Moving A Pole Barn

Old 03-18-2010, 08:06 AM   #1

Trade: General Contractor
Question

Moving A Pole Barn

Has anyone ever moved a pole barn? I need to move a 36 x 36 pole barn around 300yrds without tearing it down. A contractor freind said to drag it with a dozer or two dozers. I contacted a house moving company and they want $10,000 to do it.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 03-18-2010, 08:09 AM   #2
Pro

Trade: LI,NY designer, new homes, renovation work, concre

Re: Moving A Pole Barn

PLEASE COMPLETE YOUR PROFILE, AND CONTINUE TO THE INTRO PAGE AND TELL US A LITTLE ABOUT YOURSELF AND YOUR PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE, THANKYOU AND WELCOME TO CT, Only one thread per topic, thanks, GMOD

Old 03-18-2010, 08:26 AM   #3
Pro

Trade: Remodeling contractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by timar View Post
Has anyone ever moved a pole barn? I need to move a 36 x 36 pole barn around 300yrds without tearing it down. A contractor freind said to drag it with a dozer or two dozers. I contacted a house moving company and they want $10,000 to do it.
.......and?
Old 03-18-2010, 08:47 AM   #4
#1 stunner

Trade: Design/Build
Send a message via AIM to Static Design

Damn ppl around here can build a new one for that.
Old 03-18-2010, 06:49 PM   #5
SEMI RETIRED

Trade: General Contractor

How the heck would one drag a pole barn?

It would be a mess when you got it part way there.

I suppose you could set new poles, get a crane and brace the roof (is it sheated or metal roof?), boom the roof off and reset it.

Or take it apart and re-build it. Anyway you cut it it's a bunch of not fun work.
Old 03-18-2010, 06:59 PM   #6

Trade: excavating contractor

Did one almost that big....used old bridge timbers to build a skid. Then pulled it with a backhoe and a farm tractor. Had to cut the poles off at ground level , most were rotten anyway.
Old 03-18-2010, 08:51 PM   #7
Pro Framer Dude

Trade: framing/remodeling

We once moved a 24x24 garage using a crane. we moved it about 80 feet to a new foundation. Had to move it half way, set it in the yard, move the crane, then set it on new foundation. guess if you had a bigger crane it could be done with that one too. Although with a pole barn I think you might have to shear off the poles at ground level, and install new poles sistered to the old ones. 300 yards is quite a distance too. Would probably involve moving the crane at least 15 times and setting it down each time. The collateral damage would probably be excessive.

WNC Viking
Old 03-18-2010, 09:09 PM   #8
Pro

Trade: Framer

i once moved/built a pole barn that had two lean twos on skids with trusses connecting the two sides that i pushed around with a dozer for some crazy H.O.s that wanted a portable building, wouldnt recommend it
Old 03-18-2010, 11:29 PM   #9
Pro

Trade: Electrician
Send a message via Yahoo to Doubleoh7

How about hiring a trucking company. You could rent a 45 of 48 foot flat bed trailer. Have them back the trailer under the building in the middle. Then build a couple of "trusses" across the building just above the trailer deck. Jack the building up by placing jack between the deck and the trusses. When you are ready have them come and move the trailer. There are several videos on youtube of people moving garages.
Old 03-19-2010, 06:16 AM   #10
Pro

Trade: Electrical & Carpentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doubleoh7 View Post
How about hiring a trucking company. You could rent a 45 of 48 foot flat bed trailer. Have them back the trailer under the building in the middle. Then build a couple of "trusses" across the building just above the trailer deck. Jack the building up by placing jack between the deck and the trusses. When you are ready have them come and move the trailer. There are several videos on youtube of people moving garages.
This seems like a very logical way to do this ! You will have to cut the posts to move it as someone else mentioned. Before this whole thing is considered, you should check with your building code enforcement office, if you can sink new posts next to the existing ones, and method of attachment in its new location.................
Old 03-19-2010, 09:42 AM   #11
Civil / Structural PE

Trade: Software and business coaching

A pole barn resists wind and earthquake in large part by the pole embedment in concrete. If you cut the poles off and reposition the building, what's to keep the building there when the wind howls?

Sistering new poles next to cut-off ones would work if the depth of embedment is adequate, AND the splice length and bolting to the existing poles is strong enough. A rule of thumb for splice length is double the embedment depth. So if the poles are embedded 4' in concrete, you'll want a splice length of 8'. I suggest using 5/8" all-thread at 9" spacing, staggered slightly, with 3" washers.

The above suggestion is just that, a suggestion. You should get a local engineer to help you with the reconnection design.

Good luck!
Old 03-19-2010, 10:00 AM   #12
New Guy

Trade: Trim carpentry

I've seen many old garages moved on hayracks, same concept only your project would be a bigger scale
Old 05-15-2010, 08:05 AM   #13

Trade: usedwheelloader
Send a message via Skype™ to nikirao

it is a very biog project, you should ask some professional contruction machinery manufacture and ask them about this, maybe they can offer you some ideas