18" Table Saw

Old 03-20-2011, 09:21 AM   #1
Pro

Trade: Handyman
Rewards Points: 1,304

18" Table Saw

Here it is. Darcy and Brian should own one!!!

http://cgi.ebay.com/Northfield-Table...item1e623994e0

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 03-20-2011, 09:53 AM   #2
Wood Craftsman

Trade: High End Remodeling & Refurbishing
Rewards Points: 4,424
Arrow

Re: 18" Table Saw

Framer,,,
That saw has been re-listed a few times,,,, it was $5900.00 originally I believe. In today's economy , shops closing, downsizing, lack of work- yada.yada,yada, the market seems to be flooded with this category of machinery and you will see that price either start to drop or it will be taken off the market when there is not so much competition out there.

My dream machine is the -Oliver 260,, I just have to be patient. I have a network of friends that keep there eye out for me and I do the same for them as I have recently with a shop that closed near me locally...my buddy was able to get a complete DC system for his shop for a song & Dance ....

networking IMO is the key,,,,

B,
Attached Thumbnails
18" table saw-oliver-260.jpg  

Old 03-20-2011, 10:08 AM   #3
Pro

I found one on another site for 550. but the fellow refused to say where it was for sale...

I think Darcy needs one!!!
Old 03-20-2011, 10:19 AM   #4
Pro

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 3,730

If you guys really like the old iron, start looking at machine tool dealers. I used to buy from this company: http://inv.cwwood.com/q/webinv/008760= and it seems like many of the machine shop equipment dealers that handle manual machines will have the old iron you love in a back corner, as many machine shops had woodworking equipment for doing patterns, molds, and shipping cases.....I remember seeing an old Oliver 16 inch table saw...or maybe bigger?, sell for $200......of course, the downside is that with any heavy industrial equipment, you will be looking at 3 phase and getting a phase converter set up...or building on.

Insulated Concrete Homes / ICF's
My Facebook Page
Old 03-20-2011, 10:23 AM   #5
Wood Craftsman

Arrow

550- not giving information.... lot of scam artists with spray cans out there- anyone that buys based on looks has their head up their a"" . I have heard horror stories from a few "newbies" that wanted OWWM so bad that they fell for the low price and all the stories that went with it.

and the outcome was NOT GOOD!

Either I buy from a respected member that has a lead,,,or I can actually go and inspect the machinery,and the last is from a respected seller with a clean record and good rating....

other than that.... I become very catious...

Joasis,

personally...
unless you just don't have it in you to do the "hunt" your going to pay full price going through a dealer. The more hands that get involved the more the price goes up.

EX:There is a dealer (which I wll leave nameless) that is selling this American 12" DD jointer for $2550.00 and states "this is in running/working condition- if you wanted this painted call for a price ,as is price,call-

I bought the American 16" #1 "Buzz" planer (light gray picture) for a fraction of what the seller is asking for a smaller 12" same maker(dark gray )

So,,
my point is,,, companies that deal in machinery "KNOW" what they are worth- and I am not saying that the 12" jointer is not worth that- it is and then some... but the "Hunt" (to me) is the challenge I enjoy the most ,and it saves me money for other machinery in the long run...

B,
Attached Thumbnails
18" table saw-american-12-inch-pleasant-street.jpg  
Attached Images

Last edited by PrestigeR&D; 03-20-2011 at 10:47 AM.
Old 03-20-2011, 11:58 AM   #6
I like Green things

Trade: Custom Carpentry Services
Rewards Points: 5,386

I would like to have a big table saw someday, one with a sliding table or a dual arbor set up.

It is one the wish list, not need list right now.

Joasis- There is a woodworking machinery dealer 30 minutes from me, sells all sorts of new and used. Been in the same building since 1895, he has been very helpful to me and answered a lot of my questions. He has a rather large Rat Hole, full of used equipment. Most of it priced really fair and he does bend on his pricing too. He just didn't have what I needed right away.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Californiadecks View Post
I don't normally talk to people like I talk to you, however you have the little immature schoolgirl mentality so this is new to me.
Warner Remodeling
Old 03-20-2011, 12:10 PM   #7
Pro

i don't think I will be buying any of the old iron, but it is fun to live vicariously through you two!

I think my Dad will be selling his old lathe if either are interested. 6' bed. Forget the make, bought from a school auction back in the 70's.
Old 03-20-2011, 03:01 PM   #8
Wood Craftsman

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarnerConstInc. View Post
I would like to have a big table saw someday, one with a sliding table or a dual arbor set up.

It is one the wish list, not need list right now.

Joasis- There is a woodworking machinery dealer 30 minutes from me, sells all sorts of new and used. Been in the same building since 1895, he has been very helpful to me and answered a lot of my questions. He has a rather large Rat Hole, full of used equipment. Most of it priced really fair and he does bend on his pricing too. He just didn't have what I needed right away.

He wouldn't happen to have a 260 hiding under somthing.... somewhere, would He.....

B,
Old 03-20-2011, 03:17 PM   #9
I like Green things

Trade: Custom Carpentry Services
Rewards Points: 5,386

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrestigeR&D View Post
He wouldn't happen to have a 260 hiding under somthing.... somewhere, would He.....

B,
Not the last time I was there. He had that big northfield but, I think it was sold. I could always tell him to be on the lookout for one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Californiadecks View Post
I don't normally talk to people like I talk to you, however you have the little immature schoolgirl mentality so this is new to me.
Warner Remodeling
Old 03-20-2011, 03:18 PM   #10
Wood Craftsman

Thumbs up

.......... thanks D.

B,