Second Floor Garage?

Old 03-14-2007, 08:45 AM   #1

Trade: Home building
Rewards Points: 10

Second Floor Garage?

My next project is on a steep small lot on Lake of the Ozarks. Entry into any garage other than road level would be difficult at best. Rather than pour walls and have to fill under the garage slab I was wondering if anyone has any info about the possibilty of a garge floor over a living space? If I remeber years back when we went to Mississippi they trussed and decked parking areas in some wet areas where homes were buildt on posts.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 03-14-2007, 08:59 AM   #2
Pro

Trade: Residential General
Rewards Points: 250

Re: Second Floor Garage?

Spancrete. Give them your specs and they engineer the whole thing.

http://www.spancrete.com/

Old 03-14-2007, 10:32 PM   #3
New Guy

Trade: Licensed General Contractor
Rewards Points: 10

Stress core slabs, probably similar to the spancrete. engineered in house and then pour a cap on top. They are usually supported by a brick ledge in the poured walls. You might have to do some searching but I'm sure there is a similar manufacturer closer to your neck of the woods.
Mike
Old 03-15-2007, 07:01 AM   #4
Pro

Trade: excavating / concrete / masonry
Rewards Points: 1,000

Your state building code would be the start wouldn't it. Fire code requirements and then engineering. It might be awful expensive to achieve.

"Every day I remind myself that my inner and outer life are based on the labors of other men, living and dead, and that I must exert myself in order to give in the same measure as I have received and am still receiving" Albert Einstein
Old 03-15-2007, 07:28 AM   #5
Pro

Yeah, Spancrete in Waukesha, WI, right next to that guy.
Old 03-16-2007, 08:35 AM   #6
Pro

Trade: Remodeler
Rewards Points: 2,802

Quote:
Originally Posted by denick View Post
Your state building code would be the start wouldn't it. Fire code requirements and then engineering. It might be awful expensive to achieve.
One of the reasons the garage floor is at least a step down from the top of the foundation is in case you have a gas leak the gas won't run under your door and into your house. Might be awfully hard to achieve that fire inspection when the "house" is under the garage floor.
Old 03-16-2007, 11:26 AM   #7
Pro

Trade: Masonry consultant
Rewards Points: 2,236

Regarding TimNJ's post -

I have seen many applications and they are totally legal if done correctly. All it takes is a precast floor plank with concrete topping. The plank is fire rated for about 4 hours, which is over twice what a separation wall for a garage is.

Some areas are changing or eliminating the floor elevation difference codes. The reason for the code requirement is the attempt to protect the people behind a wood wall. You can easily have the gargae floor a step below the upper living area if desired.

Occupied spaces under concrete floor construction are very common.

It sounds like the site will not reasonably allow a long driveway to access a garage at a different location.

Engineer, designer and consultant recently active domestically and internationally on construction and design in about 40 countries.
Old 03-16-2007, 12:11 PM   #8
Pro

Trade: Remodeler
Rewards Points: 2,802

Quote:
Originally Posted by concretemasonry View Post
Regarding TimNJ's post -

I have seen many applications and they are totally legal if done correctly. All it takes is a precast floor plank with concrete topping. The plank is fire rated for about 4 hours, which is over twice what a separation wall for a garage is.

Some areas are changing or eliminating the floor elevation difference codes. The reason for the code requirement is the attempt to protect the people behind a wood wall. You can easily have the gargae floor a step below the upper living area if desired.

Occupied spaces under concrete floor construction are very common.

It sounds like the site will not reasonably allow a long driveway to access a garage at a different location.
I can't believe they would eliminate the elevation requirement. Along with keeping gasoline from pouring under the door, the step can go a long way to keeping somebody who can't tell the gas pedal from the brake pedal from driving through the house.
I sure wouldn't feel comfortable living underneath a few parked cars.
Old 03-16-2007, 12:44 PM   #9
Pro

Jersey remodeler doesn't believe in engineering.

Generally an EPDM membrane or at the very least a spray on waterproofing is applied to the spancrete before the slab is poured. You wouldn't want water dripping on your head either.
Old 03-16-2007, 02:01 PM   #10
Pro

Trade: Masonry consultant
Rewards Points: 2,236

Maybe they don't engineer there.

Uusally, the room under the garage ends up being a prime area in this type of home - 24x24 up to 30x30 without a column or beam if you want it, or possibly one column, depending on the engineering. Maybe a walkout.

Someplaces you might end up with a 2x6 wall with an extra full length footing for the wall.

Engineer, designer and consultant recently active domestically and internationally on construction and design in about 40 countries.
Old 03-16-2007, 02:09 PM   #11
Pro

They make great home theaters.

We did one with a basketball court. It was really cool!