I have the one on the right) I have no problem at all carrying my compressor up stairs through narrow doors and even up ladders.

Last edited by A W Smith; 12-20-2007 at 06:01 PM.
Old 12-20-2007, 07:03 PM   #19
Pro

Trade: General Construction
Rewards Points: 538

Makita has 3 oil compressors available. Big one with wheels, a twin stack, and a hot dog style. They are all 3 great compressors and very quiet. I have tried them all and I would recommend any one of them, just pick which size you need and go.
Old 12-21-2007, 06:30 PM   #20
MFWIC

Trade: house painter
Rewards Points: 250

My Emglo Airmate runs well after over 15yrs.
Almost 10yrs ago it did a flip off the back of my flatbed when I drove through a chuckhole... smashed it up pretty good.
So I busted off 2 more fan blades to keep it balanced and duct taped the shroud back together. Did framing in a couple tracts after than...

So now I've got pinholes in the bottom tank where they are rusting out.
I don't need any BIG surprises, so I kinda retired it.

I get an average of 2yrs from import clones of it bought for $89 at the local autoparts discount store. I don't frame or sheath roofs much anymore, so I mostly use them for spraying texture with a hopper gun... which can be a constant run situation much worse than framing.

The post above is correct. There's no fixing em. Usually it's something like a plastic switch that breaks, or the oil sightglass.

Who cares about repairs? I buy another one.

You are a flooring guy?
The little Senco compressors were getting popular around here.

But work is pretty well stopped around these parts.
See whats at the pawn shop. They are loaded up!