Labor Vesus Material On Custom Homes

Old 04-28-2007, 04:05 PM   #1
New Guy

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 10

Labor Vesus Material On Custom Homes

Anyone have average labor percent versus material percent on a high end custom home? My liability insurer wanted the estimated breakout for pricing purposes. I didn't know if a 50/50 split was about average.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 04-28-2007, 08:40 PM   #2
It's all about the Avatar

Rewards Points: 1,010

Re: Labor Vesus Material On Custom Homes

For insurance and liability purposes, a good rule of thumb is to take all the cost for material that you have accrued, multiply this figure by one hundred, then divide this by the total cost of labour….I hope this helps you to get a more clarified figure…

Advertisement

Old 04-29-2007, 05:33 AM   #3
New Guy

I've only built one home. I kept good records of the overal costs of each part of the home, but I didn't keep records of the breakout of materials and labor. I was wondering if anyone had their average percent breakdown of labor and material on custom homes they have built, exclusive of the lot. If I had a copy of Means for residential, I could look it up, but I don't have one. I'm just looking for a ball park.
Old 05-01-2007, 07:44 PM   #4
New Guy

Lot of folks seem to have viewed this thread, but no one has given me any actual response on the breakout. Does anyone have any idea on the breakout?
Old 05-01-2007, 08:14 PM   #5
Pro

Trade: Renovations
Rewards Points: 1,000

This probably won't help you much, I do remodeling and additions on existing residences, and not at the very top end, but the materials are running a little more than 50/50, say 55/45 or a little more.
From where does knowledge come? If you need to know what is in a box, you could ask someone (not reliable), you could pray, (not useful), you can consult with the scripture (not helpful) or you could open the box (science)