Pole Barn Construction Cost

Old 01-25-2018, 07:09 PM   #1

Trade: Decorative concrete
Rewards Points: 148

Pole Barn Construction Cost

I have been looking to have a larger garage put up in the 40x60ft range with 14ft ceilings to work on and park my trailers and trucks. I have been hunting down a garage the same size someone else has so I can get a first hand eye on it and see if it is the size I need or not.

I have came across 2 that were larger 50x70 both with 14ft ceilings with radiant heat in the floor. This would for sure suit my needs but I have a real issue with something.... The cost.

The latest one just blew my mind. Here is what he said. He ordered it as a kit metal outside and inside ($20k). He constructed it (with some friends I'm sure, no cost there) He insulated the walls (insulation was free, a demo of an indoor ice rink gave it to him) he hired out the electric and concrete floor. I then asked him how much it was into him for and he said.... you ready.... $250k . I looked at him like WTF... he said that the floor cost $30k with the heating system and the $250k included the price of the 3 car lifts that he installed. I know the lifts cost him around $12-14k but where is the rest of the money at?

The one before that I seen with only one lift had a crewn build it for him with a total cost of $175k acording to the owner.

My question is, is this what I could expect to have in a build like this except the floor heat, but even when you take out the cost of the floor heat WOW for a pole barn garage?

I'm not current on total construction costs but those two seem awefully pricey for a pole barn. Am I missing something or is it really something I'm not gonna want to afford to do.

Last edited by DATEC; 01-25-2018 at 07:12 PM.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 01-25-2018, 08:05 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 904

Re: Pole Barn Construction Cost

did you have him build it already, or is that the quoted

you said steel building and pole building, both are pretty different in cost

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Advertisement

The Following User Says Thank You to Donohue Const For This Useful Post:
hdavis (01-25-2018)
Old 01-25-2018, 08:42 PM   #3

The 2 pole-barn buildings belonged to 1 friend of mine that I hadn't seen in awhile and the other was someone that did some work on one of my trucks. Both knew I was looking at having a garage built and that is where we talked about the prices.

I was looking into either a metal building or pole-barn type garage. I figured pole-barn would be the cheapest route to take but when I heard those prices I was kinda taken back alittle.

I had it figured in my head the cost would be as follows from cheapest to most expensive.

1.. pole-barn (least expensive)
2..metal
3.. stick built
4.. block
5..brick (most expensive)

Now I'm thinking I'm wrong in my thinking.

Old 01-26-2018, 10:47 AM   #4
Pro

Trade: Industrial
Rewards Points: 352

I've had a couple equipment sheds built on the farm, uninsulated with gravel floors, a couple OH doors, and entry door for approx. $20 per SF. The "box" itself isn't too expensive, it's how you finish it out.

I've got a hunting cabin that is a pole barn also. It's built out pretty basic, insulated well, heat & AC, OSB ceilings and OSB on the bedroom and bathroom walls. Living room and kitchen have T&G car siding on walls, exposed concrete floors with a real nice finish, wood stove with rock hearth wall, very nice kitchen with good cabinets, nice restroom with stool shower and vanity. Also has an 8' covered porch on one side and a 15' x 35' garage bay. Got this thing completely built for $75 per SF.

These are purchase prices having someone else do the work. I do industrial work and find it makes more sense just to hire this stuff out rather than disrupt our work routine.
The Following User Says Thank You to Fishindude For This Useful Post:
r a s (01-27-2018)
Old 01-26-2018, 06:20 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishindude View Post

These are purchase prices having someone else do the work. I do industrial work and find it makes more sense just to hire this stuff out rather than disrupt our work routine.
That is what I was wanting to do, have someone else build it so I didn't have to stop work to do it myself. I can do the concrete myself that is not a problem and wouldn't take that much time from doing work for my customers. I agree with your reasoning as that is mine I just wasn't expecting to hear it cost that much, I guess I will have to do it on my days off and pick at it until it is done, except the roof I don't do that (it will surely leak and take way too long, I'm slow at it) I will hire that out.
Old 01-26-2018, 09:36 PM   #6
Pro

Trade: Remodeler
Rewards Points: 2,608

https://www.pole-barn.info/InstantQuote.html
Old 01-27-2018, 04:01 AM   #7
Pro

Trade: Pole Barns, Residential Framing
Rewards Points: 360

On a 40x60x16, I'm usually between 25-30k, depending on windows, doors and such.

Take that same barn, and totally finish it out (spray foam insulation,metal ceiling and walls, heated concrete floor, electrical) you can easily add another 100k to that.

So the shell of the building doesn't really cost that much, it's just everything else that really adds up.
The Following User Says Thank You to mrcat For This Useful Post:
r a s (01-27-2018)
Old 01-27-2018, 09:22 AM   #8

Thanks guys for the replys. I have poured floors for these type (except heated floors) garages but never inquired in the final build cost the owner had into the project. I guess I should have so I could have been more prepared.

Advertisement