Subfloor/Joist Damage

Old 02-07-2013, 10:59 PM   #1

Trade: electrical
Rewards Points: 10

Subfloor/Joist Damage

Hi, I am looking to purchase my first home, and upon walking through one house that we really liked, we noticed in the basement some subfloor damage (looked like someones leg went through it) and about a 1/5 of the joists have sister joists connect. One of the joist even has 3/4" plywood on both sides of it, and i was pretty sure that isn't correct. The home owner looks like they are continuing with putting in more sister joist, some are painted, others look brand new. Our agent said it could be possible termite damage, so i took a couple photo's to post on here to see if anyone could tell me anything about what they see. After getting home and getting the pictures on my laptop i wish i would of taken more, but I'd like to know if it isn't even worth my time, if it can cause huge problems for me in the future, if it looks like nothing, or anything like that. Figured I'd get a general idea before paying the 400 for the inspection just to have them tell me I'm better off finding something else. Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Subfloor/Joist Damage-img_20130207_114835.jpg   Subfloor/Joist Damage-img_20130207_114846.jpg   Subfloor/Joist Damage-img_20130207_114903.jpg   Subfloor/Joist Damage-img_20130207_114927.jpg   Subfloor/Joist Damage-img_20130207_114937.jpg  

Subfloor/Joist Damage-img_20130207_114958.jpg  

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 02-07-2013, 11:02 PM   #2
SEMI RETIRED

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 3,726

Re: Subfloor/Joist Damage

Run Forrest Run......

CScalf (02-08-2013), hdavis (02-08-2013), MAULEMALL (02-08-2013), thom (02-08-2013)
Old 02-07-2013, 11:11 PM   #3

damn.. Rest of the house was beautiful, completely redone cape, i was sold till i got to the basement lol. These !@#$ suckers even raised the price up 6 grand recently, I didn't understand why until i saw all this. I'm thinking they started getting into added more sister joist and wanted to make up for it. All these photo's are within a 4x4 section, there was still alot more basement like this through out too.
Old 02-08-2013, 04:59 AM   #4
General Contractor

Trade: New Home Construction-Additions-Remodeling
Rewards Points: 2,756

You in the business and if you like the house, shave 15-20k or more off the top of it for repairs, or if you can get for 40-50k under the market value ( it helps if you tell them I buy it as is, no inspection and fast closing) and do the repairs...it will be well worth it, not to mention you already walking into a house with a build up equity in it and in 6 month you can pull it out for your investments
bml215 (02-08-2013), Rockmonster (02-08-2013)
Old 02-08-2013, 10:45 AM   #5

That's a good idea. I had already shaved 15 off because it lacked a garage lol. They want 214 for it now, so I told my agent my offer as is is 150. They probably won't bite but I didn't feel like having new joist put in anyway
Old 02-08-2013, 04:31 PM   #6
Boondockian

Trade: Getting the job done
Rewards Points: 740

I really wouldn't wory too much about the subfloor damage, It looks like they've laid a new subfloor over it, the only concern I'd have with that is that they shimmed to joists up to the new subfloor where the damage is and that the new subfloor is of an appropriate thickness for a stand-alone subfloor(at least 3/4").

I'm more concerned with the sistered joists. First thing I would do is make sure the joists are the correct size for the span and that none of the sistered joists are below a bearing wall. As long as there not below a bearing wall, they can probably be replaced if needed, although that is not something I'd recommend a homeowner or electrician do.
Captain Howdy: We must all go through a rite of passage, and it must be physical, it must be painful, and it must leave a mark.

Last edited by Dustincoc; 02-08-2013 at 04:34 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Dustincoc For This Useful Post:
bml215 (02-08-2013)
Old 02-08-2013, 04:52 PM   #7

Yea, something like that I'd leave to the hammer slammers. What would something like that run me? I don't think the sistered joists are under any load bearing walls, I didn't even think to look for that specifically. Mostly under kitchen (new ones) and those pics are from under the dinning room I would say, and they have more under the living room. They had refinished the rest of the including hardwood floors so they probably did fix the subfloor during that time.
Old 02-08-2013, 05:05 PM   #8
Official CT Greeter!

Trade: General Construction
Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by bml215 View Post
Yea, something like that I'd leave to the hammer slammers. What would something like that run me? I don't think the sistered joists are under any load bearing walls, I didn't even think to look for that specifically. Mostly under kitchen (new ones) and those pics are from under the dinning room I would say, and they have more under the living room. They had refinished the rest of the including hardwood floors so they probably did fix the subfloor during that time.
About tree fiddy

I do it for the love of God, Country, The Corps, Apple Pie, & Poontang!
Old 02-08-2013, 05:10 PM   #9
Geometrist

Trade: framing/remodeling
Rewards Points: 2,363

If that is really termite damage, imagine the damage where you can't see!
ArtisanRemod (02-08-2013), CScalf (02-08-2013)
Old 02-08-2013, 05:17 PM   #10
Boondockian

Trade: Getting the job done
Rewards Points: 740

My concern with the thickness of the subfloor stems from the fact that it bridges a hole in the floor. Normally, 1/2" ply is good enough when going over a existing subfloor, but I would be worried with 1/2" sagging over the hole.

I have no idea what it would cost, Thats not my area, I fix apartments. I have had to assist contractors replace rotten floor joists under a bathroom before, I believe we had 5 or 6 done in a day, although we had the entire subfloor of the bathroom ripped out so we had easy access at the time. The only thing that we had to fight to get those in was a non-load-bearing wall and about 3' of subfloor across a hallway. The basic idea is to remove any weight on the floor above in the area your working on, remove the joist, hang one end of the joist onto the beam with a joist hanger, and lifting the other end up till its flush with the top of the beam and hanging it with a joist hanger. A jack may be neccessary to get lift the second end. When I worked on it, it was mostly my back doing the lifting.

I know someone is going to come along and disagree.
Captain Howdy: We must all go through a rite of passage, and it must be physical, it must be painful, and it must leave a mark.
The Following User Says Thank You to Dustincoc For This Useful Post:
bml215 (02-08-2013)
Old 02-08-2013, 07:10 PM   #11
Pro

Trade: Remodeling
Rewards Points: 500

You made an offer without having an inspection done?
Old 02-08-2013, 07:33 PM   #12

No I told my agent of what I'm thinking for an offer. We are still looking.