Post And Beams - Terminology ???

Old 10-26-2017, 06:56 AM   #1
New Guy

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 6
Smile

Post And Beams - Terminology ???

Hello
I am working on a basement 16' X 40'. There is an existing beam running 30' of the 40' length. There is no beam supporting the remaining 10'. I have been asked to install footings, posts and beam in this 10' span. I comfortable performing the above, but the architect mentioned about 3" or 4" bearing and I am not sure what he means. I have quoted part of his email to me.

Quoted - "Yes you need to install 2 new post and concrete pad footings.
The beam needs to sit inside the existing foundation wall with a min of 3" of bearing but typically 4" is better."

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 10-26-2017, 07:03 AM   #2
Pro

Trade: Builder
Rewards Points: 22

Re: Post And Beams - Terminology ???

It just means the the beam needs to sit on 3" for the full width of the beam.

I would like to see a picture of the floor. I can't imagine that the house was built without a beam that was required. Do the floor joists in that area run the opposite direction from the rest of the house?

Advertisement

Old 10-26-2017, 08:01 AM   #3
New Guy

Rewards Points: 6

Hello B.Johnson
The house was built back inthe 1920's. Looks like beams have been added over the years. Double 2" X 6" Wooden beam on two double 2" x4" wooden posts, 10' feet long. Then an "H" beam (8")on two steel posts 20' long. Nothing holding up the remaining 10'.
All joists are a little less than 16' long, going in the same direction. If you would like pictures, I can supply later tonight.

To clarify your posting, 3" of bearing simply means i need to rest 3" square of beam on a post with a 3" square top and bottom plate.

Note - I will be using an 8" "H" beam to match the one in the middle with and 8" X 8" x 1/2" plate on a 2' x 2' x 8" cement foot pad on either end.

Old 10-26-2017, 11:02 AM   #4
Pro

Rewards Points: 102

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevee,d View Post
Hello
I am working on a basement 16' X 40'. There is an existing beam running 30' of the 40' length. There is no beam supporting the remaining 10'. I have been asked to install footings, posts and beam in this 10' span. I comfortable performing the above, but the architect mentioned about 3" or 4" bearing and I am not sure what he means. I have quoted part of his email to me.

Quoted - "Yes you need to install 2 new post and concrete pad footings.
The beam needs to sit inside the existing foundation wall with a min of 3" of bearing but typically 4" is better."

Steve,

Are you sure that you work in the industry?

I sometimes I brain fart on terminology, but between this question and the other thread you started, it seems like you are a homeowner working on your own basement.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bull Trout For This Useful Post:
greg24k (10-26-2017), ScipioAfricanus (10-26-2017), Seven-Delta-FortyOne (10-26-2017), SmallTownGuy (10-26-2017)
Old 10-26-2017, 12:26 PM   #5
Pro

Trade: remodeling
Rewards Points: 1,683

Never take a job if you have no clue.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to hdavis For This Useful Post:
Bull Trout (10-27-2017), greg24k (10-26-2017), m2akita (10-27-2017), ScipioAfricanus (10-26-2017)
Old 10-26-2017, 04:23 PM   #6
Goin' Down in Flames....

Trade: Highwayman
Rewards Points: 1,398

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdavis View Post
take a job

Delta
hdavis (10-26-2017), SmallTownGuy (10-26-2017)
Old 10-26-2017, 07:30 PM   #7
Capra aegagrus

Trade: Remodeler
Rewards Points: 134

Thanks for posting on ContractorTalk.com. The Moderators of this forum would prefer that you post Do It Yourself related topics on our sister site www.DIYChatroom.com

ContractorTalk.com is designed for professional contractors to discuss issues and topics related to the construction and remodeling industries. Many of our professional contractors are also members at DIYChatroom.com and are looking forward to assist you with your needs.

Please take a moment to post your question at www.DIYChatroom.com If you're not already a member of DIYChatroom.com you can sign up for a free account by going to http://www.DIYChatroom.com/register.php/

We apologize for any inconvenience that this may have caused. This thread has been closed.

Advertisement

The Following User Says Thank You to Tinstaafl For This Useful Post:
hdavis (10-26-2017)