How To Dig Out Basement

Old 01-27-2009, 11:32 AM   #1
Contractor

Trade: Remodeling & Home Additions
Rewards Points: 2,176

How To Dig Out Basement

Looking at a job where the basement depth will be increased by 2' to make the basement 'useable'. New addition will be added and access will be easy, except for the low headroom of approximately 6'-6'6". No overhead lifting-but still a bobcat may not fit. I'm sure a Dingo would, but may take a considerable amount of time to remove 2'.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 01-27-2009, 11:42 AM   #2
Pro

Trade: General contractor
Rewards Points: 502

Re: How To Dig Out Basement

What are your plans against the exsisting walls and footers?

Old 01-27-2009, 12:11 PM   #3
Pro

Trade: Masonry consultant
Rewards Points: 2,226

When you go from 6' deep to 8' deep you are not just adding 30% to the lateral load on the wall/footing, you are adding about 80%, which can easily cause a failure or movement. As Wyoming said, you must be concerned with lateral support while digging, during construction and when it is finished.

Also, you should not dig any closer to the existing footing than the depth you are blow the existing to pour a neww footing/curb.

There is nothing worse than having a problem that causes settlement or lateral movement and cracking all through the house (VERY BIG $$$s!!!!!) the walls are holding up.

You should have someone lokk at the situation before you run off and start digging. The equipment you use is a minor problem unless you use the "bigger the better" philosophy.

Do it section by section and then wall by wall. - While you are there, interior drain tile to a sump is a "dirt cheap" investment before you pour the floor.

Engineer, designer and consultant recently active domestically and internationally on construction and design in about 40 countries.
Old 01-27-2009, 03:54 PM   #4
Contractor

thanks for the concern-the existing outer block walls are coming down, new footing going in and wall to top it out. If the bottom 4 four courses of block (then sill plate) were in good condition, I would consider underpinning in thirds. But as condition of subterrain block is poor, makes the most sense to start over. I've got this part licked-still looking for feedback on the original question :-)
Old 01-27-2009, 04:26 PM   #5
Curmudgeon

Trade: carpentry/remodeling/"Yes M'am we do"
Location: Beech Grove, Indiana, Birthplace of the "King of Cool"
Rewards Points: 2,000

Look through the excavation
and demolition fora (forums).
There was a guy here from...
Cincinnati(?) who had equipment
made for this kind of work.
Can't remember a name, but it was
probably last winter/spring-ish?

Or you could do it the way my
Grandpa did.
Get DuPont to help!
Good luck.
Old 01-27-2009, 04:44 PM   #6
Structural Engineer

Trade: Mechanical, Structural
Rewards Points: 500

Ever use a Dingo TX? Not an excavator, more of a loader. Low height. I think I have pictures of us digging out aluminum fines from a separation pond with that thing. We had a problem with the support steel for the skimmer arms being low and all over the place, and we couldn't drive an excavator into the thing. It worked pretty well for a bulk of the material. But all it did for us was push the solids into a small dumpster, which we lifted out with a Lull. The pond was about 50 feet in diameter, 9 feet deep, shaped like a salad bowl. We took out 140 yards in a few days. Customer made a nice buck recycling that.

But I'm not sure that would work for you. The stuff we moved out was the consistency of wet sand, and it was easy to push around.

Last edited by Aggie67; 01-27-2009 at 04:49 PM.
Old 01-27-2009, 05:14 PM   #7
Pro

Trade: excavating contractor
Rewards Points: 154

I did a job real similar this summer, bobcat 742b did every bit of it, machine is only about 6' dug down to grade and backed out. we dug out a 24x32 foot add'n roughly 4' deep in one day.
Old 01-27-2009, 05:24 PM   #8
Professional Instigator

Trade: Design Build Remodeling Contractor DC MD

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72chevy4x4 View Post
thanks for the concern-the existing outer block walls are coming down, new footing going in and wall to top it out. If the bottom 4 four courses of block (then sill plate) were in good condition, I would consider underpinning in thirds. But as condition of subterrain block is poor, makes the most sense to start over. I've got this part licked-still looking for feedback on the original question :-)

WTF? is the question. You really did not ask a question? What is it that you want to know

Old 01-27-2009, 06:39 PM   #9
Pro

Trade: Remodeling Contractor
Rewards Points: 1,014

by hand, thats how we do it when the rare opportunity comes by
Old 01-27-2009, 06:52 PM   #10
Curmudgeon

Don't know if it helps,
but this is the guy I was
thinking of.
http://www.contractortalk.com/member...-buster-19433/
Maybe you'll get some ideas.
By hand is what I know,
and I know I'd like a better way.
Old 01-27-2009, 06:58 PM   #11

Trade: Concrete breaking, sawing drilling - Demolition - Confined Space Excavation
Rewards Points: 75

I am creating this post in response to Neolitic's post. I would not have created it otherwise. (as not to be self promoting) I am the guy from Cincinnati he is referring to. We have electric powered mini excavators that we have used in hospitals, food processing plants, pharmacies and any place where space may be limited and/or fumes can be dangerous. Check out http://www.cretebusters.com and http://mini-equipment.com for more info and let me know if I can be of help. We specialize in confined space excavation and demolition. I'm not sure if this will work or not, but I've attempted to embed a video of one of our recent projects. [YOUTUBE]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/66Aw__tE0m4&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/66Aw__tE0m4&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]
Old 01-27-2009, 07:02 PM   #12
Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crete Buster View Post
I am creating this post in response to Neolitic's post. .........
So.....
You have "Auto-Notify"
if your name is mentioned?
Old 01-27-2009, 07:04 PM   #13

Trade: Concrete breaking, sawing drilling - Demolition - Confined Space Excavation

Yeah I know. I had already started my reply before I saw that you had posted my info.
Old 01-27-2009, 07:06 PM   #14

There's not much "getting out" in Cincinnati right now thanks to the weather. So I've been in front of the computer most of the day.

Last edited by Crete Buster; 01-27-2009 at 07:19 PM.
Old 01-27-2009, 07:10 PM   #15
Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crete Buster View Post
There's not much getting out in Cincinnati right now thanks to the weather. So I been in front of the computer most of the day.
Tell me about it.
Old 01-27-2009, 08:03 PM   #16
Contractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbsremodeling View Post
WTF? is the question. You really did not ask a question? What is it that you want to know
not sure what your problem is...the title of the post was the question and elaborated up in the body If you're complaining that it didn't have a question mark, well, that's just being picky What's next, slamming me for run on sentences or ending a sentence with a preposition

keep it lite baby!

someone posted about the Dingo-I was hoping to get feedback about that unit. I know they have tracks-how is the traction and load capacity?

The mini-excavator looks pretty interesting. I'm guessing it's only used on concrete floors-what is the weight? Would be worried about the speed of the unit-scoop dirt, drive dirt to opening, return for another scoop...
Old 01-27-2009, 09:13 PM   #17
Retired Contractor

Trade: RE Broker, Property Manager, Retired Contractor
Rewards Points: 504

I am kind of lost too. Let me know if I am wrong.

1) You are replacing the entire foundation
2) You want to dig the basement deeper
3) you are worried about getting equipment under the house?

If I am right, you would jack up the house and rest it on cribbing. You can put it as high as you need it to fit the equipment under there. We can usually get under there with a 30,000 - 40,000lb excavator and a little hand digging.

I have found that its usually easier to leave the existing foundation (if its in good condition and up to todays codes) and simply lift the house up to where you want it. You can add a knee wall on top of the existing foundation or block it up higher.
Old 01-27-2009, 09:38 PM   #18
Chief outhouse engineer

Trade: mason
Rewards Points: 526

Quote:
Originally Posted by LNG24 View Post

If I am right, you would jack up the house and rest it on cribbing. You can put it as high as you need it to fit the equipment under there. We can usually get under there with a 30,000 - 40,000lb excavator and a little hand digging.

I have found that its usually easier to leave the existing foundation (if its in good condition and up to todays codes) and simply lift the house up to where you want it. You can add a knee wall on top of the existing foundation or block it up higher.
laid 6 courses of tens under one just like LNG24 described this summer, the owner had a house mover lift it.

I think the OP said the foundation wasn't so good

I would think the bobcat would work the best, Is there concrete down there or is it a crawl space?
2. Repeat as often as needed.
Old 01-28-2009, 06:06 AM   #19
Retired Contractor

Trade: RE Broker, Property Manager, Retired Contractor
Rewards Points: 504

@dakzaag; Yeah, I kind of got that too, but I am not sure if he was talking the entire foundation.

@72 Still having trouble determining the question, but if it is simply; Will a Skid Steer fit thats easy enough to figure out.

According to the Bobcat website: http://www.bobcat.com/loaders/product_lines/track/t250

T250 Track Steer is 80.9" high(close)

S205 Skid Steer is 76.3" high so either would fit.

However, 2' of soil is not that much to dig by hand. That being said, you won't find me doing it but you will find my guys doing it. Of course they will be like
Old 01-28-2009, 06:33 AM   #20
Contractor

I'm sorry for the lack of detail guys.

The goal is to use a machine to increase the depth of the crudely laid conrete floor by approximately 2'. Not looking for info on the outer wall dig-that can be done w/ a mini-excavator. The existing floor is broken and somewhat crumbling concrete-likely not laid on a solid base cracked throughout (for easy breaking). It sounds as if a T180 would do the job, digging the additional depth while working toward the interior.