Air Compressor Silencers...

Old 01-30-2009, 11:53 PM   #1
Finish Carpenter

Trade: Finish Carpentry, Reno
Rewards Points: 2,700

Air Compressor Silencers...

I have a twin stack Husky Compressor I got DIRT cheap (made by CH, got it new for $125 with a roofer).

Works great for the finish guns, hardly cycles and when it does it fills up fast. Also does very well with a single framer or roofer. The only thing is that it is not the quietest thing going. Has a cheap plastic filter on it. Not really any louder then contractor compressors I have worked with before, but I know there are quieter ones out there....

As anyone every installed on of these? I was considering trying to make one myself untill I realized I am most likly not the only person out there who wants a quieter compressor and did a google search. I found a company called Solburg who makes them. They claim up to a 15 db reduction and it is only 12 bucks or so.

http://www.thepumpworks.com/products..._038_small.cfm

Also, one more thing, the manual says to use 5w-30 oil if it cold out, 10w-30 other wise. It says any motor oil will work, but also states you can use Mobil 1. I want to switch it out to a synth to give the little compressor every shot at lasting a while. What do you guys use in yours?

Also found this. :-o

"

Campbell Hausfeld, based in Harrison, Ohio, in cooperation with the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission recently recalled about 233,000 Campbell Hausfeld and Husky brand air compressors, which consumers should stop using immediately.

Protective covers on the compressor’s motor are not made from proper flame retardant material and can ignite, posing a fire hazard to consumers. The firm has received 11 reports of fires. No injuries have been reported.

The recall involves the following Campbell Hausfeld and Husky brand air compressors:
  • 8-15 gal. - HL410100, HL421000 HL421500, HL431500 - The first four digits of the serial number indicate a date code from July 2005 (0705) through March 2007 (0307)
  • 4 gal. - HL5402 - Have a prefix of HY, KB, or HU followed by a date code from November 2006 (1106) through November 2007 (1107)
The model and serial number are located on the back of the tank. Consumers should stop using the air compressor immediately and contact Campbell Hausfeld for a free repair kit.

For further information, contact Campbell Hausfeld at (800) 241-0448 between 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. ET, Monday through Friday, or visit the firm’s Web site at www.chpower.com."

Last edited by TBFGhost; 01-31-2009 at 08:58 AM.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 01-31-2009, 01:36 AM   #2
I like Green things

Trade: Custom Carpentry Services
Rewards Points: 3,990

Re: Air Compressor Silencers...

I use the oil that came with my makita, it is really quiet too. I dont know much about silencers but, I dont like loud compressors either.

Old 01-31-2009, 07:30 AM   #3
Contractor

Trade: Remodeling & Home Additions
Rewards Points: 2,082

I picked up a dewalt 175psi unit a year ago and have been very happy with it-it's much quiter then the old noisy beast I used before. Quite enough to run in the same room with me and still hear someone talk!
Old 01-31-2009, 07:46 AM   #4
Pro

Trade: High Pressure Air
Rewards Points: 239

I work on High pressure compressors (3000-6000psi)
In my compressors the intake is a major source of noise. Since the first stage on my compressors are essentialy low pressure compressors I would assume you could quite down the compressor by putting some kind of baffle system or silencer on the intake it should help out a lot. Just make sure it does not restrict flow.
Regarding oil I would suggest Shell Corena P100 for colder weather and P150 for hot weather. Its a mineral blend formulated for compressors it absorbs mosture that is in any air that leaks by the rings or condenses in the crankcase. Then the moisture is boiled out the next time the compressor is run long enough. Or if you work with the military 2190TEP steam turbine oil is essentialy the same. But regardless of which oil you use how often you change it will make more of a difference than type. Get the broken down oil and contaminents out more often and your compressor will thank you.

Last edited by maninthesea; 01-31-2009 at 07:52 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to maninthesea For This Useful Post:
TBFGhost (02-03-2009)
Old 01-31-2009, 08:49 AM   #5
Finish Carpenter

The silencer pictured above flows 6-8 CFM, it is 2.5" dia. the have a slighly larger one (3.25" dia) that flows 8-12 CFM for about $20. The rated CFM on mine is 4.
Old 01-31-2009, 09:37 AM   #6
Pro

I just went to the site after seeing the pricing you had posted. I thought maybe it may be worth investigating on the odd occasion I had a customer that needed new intake filter/silencer but did not want to pay OEM prices. The drawings there indicate they are intake silencer/filters but the wording calls them exhaust silencer/filters. Regardless one rule of thumb I would recomend following is do not put anything on the intake that has any orificae smaller that the intake you allredy have. In other words the one you have linked here has a 3/8NPTM threaded end but it appears to me it would be flow restricted by the inlet hole in the top. That looks closer to 1/4" so your compressor would be sucking air thru a 1/4" straw!
The flow rateings dont give you an indication of the pressure diferential across the filter to get that flow. Since you only have atmospheric pressure on the inlet that pressure differetnial is made up by drawing a vaccum and decreasing your efficancy.
Bottom line make sure both the inlet and outlet sizes are the same or larger than the g'zin on your compressors head.
TBFGhost (02-03-2009)
Old 01-31-2009, 12:04 PM   #7
Finish Carpenter

Very true and good call. I linked to the 3/8" one just because it was in the middle of the range they sold. I think my compressor uses a 1/4" but I am not sure...For the price, I will order one once I check what size fits my compressor and I will let you guys know more about the product and how it well it works.

In the photo of the compressor you can see the cheap plastic air filter element...

Last edited by TBFGhost; 01-31-2009 at 12:08 PM.
Old 01-31-2009, 09:48 PM   #8
Finish Carpenter

It is 3/8" I am gonna order it and see whats up.

EDIT: I did the break in as per the manual, swaped the oil out for 10w-30 M1 Extended Performace as per the manual, repeated the break in for a short 5 min run (let the compressor run unloaded), then swapped the oil out again....Seems to start up faster and run smoother. The oil that came with it was REALLY thick. I do agree with you that changing out the oil often will go along way, M1 is easy to get and the compressor only takes a little so I think I will just swap it out often. I know it is not a top of the line compressor, but she works and I am interested in seeing how it will do if well taken care of. If it dumps out, it dumps out....

During the break in, I was messing with the filter, covering parts of it with my hand and WOW holy quiet when you do that, so I am sure some sort of baffle will take some noise out. Also not a big fan of the stock filter b/c I can see through the filter media....

Last edited by TBFGhost; 02-01-2009 at 10:14 PM.
Old 02-02-2009, 04:13 AM   #9
nail bender

Trade: Carpentry,interior millwork
Rewards Points: 75

im skeptical of the silencer,,,not that it can be "quieted down",but of possible ramificatons for restricting air flow which is almost certain to happen in noise reduction

the compressor was designed with specific perameters in mind,not just to acheive the ultimate goal of compressed air,but function and parts longevity,,,,by "choking" either intake or exaust flow your dramatically changing the design/function perameters

for instance,you cant just put a racing muffler on a stock 4 wheeler,you will burn a piston very very fast,it changes the air flow and will make it run extremely rich,,,,,the reverse for quieting the muffler,not enough flow will make it run rich and foul everything from not burning clean

if you quiet the compressor you may cause it to run very hot shortening the life span of its componants,,,,restricting air flow will cause the compressor to labor much more than normal conditions

just my 2 cents???

for me,when i run the generator the compressor stays with the gen set,,,no noise in the house,,,,when im upstairs the compressor stays down stairs or in the basement as close to the power sorce as possible,,,,this ensures the compressor has as much juice as available so it doesnt vapor lock from lack of start up amperage and so it wwont just set their chugging until the reset pops

Last edited by sore thumb; 02-02-2009 at 04:16 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to sore thumb For This Useful Post:
TBFGhost (02-03-2009)
Old 02-02-2009, 07:46 AM   #10
Finish Carpenter

True, but that is why I ordered the intake silencer that flows 6cfm when my compresser will pump 3.7 @ 90. Seeing the compresser kicks on at 100psi the filter should flow plenty. I see it like this. If you look at intake systems on cars and trucks, many of them have baffeling in there to cut down on noise. As long as it is engineered correctly it shouldn't affect anything. I am going to try it and see how it works. I will see how long it takes to pump for 100 to 125psi with the stock filter and the aftermarket one and let you guys know.

Here is what CH told me about the oil as well....

You can either use 30 wt non-detergent compressor oil or you can use a FULL SYNTHETIC 5w30 or 10w30, such as Mobile One. Do not use standard motor oil, only full synthetic.

Last edited by TBFGhost; 02-03-2009 at 11:18 PM.
Old 02-03-2009, 07:54 AM   #11
Pro

TBH
the rateing of 6cfm does not tell you how much of a restriction it will be putting on the intake and the threaded oriface might not be the restricing oriface. It may be the one in the lid. That 6cfm may be an exhaust rating the way I read the website. For all I can tell these could be used on pneumatic driven pumps like thrash pumps. They sure look like intake filters but if you scroll down to some of the larger silencers they list aplications and none of them I found listed air compressors. If you scroll up and look at the smaller tube shaped ones I recognse them as being exhaust filters used on air driven boosters and hydrostatic test pumps.
Like sore thumb pointed out the machine is designed around some set of parameters. I know from experiance if you are impeding flow to the intake and start drawing a suction on the HP compressors I work with you will draw too much oil vapors out of the crankcase which will increas oil consumption and cause carbonization on the delivery valves. But if you lose the seal on the crankcase and dont get enough oil vapors thru the crankcase suction tube to the first stage you melt the first stage rings.
many of the HP machines come with a diferntial pressure indicator that changes color when the filter gets clogged and is starving the compressor. I would have went with something larger and necked it down to 3/8" to be safe (assuming that tube in the lid is not too small).
All in all I would guess that you can get a rough idea of how the thing flows by breathing thru it when you get it. If it is uncomfortable to breath thru I would not use it.
TBFGhost (02-03-2009)
Old 02-03-2009, 09:52 AM   #12
Pro

Trade: siding
Rewards Points: 3,310

sounds like your better off buying a quieter unit
Old 02-03-2009, 10:21 AM   #13
Finish Carpenter

I am always one for experiments. LOL. If she works, she works...if it seems like no, in the trash it goes. Right now I do as others and just place it in places where the noise is not too bad, like basements and outside....but it would be nice...
The Following User Says Thank You to TBFGhost For This Useful Post:
Tom Struble (02-03-2009)
Old 02-03-2009, 10:49 AM   #14
Pro

Trade: siding
Rewards Points: 3,310

im with ya brother
Old 02-03-2009, 01:03 PM   #15
Finish Carpenter

...WHAT THE HELL IS THAT COMMENT THING YOU PUT ON MY POST?!?
Where did you find that? That is a nifty idea.
Old 02-03-2009, 01:03 PM   #16
Finish Carpenter

Edit....lol, just found it!
The Following User Says Thank You to TBFGhost For This Useful Post:
Tom Struble (02-03-2009)
Old 02-03-2009, 02:21 PM   #17
Pro

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 534

The best air compressor muffler is an extra air hose. I keep the compressor in the truck and park as far away as possible.

You hired WHO
Old 02-03-2009, 11:16 PM   #18
Finish Carpenter

The filter/supressor came in...made a MINOR difference in sound, but the filter seems to flow well...the compressor doesn't seem to mind it at all and I know it is getting better filtration now. The filter has alot of deep pleats in it giving it good surface area. When this one starts getting dirty, I might try the next size up. They have a filter that is about 1" larger with a 3/8" outlet. Figured the larger filter will last longer in dirty work areas. It got a work out tonight stapling down underlayment, compressor cycled quite a bit. The box the filter came is said something along the lines of it being an intake filter for piston type compressors...listed a few kinds with "Contractor/Construction" being one of them.

Last edited by TBFGhost; 02-03-2009 at 11:22 PM.
Old 02-03-2009, 11:37 PM   #19
Palisade Point Const.

Trade: Remodeling/Finish/Framing/Log
Rewards Points: 1,000

It sure looks like the compressor silencers I have seen on higher end compressors. I can't imagine needing a filter on the exhaust of a pneumatic trash pump or something like that. However, if it still worries you at all, a google search for "compressor silencer" will find you several that are advertised as intake silencers. Here is one:
http://www.compressorpartsstore.com/...1-fslash-2.htm
Old 02-04-2009, 12:00 AM   #20
Pro

Trade: Residential Contractor
Rewards Points: 2,000

You need to get a vacuum gauge. Most compressors start to suffer malfunctions if the intake pressure drops below 15 in./Hg. I designed a number of silencers back in the mid-'90's using PVC pipe, they were designed for a company and remain their property so I can't elaborate.

Most piston compressors operate on a reed valve or spring loaded intake valve. It's the 'spitback' air before the valve closes that creates the noise. There are many ways to reduce it from there. Different materials for sound adsorption and redirection of the pressure waves can make a big difference.

Albert Einstein