Latest Building Techniques

Old 02-22-2010, 06:26 PM   #1

Trade: Cabinetmaker
Rewards Points: 10

Latest Building Techniques

Looking for a resource of the latest building techniques? So I can improve and find other building products.

Thanks.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 02-22-2010, 08:26 PM   #2
The Brains

Trade: carpenter
Rewards Points: 150

Re: Latest Building Techniques

theres this site called contractortalk.com that iv found very helpful. u just gota read other posts and u will find somthing u didnt know. joking aside the best way iv found is just resaerch research research and really talking w ur fellow tradesmen

Old 02-22-2010, 09:34 PM   #3
it is what it is

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 75

Watch this old house, or subscribe to their mag, in the back it always has new vendors and products. Or hit the net or trade shows.

I Can't wait to Procrastinate!
http://www.EdwardBros.com
Old 02-23-2010, 07:38 AM   #4
Pro

Trade: Remodeling contractor
Rewards Points: 1,006

Finehomebuilding Magazine,online or DVD
JLC trade magazine or Trade shows
This Old House
U Tube
Contractor Talk
Contractor Pub
Real Lumber Yards
Old 03-02-2010, 05:03 AM   #5

Trade: NOT YET

Framing to my mind is the true joy and challenge of carpentry. It is where the enduring strength of a building comes from and where the quality of the exterior and interior trim begins. To this end we do not use nail guns. Nail guns are production tools that have no place if you want a well-built home. During the framing process we go to great lengths to keep things tight and right. This includes picking and culling lumber and using a great amount of string.
Old 03-02-2010, 08:37 PM   #6
Pro

Trade: Frame to Finish and Concrete
Rewards Points: 150

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryfed123 View Post
Nail guns are production tools that have no place if you want a well-built home.
Old 03-02-2010, 08:47 PM   #7
"Pro"

Trade: Construction Engineering Student
Rewards Points: 500
Send a message via AIM to Ayerzee

Quote:
Nail guns are production tools that have no place if you want a well-built home. .
What about miter saws, circular saws, and cordless drills?
Old 03-02-2010, 08:51 PM   #8

Trade: carpentry
Rewards Points: 25

Go to a building supply somewhere by you, this one out by me has contractor lunches where they show of the latest products that they will be selling. Last one was to show a lot of new decking products they were selling this year.
Old 03-02-2010, 10:12 PM   #9
it is what it is

Rewards Points: 75

If I didn't see this on a computer I'd think Larry was Amish

I Can't wait to Procrastinate!
http://www.EdwardBros.com
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to edwardbros For This Useful Post:
moorewarner (04-06-2010), Rio (04-05-2010)
Old 03-02-2010, 10:40 PM   #10
Pro

Trade: new construction and remodeling
Rewards Points: 594

This old house geared toward handymen/homeowners . Fine home building for pros
Old 03-02-2010, 10:45 PM   #11
Carpenter/Finisher

Trade: Carpenter
Rewards Points: 640

Quote:
Framing to my mind is the true joy and challenge of carpentry. It is where the enduring strength of a building comes from and where the quality of the exterior and interior trim begins. To this end we do not use nail guns. Nail guns are production tools that have no place if you want a well-built home. During the framing process we go to great lengths to keep things tight and right. This includes picking and culling lumber and using a great amount of string.
wth?

hence why you are a renovator?

i heard some guy tell me once that the reason most walls arent straight on new houses is because of nail guns....

he was a handyman too

(i subscribe to FH and JLC)

Last edited by john5mt; 04-05-2010 at 10:15 PM.
Old 03-02-2010, 11:58 PM   #12
Fire up the BBQ

Trade: GC
Rewards Points: 4,478

Quote:
Do you use electricity? Nail guns!! Work smarter not harder Whats the string for to hold it together? You probably dowel all connections and ban nails from the job? Dude, I've been involved in some of the highest quality work & specs you can imagine. Everything was straight,tight, plumb, square & level. We had electricity & nail guns. Your about 30 years behind times
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to griz For This Useful Post:
Ayerzee (03-03-2010), BuildersII (04-05-2010), seifconst (03-03-2010)
Old 03-03-2010, 06:15 AM   #13

Trade: electrcian

A raised floor system versus a slab on grade home may cost a little more but that is nothing compared to the benefits of building with raised access floors. Concrete slab homes do not have the curb appeal that a raised floor system does. You may find that you pay less for insurance if you live in a flood plain.
Old 03-22-2010, 01:22 AM   #14

Trade: licensed plumber
Rewards Points: 25

Modern house-construction techniques include light-frame construction (in areas with access to supplies of wood) and adobe or sometimes rammed-earth construction (in arid regions with scarce wood-resources). Some areas use brick almost exclusively, and quarried stone has long provided walling.

Last edited by angus242; 04-20-2010 at 01:59 AM.
Old 04-05-2010, 08:37 PM   #15
Pro

Trade: General
Rewards Points: 250

Quote:
I'm just going to throw this out there: a glue coated ring shank nail will hold loads better than a hand-driven 16 penny, and not even the fastest hand nailer in the world could keep up with a newbie and a good framing nailer. I'm not trying to mock you, but rather I think you should seriously look into your business because the time you save using gun nails would be very significant.

As for finding latest building techniques, in 4 months here, I've probably come across 20-30 new products that I use or will use when the time comes up again. I've also picked up some great techniques on how to get stuff done effectively. Just keep reading, and over time you'll keep picking up gems of info.

Last edited by BuildersII; 04-05-2010 at 08:41 PM.
Old 04-05-2010, 10:58 PM   #16
Designer/Contractor

Rewards Points: 1,366

Not to mention a glue coated screw nail applied with a nail gun.... almost impossible to remove a panel when those have been used. That and some good construction adhesive and there is no squeaky floor. On the ring shanks it has been proven that just by using those and a few connectors such as hurricane ties and other appropriate connectors down to the plates and A.B.'s and a house can stand up to almost any hurricane..............
Old 04-05-2010, 11:52 PM   #17
Project Manager HFH..

Trade: GC
Rewards Points: 2,004

Quote:
That may be the single most ridiculous thing I have ever read here....And I was around for ALL of the MZ soap opera.

Last edited by JumboJack; 04-05-2010 at 11:54 PM.
Old 04-05-2010, 11:55 PM   #18
Pro

Trade: Kitchen and bath design+remodel
Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdpaine View Post
Looking for a resource of the latest building techniques? So I can improve and find other building products.

Thanks.
http://www.buildingscience.com/

The Following User Says Thank You to bconley For This Useful Post:
D-TEK (04-29-2010)
Old 05-08-2010, 07:56 AM   #19
Pro

Trade: Subcontractor
Rewards Points: 278

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark696 View Post
These are some of the freat methoda for building construction which can help in building or restoratio of a building.
... .
Thank you Sunil for that informative post. I hope you are rewarded with vedy much improved traffic to your site.
Old 05-10-2010, 10:52 AM   #20

Trade: osha10and30
Location: The Center for Arts Education 225 West 34th street, New York, NY 10122

Because lead can be disturbed during construction, it's important to contain all dust and debris that may contain the poisonous element. Remodelers should employ warning signs, heavy-duty plastic and tape to keep the dust from spreading. Misting water on affected areas before sanding and scraping can further help contain lead. The area also needs to be thoroughly cleaned every day during the remodel with a HEPA vacuum and mopping with lots of clean rinse water.