Glass For Loft Floor

Old 11-17-2017, 05:48 AM   #1
Fine Handcrafted Opinions

Trade: General
Rewards Points: 1,376

Glass For Loft Floor

I have a customer who wants to fill in a 4í x 7í space off of his second floor loft with a glass floor. I donít have a picture of the space, but it would be really cool for where he wants it. It has walls on 3 sides, and the current loft edge on one of the 7í sides with railing. We want to remove the rail, fabricate a steel frame that would be bolted to the framing on all four sides, and install a glass floor flush with the existing loft floor, and this will create a space for a desk. So definitely will be a live load on this glass floor, and needs to be done properly.

I have the logistics of the frame covered I think, I have a guy who can engineer and fabricate it, and my guys can install it. My problem is the glass. I obviously need someone who can design/ engineer structural glass for this space and a live load, I canít have anyone just winging it.

I have two glass companies trying to source it, and neither is doing well. Apparently itís not a terribly common request. One sent me a semi vague email after hours yesterday showing $6250, and Iím not sure if thatís glass only or installed, although I expect a follow up call this morning to explain it. Seems a bit high, but I really have no clue if it is or isnít. The other is still trying to come up with something from their source.

Does anyone have any insight into this? Any glass companies in the DFW area that do this type of thing? Any ideas on feasibility, or general advice from having done something similar? I think itíd be a cool project, and seems pretty straightforward if I can source the glass and confirm that the frame and glass are compatible. Should I avoid this job like the plague due to potential safety issues?

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 11-17-2017, 05:55 AM   #2
Pro

Trade: Handyman Services
Rewards Points: 13,239

Re: Glass For Loft Floor

No idea, but I vaguely recall reading they use laminates for this sort of thing.

This was in the news recently. I wonder what they used.

Advertisement

Last edited by MarkJames; 11-17-2017 at 05:58 AM.
Old 11-17-2017, 10:18 AM   #3

Iíll see your skywalk and raise you a cantilever...

Old 11-17-2017, 10:37 AM   #4

Trade: Remodeling
Rewards Points: 1,140

I like the idea.
But,
Why put in a "sky light" in and then cover it with a desk?
Who wants to look up from below and see the underside of a desk?
The sliding/rolling movement of the chair alone will fubar the glass/acrylic floor.

Just my .02Ę
TimNJ (11-17-2017)
Old 11-17-2017, 12:27 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Castle View Post
I like the idea.

But,

Why put in a "sky light" in and then cover it with a desk?

Who wants to look up from below and see the underside of a desk?

The sliding/rolling movement of the chair alone will fubar the glass/acrylic floor.

Just my .02Ę

Well itís kind of a modern looking interior town home, a bit minimalist, and I believe the desk and chair would be a small setup on one side, not some big oak antique rig with a massive 8 wheeled wooden chair.

Chair would be small also and have to have either rubber wheels or no wheels, and pads.

I think it would actually be really cool in their house.

Old 11-17-2017, 12:56 PM   #6

Trade: Remodeling
Rewards Points: 1,140

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearded Wonder View Post
Well itís kind of a modern looking interior town home, a bit minimalist, and I believe the desk and chair would be a small setup on one side, not some big oak antique rig with a massive 8 wheeled wooden chair.

Chair would be small also and have to have either rubber wheels or no wheels, and pads.

I think it would actually be really cool in their house.
Sounds very cool. Would like to see that when it's done.

I would just worry the chair wheels/pads (any type) will eventually leave the glass/acrylic looking fogged underneath it.

My desk chair is on basic office plastic wheels. It was on painted concrete for a while. Wore the paint off the floor. That I kinda expected.

Now it's on regular smooth concrete, and you can definitely tell where the chair rolls around all the time.

I'm sure different wheels would make a big difference for my set-up. But I'm guessing sooner or later something will scratch it.

Often something gets stuck to my boot tread and travels into my office area(usually a rock). Unbeknownst to me, it falls out of the boot tread, and then I roll over it with the chair. Wheel stops dead, pushes rock over a little bit, leaves a nice mark on the concrete floor.

Again, just my worry.

Good luck, and please report back on how it turned out with finished pics.
Old 11-17-2017, 02:43 PM   #7
Designer/Contractor

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 2,058

Here's a company we were going to use awhile back, ran into problems with the building department but the company and product looked pretty good.

http://www.ibpglassblock.com/glasswalk/
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rio For This Useful Post:
Bearded Wonder (11-17-2017), Sisyphus (11-18-2017)
Old 11-17-2017, 08:27 PM   #8
Talking Head

Trade: Poking Things With Sticks
Rewards Points: 98

Should have it specified by an engineer. No reason to avoid the project but you definitely don't want to be the one on the hook for the design and specification.
The Following User Says Thank You to EthanB For This Useful Post:
Bearded Wonder (11-17-2017)
Old 11-18-2017, 05:37 AM   #9
Pro

Trade: Carpentry
Rewards Points: 414

I can't help you. I know it can be done. I know a house that has a glass area on the second floor. May be Acrylic, I don't know. I know it's see through.

I remember because another customer knew about it and said, "If I'm there, in a dress, I'd better remember to wear underwear."
Old 11-26-2017, 02:58 PM   #10

Trade: glazier
Rewards Points: 4

I know this response is a little late but I just joined. We constantly do this type of work in my area and we use triple laminated/tempered glass. Any type of glass that will be walked on has to be laminated for safety reasons. If you have not found a manufacturer yet, DO NOT get it from a company that installs as well because they will KILL you on the price of just the glass. You actually are in a great area to get glass more locally like this, I have had it shipped up several times from TX, Mexico, and LA to NY. Also, if you are doing a glass floor I would 100 % go with a starphire/low iron glass or KrystalKlear, when you layer regular glass it gets soo green it looks like kryptonite. If you are still looking for a fabricator, let me know. I can give you quite a few. Also with framing, the amount of layers will be depending on the PSI. If its made right its strong as hell but framed wrong, its just fragile glass.
The Following User Says Thank You to stephyaurora For This Useful Post:
builditguy (11-30-2017)
Old 11-28-2017, 09:24 PM   #11
Designer/Contractor

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 2,058

Quote:
Originally Posted by EthanB View Post
Should have it specified by an engineer. No reason to avoid the project but you definitely don't want to be the one on the hook for the design and specification.
That website I listed above has engineers on staff and they review and approve the installation, been quite a while since we looked into it but I seem to remember that each project was 'custom' and thus very expensive although what shut us down was they didn't have some certification required by the AHJ here.
Old 11-30-2017, 05:18 AM   #12
Pro

Trade: Carpentry
Rewards Points: 414

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephyaurora View Post
I know this response is a little late but I just joined. We constantly do this type of work in my area and we use triple laminated/tempered glass. Any type of glass that will be walked on has to be laminated for safety reasons. If you have not found a manufacturer yet, DO NOT get it from a company that installs as well because they will KILL you on the price of just the glass. You actually are in a great area to get glass more locally like this, I have had it shipped up several times from TX, Mexico, and LA to NY. Also, if you are doing a glass floor I would 100 % go with a starphire/low iron glass or KrystalKlear, when you layer regular glass it gets soo green it looks like kryptonite. If you are still looking for a fabricator, let me know. I can give you quite a few. Also with framing, the amount of layers will be depending on the PSI. If its made right its strong as hell but framed wrong, its just fragile glass.
Good post. This is exactly what we need. Good quality, helpful information.

When I posted, i said, "I can't help you". You can help. That is great.

Thank you.

Advertisement