Kind Of Like A Deck... But Its A Garage Conversion

Old 08-17-2017, 10:29 PM   #1

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 20

Kind Of Like A Deck... But Its A Garage Conversion

So I bought myself a "fixer upper" and part of my plans is to finish the garage into more living space. I have a ton of ceiling space and want to bring the floor level with the rest of the house.

Simple until now... The previous owner never really maintained the house all too well and the garage slab is trashed.... (water constantly came in the one corner from a broken garage door) good news is.. I can take advantage of some of the ceiling height by "building a deck" for a subfloor... The garage is roughly 14' wide... (i will measure exact tomorrow) I figure a ledger board on each side and run the joists across wall to wall. It is an all cinderblock foundation and walls. the walls seem in fine shape. Underneath I can put my vapor barrier and insulation.

From there I do a standard subfloor then hardwood.... finishes.. blah blah blah...

Great idea or am i crazy?

Plan B would be to pour a slab over the slab and lay joists right on it... The garage door issue obviously won't exist... I will be doing a footer and block to bring it above grade....

Last edited by behancs; 08-17-2017 at 10:43 PM.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 08-17-2017, 11:05 PM   #2
Shingler extraordinaire

Trade: Roofing, Framing, siding, decks
Rewards Points: 9,838

Re: Kind Of Like A Deck... But Its A Garage Conversion

Quote:
Originally Posted by behancs View Post
So I bought myself a "fixer upper" and part of my plans is to finish the garage into more living space. I have a ton of ceiling space and want to bring the floor level with the rest of the house.

Simple until now... The previous owner never really maintained the house all too well and the garage slab is trashed.... (water constantly came in the one corner from a broken garage door) good news is.. I can take advantage of some of the ceiling height by "building a deck" for a subfloor... The garage is roughly 14' wide... (i will measure exact tomorrow) I figure a ledger board on each side and run the joists across wall to wall. It is an all cinderblock foundation and walls. the walls seem in fine shape. Underneath I can put my vapor barrier and insulation.

From there I do a standard subfloor then hardwood.... finishes.. blah blah blah...

Great idea or am i crazy?

Plan B would be to pour a slab over the slab and lay joists right on it... The garage door issue obviously won't exist... I will be doing a footer and block to bring it above grade....
I was considering the same before we found the house we bought. One of the houses I lived in when I was in high school had a finished garage. Kind of a common thing to do around Memphis, Tn.

How is the current master bedroom? I think either a master suite or entertainment areas work well.

The house we had when I was a kid had the garage turned into a bedroom, family room and small tool storage area. That is where I would sneak back into the house at...lol

Advertisement

Old 08-18-2017, 01:04 AM   #3
Pro

Trade: I'll do that for 500 bucks.
Rewards Points: 6,410

We had a house when I was a kid with a two car garage converted to a big family room with a bar. I loved that house.

However, when we went to look at it, there were pictures of the entire family in diapers.

Old 08-18-2017, 01:13 AM   #4

Trade: Remodeling
Rewards Points: 14

I hate when people convert the garage into living space, then leave the driveway running right up and touching the house.
At least cut it back to a parking space size away from the house.
Old 08-18-2017, 09:43 AM   #5
Pro

Trade: remodeling
Rewards Points: 1,745

Plenty of people just build right on the slab.
Old 09-10-2017, 07:36 PM   #6
Flip King

Trade: Remodel Contractor
Rewards Points: 26

Sounds like you need to solve the moisture/water issue before you do anything with either of your two plans. I dont see how moisture barrier will help with an inch of water under your subfloor. Sounds like you might end up with a moldy, dry-rotty mess.
Old 09-10-2017, 10:42 PM   #7
Pro

Trade: Remodeling
Rewards Points: 3,938

I haven't seen a garage turned into a living space that didn't look like a garage turned into a living space. I personally dont like it. Add on to the back of the house or go up. Houses need garages. People have a lot of crap these days.
Old 09-10-2017, 11:31 PM   #8
GC/carpenter

Trade: Decking, Railing, Carpenter/General Contractor
Rewards Points: 688

We can't turn a garage into a living space without adding another garage.

Mike.
Old 09-11-2017, 12:15 AM   #9
Designer/Contractor

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 160

Quote:
Originally Posted by Californiadecks View Post
We can't turn a garage into a living space without adding another garage.

Mike.
We can down here in Dago (not a slur, a nickname for a city, look up Dago Choppers) as long as two off street parking spaces are provided, that's not the driveway unless it's a double wide 25' back from the sidewalk, can't be in the front yard, whole bunch of requirements.....

To the OP's question, people do it all the time, can be okay, can suck, as Cali points out maybe a garage somewhere else. If you do do it follow the code, provide proper ventilation, access, insulation, etc..
The Following User Says Thank You to Rio For This Useful Post:
Californiadecks (09-11-2017)
Old 09-11-2017, 10:07 AM   #10

Trade: Industrial
Rewards Points: 156

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Castle View Post
I hate when people convert the garage into living space, then leave the driveway running right up and touching the house.
At least cut it back to a parking space size away from the house.
Agreed.
Pretty easy to spot the typical brick ranch home where they filled in the old garage door opening with vinyl siding .... yuk. A proper addition does not look like an addition.
The Following User Says Thank You to Fishindude For This Useful Post:
Frank Castle (09-11-2017)
Old 09-13-2017, 08:47 PM   #11
Pro

Trade: Remodeler
Rewards Points: 1,622

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gking707 View Post
Sounds like you need to solve the moisture/water issue before you do anything with either of your two plans. I dont see how moisture barrier will help with an inch of water under your subfloor. Sounds like you might end up with a moldy, dry-rotty mess.

I think when he eliminates the garage door he will eliminate the water leak.

I have seen illegal conversions around here. The garage door is there from the street but there is now a room in the house.

Tacky...really tacky.
Old 10-01-2017, 08:52 AM   #12

Trade: general
Rewards Points: 6

sounds good to me, the footing and blockwork across the garage door opening should eliminate the water - just don't forget some form of airflow, lack of airflow is a MAJOR factor for rot and mold.

Advertisement

Last edited by limeykat; 10-01-2017 at 08:56 AM.