3 Legged Ladder (red Top)

Old 01-09-2006, 06:58 PM   #1

Trade: electrician
Rewards Points: 25

3 Legged Ladder (red Top)

hey guys I just found this forum last night and am enjoying it very much. I am going to start doing some electrical work and small remodels and would like to know if anyone can tell me if they still make the redtop ladders? and please don't start on me about how they are dangerous and should be outlawed I will argue all day about that, I think they are much more stable than a 4 legged ladder any day. (I only put this statment in here because anytime someone sees me on my 3 legged ladders they won't stop telling me how unsafe they are, I even had one freind say that he thouhgt OSHA should outlaw them ) If they are still available anyone know were I can pick one or 3 up in the Denver area?

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 01-09-2006, 07:07 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: Colorado master electrician, EC, B-1 GC
Rewards Points: 2,000

Re: 3 Legged Ladder (red Top)

I've seen the fiberglass ones around but I'm not sure where you get them. I have a couple of old red tops in my storage yard but I'm pretty sure they are pretty well shot. I'll check them out tomorrow. Never know what I might find in that yard.

Old 01-09-2006, 07:16 PM   #3
General Contractor

Trade: ?
Rewards Points: 75

Is this what you are talking about?
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...lance&n=228013
Old 01-09-2006, 07:58 PM   #4
DGR,IABD

Trade: Electrical; Commercial and Residential Service

I know that Werner makes the 3 legged ladder. I have one, but it very seldom leaves the shop. They are handy when running cables through cluttered basements. One less leg to look for a place to plant. They are handy when working in a corner. I've never considered mine unstable. It's just a little weird, and it normally only leaves the shop when we're having a ladder shortage on a larger job.
Old 01-10-2006, 07:55 AM   #5

Trade: electrician
Rewards Points: 25

thanks for the link that is the style of ladder but the redtops where made of wood so much lighter, but I think the lawyers or fear of them made them disapeer.

mdshunk with you being an electrician I am suprised you don't use them exclusivly here in colorado it is all we used at the companys I worked for. its interesting to hear about the different ways things are done across the country.
Old 01-11-2006, 08:02 PM   #6
General Contractor

Trade: Class "A" Contractor with "BLD" Classification
Rewards Points: 75

Anyone have one of these?

http://www.littlegiantladder.com/Pro...ode=USAlumBase
Old 03-06-2006, 03:27 PM   #7
Rob

Trade: Electrician
Rewards Points: 10

Red Top Ladders: Your post said you are in the Denver area. Newco Inc. is our supplier for red tops they have branches in Loveland, Greeley, Ft. Morgan, and Cheyenne..... The local branch number is 970-867-8507...
They have a web site you can google search to it.....
We just purchased some 5' fiberglass three leg ladders through Johnstone, they are very good ladders but also very heavy compared to the good old Red Tops. I would buy the Red Top next time....
Old 03-07-2006, 06:40 AM   #8
...jammin

Trade: Rock Disciple

My local Sherwin Williams Paint Shop has them right when you walk into the store
They are fiberglass
I have never used this crap before and I pray to the paint gods that I never have to use it again, I would rather use Behr
Old 03-07-2006, 06:42 AM   #9
...jammin

Trade: Rock Disciple

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPV123
Now that thing scares the crap out of me
I have never used this crap before and I pray to the paint gods that I never have to use it again, I would rather use Behr
Old 03-07-2006, 08:01 AM   #10
Pro

Trade: General construction and remodeling
Rewards Points: 1,018

We dont have any 3 leg ladders, but bought a set of Bronco's (3 legged extendable platforms that extend upto 6' and each leg is independantly adjustible) to use for siding or any place we need to use the planks to span distances. The 3 legs are as stable if not more so than the typical 4 leg ladders for running planks, no tipiness at all and it's sooo much easier to set it up to clear shrubs, etc...

Many times for repairs we're on the top 2 or 3 rungs of a ladder and if base is shimmed right they're very stable, just wondering if the same thing sould be done with a 3 leg'r? as far as stability when your near the top? I dont expect to buy a 3 legged ladder anytime soon, but would like to keep them in memory for future purchases if they're as or more stable on top as the 4 leggers.
Old 03-07-2006, 10:28 AM   #11
Dripless

Trade: Painting and exterior wood care
Rewards Points: 150

I've got 2 sets of the Broncos and really like them. The one thing I notice is that if you use alumuinum planks, they slide easily on the aluminumframe so I always have some small quick clamps to secure them. I think the system is great for uneven ground. You can supposedly set them on a roof with up to an 8 pitch and use a plank.

Do you have the old stype square frame or the newer round tube? The old sq. are much sturdier and the frame is actually about 1 1/2 taller.
When I bought one more last year I was surpised when I opened the box an found the new design. The picture on the box shows the old sq. style. so I called the company to but my 2 cents in and talked to some guy named Dave and he dug up the last 2 of the old stlye they had laying around and gave me a super deal on them. Sometime it pays to complain.
Old 03-07-2006, 11:05 AM   #12
Pro

Trade: General construction and remodeling
Rewards Points: 1,018

Ours are the new round tube type design so guess i know no difference, but understand what your saying. Same thing happened with our Dewalt table saws, first one we bought had a 3 piece stand made of heavy guage steel, next newer one we bought had a 2 piece stand made of lighter guage material. I personally like the newer design since it's lighter and easier to erect.

All our our planks are the wood top with aluminum channel designed outter and inner ribs. Not so bad sliding in the summer when everything is warm thanks to the grip tape on the rungs, but in the winter when everything is cold and surfaces get slippery, they do want to slide easier than in the summer. I was on a few jobs where I used a few aluminum planks when they first came out, back then they were just too twistey for my likings, maybe the newer designs are better/stiffer, just know the first time I stood on a 24'er spanned between 2 extension ladders with ladder jacks I had a puckered bung hole the first time in the center Our wood covered planks have always been very sturdy and not twistey, but once you get over the 20' plank they get very heavy also

Dont know if I'd personally try like the pictures on a steep pitch roof without tieing them off to something for fear legs would lose grip or mar into roofing material, but the adjustiablity is there and I like it. Often wish they'd go higer than 6', but for most of the jobs we use them on they work just fine. Had to laugh as the first set I ever seen in a homecenter were $180/ea, I asked the siding supply house abou them and the guy sold them to me for $80/each...dont know how that ever worked out but I never got a call to make up the difference and I should've bought a few more sets looking back, but it was a newer product back then and did'nt want to have a bunch of money tied up in a product that did'nt work like I wanted it too.
Old 04-21-2006, 07:14 PM   #13

Trade: General Contractor

I can tell you where you can find dozens of 3 legged red top ladders.

In our dumpster.

I agree with you that 3 legged ladders are much more stable than a 4 legged ladder. That much is true.

However, we had used red top almost exlusively for our step ladders from about 99'-03'.

Then from in 03'-04' we had 4 very serious injuries, all on three legged red top ladders. They have two serious design flaws in their step ladders.

1st, the spreader lock out is simply the flat bar bent over at the joint. The "ears" being bent over the other bar at the joint stop the spreader from pushing through. There is no other positive stop on the spreader. Once the ladder gets used for any amount of time the spreaders get loosened up and them employee will lock the ladder out, and the lock will let the ears slide past its locking point, making the ladder fold up on itself.

2nd, the third leg is held on to a piece of flat stock by a "U" bolt under the literal red top of the ladder. It is in a position that an employee cannot easily inspect it. You need to use an extension on a 1/4" ratchet with a wobbley to get access to the nuts to tighten them down. Without inspecting or tightening the nuts, the third leg loosens at the top, and it lets the leg slip up an out of the top. Again, down goes the worker.

We've paid now over $890,000 in workmans comp, and lost time wages strictly due to red top ladders. In 05' we scrapped every red top ladder we owned (approximately 70-80). We replaced them with both Red Bull fiberglass 3 legged ladders, and some Werner fiberglass ladders. We spent another $30,000 on the new ladders.

One of our injured employees is going to file suit against red top.

The moral of the story, I agree with you 3 legged ladders are the way to go, but don't go anywhere near a red top ladder. They alone should be outlawed, and I have no doubt they'll be bankrupt sometime in the next 10 years, as someone is going to sue them for everything.
Old 03-17-2007, 10:08 AM   #14

Trade: Electrical

Crescent electric will special order Red Top Ladders but you must sign a disclaimer due to red tops omission of Insurance. I have found that the Werner Fiberglass FTP series ladder to be an exceptional replacement. They are available @ CED, White Cap or online.