Information On Remodeling Modular Homes?

Old 12-25-2005, 08:18 PM   #1

Trade: Carpentry
Rewards Points: 10

Information On Remodeling Modular Homes?

Anyone know where I can find it? Any searches I've done on the internet just take me to modular home sites that actually push modular homes. The house has a stick built roof and sits on a block foundation. Just wondering if there's any info of other people completely gutting them and turning them into open floor plan homes.

Thanks,
Chris

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 12-26-2005, 05:35 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: restoration
Rewards Points: 150

Re: Information On Remodeling Modular Homes?

Just courious as to the concern that the home is a modular.

Unless the origional design of the roof was set up for an open floor plan, you will need to make accomodations for that regardless of the house being a modular or not.

However. If you've never had the pleasure of taking a modular apart, prepare youself and your crew for a long battle.

Old 12-26-2005, 05:55 PM   #3
Pro

Trade: manager of excavation division
Rewards Points: 2,000

If it has a stick built roof it could be a panelized home and not a modular which usually have a hinged type of roof system which is lifted once the boxes are set.
Joe
Old 11-11-2006, 10:32 AM   #4
Web Dude

Trade: Modular Home Sales, Sip Homes and HERs rater
Rewards Points: 25

If you are going to remove a wall to combine two rooms transversing the marriage wall, expect to use some microlam and have a dropped header between the rooms.

If the rooms you are combining are in the same box, most likely the wall is not load bearing.

Do you know who built the modular home? There should be a seal located in the home with the name of the manufacture. All modular homes also come with as built plans - this should help as well.

I did a speaking engagement with building inspectors in upstate NY once. I always started out my speech with asking "What is your thoughts on modular homes?" Usually I would recieve negative comments backed by misinformation. On this instance I had only one naysayer on modulars. An older gentlemen around 65 who blurted out - I hate modulars - dya ever try to remodel one......they are impossible to tear a part to remodel.

The key to modular homes is the design and planning stage. This is when future thoughts need to come into play such as combining rooms.
Old 11-22-2010, 01:35 AM   #5

Trade: electrical
Rewards Points: 10

How do you change the window sizes in a modular building? I had hoped to replace the single-pane for double-pane, but find that the dimensions aren't standard sizes. What would be the best way to change the size or would it be less expensive to just go with buying custom size windows?
Old 12-17-2010, 08:25 AM   #6
Web Dude

Trade: Modular Home Sales, Sip Homes and HERs rater
Rewards Points: 25

Most modular homes use standard window sizes: 24210, 3048 and 2852s for the windows. Are you sure it is a modular home and not a trailer home or wobbly box?
Old 12-17-2010, 07:11 PM   #7
Pro

Trade: Framing Contractor
Rewards Points: 1,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commune View Post
Anyone know where I can find it? Any searches I've done on the internet just take me to modular home sites that actually push modular homes. The house has a stick built roof and sits on a block foundation. Just wondering if there's any info of other people completely gutting them and turning them into open floor plan homes.

Thanks,
Chris
They are built different than stick framing. You have to contact the company that built yours.
Old 12-17-2010, 07:15 PM   #8
Geometrist

Trade: framing/remodeling
Rewards Points: 2,779

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Carola View Post
They are built different than stick framing. You have to contact the company that built yours.
Joe:

The thread is 5 years old.
Old 12-17-2010, 08:16 PM   #9
Pro

Trade: Framing Contractor
Rewards Points: 1,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren View Post
Joe:

The thread is 5 years old.
Holy Sh!t!! I'm a Pineapple...........