Who Is At Fault? - Construction - Contractor Talk

Who Is At Fault?

Old 02-17-2018, 11:07 AM   #1

Trade: Residential Building

Who Is At Fault?

To Preface this I should say ultimately we as the Contractors will be responsible, but....

We are Residential Contractors and we are building a brand new construction home on a slab. After our Plumbers put in our sinks in the Master Bathroom one of them would not drain. Our regular Subcontractor Plumber had sent out one of his licensed helpers to set toilets and faucets and was the one who found the problem. He snaked it and found out there was something in the pipe. The helper Plumber thought it was concrete, but couldn't be sure as he had no camera. He called his boss, our main Subcontractor Plumber, on Thursday. Our Subcontractor Plumber finally got back to us this afternoon. He immediately went to blaming the concerere subcontractors. He said he wanted to fix it, but didn't want to get to it right away. He wants us to wait even though he really is in the middle of the job right now. Not only does he want us to wait, but he wanted to put the expense on the concerete subcontractors. Well, at this point, we do not even know what is blocking the sink from draining. Even if it was concerete, he should have made sure all pipes were covered adequately from any concrtete falling into the pipes. However, at this time, we do not even know what is doing the blocking.

Right now the floor has to be jack hammered out to get to the pipe which of course also ruins our engineered wood floor.

We have never had this happen before. Who is financially responsible for doing the work and replacing the engineered wood flooring?

Any thoughts or experiences would be appreciated. Thanks.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 02-17-2018, 11:53 AM   #2
Eater of sins.

Trade: Designer/Drafter/General Contractor(again)
Rewards Points: 1,282

Re: Who Is At Fault?

I would suggest that you fix it as soon as possible then sort out the blame later.

Andy.

Advertisement

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ScipioAfricanus For This Useful Post:
brickhook (02-17-2018), greg24k (02-17-2018), KAP (02-17-2018), rrk (02-17-2018)
Old 02-17-2018, 11:54 AM   #3
Bubble stick operator

Trade: Carpentry
Rewards Points: 10

Tell us again why you haven't gotten a camera in there?

Figure out the cause and you can figure out the solution.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Defenestrate For This Useful Post:
KAP (02-17-2018), Rio (02-17-2018), rrk (02-17-2018), Tom M (02-17-2018)

Old 02-17-2018, 12:43 PM   #4
Pro

Trade: remodeling
Rewards Points: 3,167

You have to establish what and how it got blocked first.
Old 02-17-2018, 01:24 PM   #5

We just found out Thurs. The plumber's helper has been putting in the toilets and sinks just this past week when we found one sink was not draining. So the plumber's helper tried to get the plumber to come last week to fix it. He said he was too busy with other things. We are not licensed plumbers ourselves to fix it. So we are at the mercy of the Plumber to come and fix it.

But at the same time he telling us it's not his responsibility when he hasn't even been there to check it out yet.
Old 02-17-2018, 01:27 PM   #6

Andy, we are not licensed plumbers to be able to go in and fix it.

So should be the ones as the contractors to get the camera and see for ourselves?
Old 02-17-2018, 01:46 PM   #7
Pro

Trade: Remodeling
Rewards Points: 4,994

Quote:
Originally Posted by starlalabs View Post
Andy, we are not licensed plumbers to be able to go in and fix it.

So should be the ones as the contractors to get the camera and see for ourselves?
I’d rent a camera and take a look. Just because I’d like to know.

Make sure you rent a unit with a receiver, this will allow you to locate exactly where to dig and how deep.

I’d also demo as an archeological dig (carefully as not to damage anything), this will help you identify what cause the issue.

Tom
Old 02-17-2018, 01:52 PM   #8
Pro

Trade: I'll do that for 500 bucks.
Rewards Points: 8,206

Geez, just hire a drain guy with a camera and then you'll know. Probably 125 bucks. You're building a house, isn't there an oops fund for these things?

If also find a new plumber if he isn't willing to at least come and look at it.

Sometimes I wonder about these questions.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Bull Trout (02-17-2018), KAP (02-17-2018), ScipioAfricanus (02-17-2018), tgeb (02-17-2018), Tom M (02-17-2018)
Old 02-17-2018, 02:16 PM   #9
Wormdrive Operator

Trade: Contractor
Rewards Points: 6,626

When I see these type questions I find enjoyment in clicking on their username to confirm my suspicion that they are new posters.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to heavy_d For This Useful Post:
BBuild (02-17-2018)
Old 02-17-2018, 02:23 PM   #10
Pro

Trade: Custom
Rewards Points: 29,480

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defenestrate View Post
Tell us again why you haven't gotten a camera in there?

Figure out the cause and you can figure out the solution.
Quote:
Originally Posted by heavy_d View Post
When I see these type questions I find enjoyment in clicking on their username to confirm my suspicion that they are new posters.

Just look at the post count... quicker...

To OP... everyday that goes by is costing you money... get a camera in there and figure out what the issue is... you don't need the plumbers permission to do it as the GC, especially since you gave him opportunity to do it... it also doesn't remove his liability if the issue originated with him, nor the concrete guys for that matter...

In the meantime, you're moving forward instead of wasting time/money...
The Following User Says Thank You to KAP For This Useful Post:
ScipioAfricanus (02-17-2018)
Old 02-17-2018, 02:24 PM   #11
Wormdrive Operator

Trade: Contractor
Rewards Points: 6,626

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAP View Post
Just look at the post count... quicker...

To OP... everyday that goes by is costing you money... get a camera in there and figure out what the issue is... you don't need the plumbers permission to do it as the GC, especially since you gave him opportunity to do it... it also doesn't remove his liability if the issue originated with him, nor the concrete guys for that matter...

In the meantime, you're moving forward...
I only browse CT on my phone now I so I have to click username to see post count.

The Following User Says Thank You to heavy_d For This Useful Post:
KAP (02-17-2018)
Old 02-17-2018, 02:33 PM   #12

Thanks for your help. Yes, I am new. I appreciate the comments. Your frankness is good for my learning experience.

Last edited by starlalabs; 02-17-2018 at 02:40 PM.
Old 02-17-2018, 02:38 PM   #13

I do think as the GC we always cater to the Subs like they are in control. We have a lot to learn.
Old 02-17-2018, 02:48 PM   #14
Pro

Trade: Remodeling
Rewards Points: 4,994

Quote:
Originally Posted by starlalabs View Post
I do think as the GC we always cater to the Subs like they are in control. We have a lot to learn.
Something is backwards.....

Tom
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to tjbnwi For This Useful Post:
Defenestrate (02-17-2018), KAP (02-17-2018), Tom M (02-17-2018)
Old 02-17-2018, 03:19 PM   #15
Pro

Trade: GC/ Interior & Exterior Remodeling
Rewards Points: 7,812

I Know plenty of people with some money looking too get in the Construction game with little knowledge. They rely heavily on Subs.
Old 02-17-2018, 03:25 PM   #16
General Contractor

Trade: New Home Construction-Additions-Remodeling
Rewards Points: 7,516

Did you try to rent a snake and snake out the pipe, see if you can bust it thought if not wait for the plumber and see whats inside?

Whatever is inside that pipe that is who you can blame. The plumber should have capped his stubs (no duct tape), usually, rubber caps or glued PVC caps (much better solution) and concrete guys should have made sure everything is capped before pouring concrete (assuming that is whats inside).

Good luck trying to sort this mess out.
Fouthgeneration (02-17-2018)
Old 02-17-2018, 03:26 PM   #17

Trade: General contractor
Rewards Points: 12

I have been a builder for almost twenty years. I have built in three different states, and one thing is for sure, things are DONE, and HANDLED differently in every state. That said, to me, the pipes should have been capped plain and simple. No concrete guys in the world are gonna deliberately get concrete in those pipes. If they are not taped over, or better yet capped, then there is always a possibility of something getting in there.
Now as for who is paying for the fix???? GOOD LUCK, nowadays nobody wants to stand behind anything. As the general contractor or builder, I end up paying for so much stuff at the end of the year that is in NO WAY my responsibility, that it really cuts into my profits. I am in the process of moving to florida from North Dakota this summer, and I honestly think Im gonna go back to being a subcontractor. At the end of the day, there is just as much money with hardly any responsibility compared to the general contractor. And on top of that lets don't even get into "skin in the game" if we are talking about spec homes. Subcontractors make very good money and NEVER have to make an interest payment, or have to go set down with "THE BANKER".....lol
Anywho.....sorry to get off topic, but this is pretty typical problem nowadays. It pretty much doesn't matter if it is concrete, gravel, or WHAT EVER, the plumber should have had his dead ends plugged or capped to prevent this very thing!
If plumber refuses to pay, turn it over to an attorney, the plumber will see things differently after visiting with your attorney for a few minutes.
The Following User Says Thank You to BilliamB For This Useful Post:
Metro M & L (02-17-2018)
Old 02-17-2018, 03:40 PM   #18
Pro

Rewards Points: 3,766

Funny you should say that, considering this screenshot of Tapatalk

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-17-2018, 04:11 PM   #19
Pro

Trade: Handyman Services
Rewards Points: 14,031

I'd put my money on the tile guy's helper. Just get through it with the rooter guy.

My second place bet would be on the drywall punch list patch guy.

Last edited by MarkJames; 02-17-2018 at 04:14 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to MarkJames For This Useful Post:
Mordekyle (02-17-2018)
Old 02-17-2018, 04:24 PM   #20

As far as the actual work goes into building a new house we are not new. We have built houses from ground up (except the licensed professions) and have done it on numerous occasions. It's just that we have not done it in so a long time as our lives took different paths for awhile. So it does seem new again when it comes to hiring out subs. Subs from around here have to be handled with kids gloves as there are not always enough good ones.

Our Plumber instead of wanting to come immediately and take care of the situation said he was busy. I am thinking busy, you are on our job right now finishing up installing toilets/faucets etc. Why does a plumber take off of the job he is on when there happens to be a problem? He was find sending his guy to finish up (which he is not finished) and collect his last draw, but now that there is a problem, he doesn't want to come out till next week to even look at the problem. Then proceeds to defend himself again without even looking at it that it's no fault of his and we need to be charging this to the concrete pourers. Makes me wonder if he knew not all of his pipes were as secured as he thought they were because without even seeing it, he is saying he is almost 100% sure it's concrete.

This is were I am saying that I feel like we are just allowing him to be in control.

Advertisement

Last edited by starlalabs; 02-17-2018 at 04:27 PM.