GC's Views On Commercial Door Subcontractors

Old 07-20-2017, 06:08 PM   #1
New Guy

Trade: Doors and Hardware
Rewards Points: 8
Question

GC's Views On Commercial Door Subcontractors

I am curious to know: what do commercial contractors look for when choosing a division 8 subcontractor for commercial doors and hardware?

Our company does contract work and also sells directly to end users. We want to improve how we approach our work for contractors to meet their expectations. Any thoughts?

Last edited by Tinstaafl; 07-20-2017 at 06:52 PM.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 01-23-2018, 09:56 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2

Re: GC's Views On Commercial Door Subcontractors

They earn their $ whatever that is.
I have been a residential guy for 16 years, finally stepped over as a general foreman in the industrial/commercial field.
I specialized in cabinets, trim, and framing, and none of that orepared me for the beast that is, "knock down" door frames.
Idk if its because they are piece of ****s, have to be PERFECT, or just a sore thorn in my ass, but they have been my Achilles heel in my first few months.

Advertisement

Old 01-28-2018, 03:50 PM   #3

Trade: general contractor
Rewards Points: 148

I've always did my own install for steel frame doors. I've had commercial door companies quote a couple jobs but with scheduling problems ended up installing them myself. I've always found them easy am curious to know what problems the previous poster is having with them. I can so say that they're a different beast and getting the openings correct and the order correct kills a little time and brain power with me as I don't do them all that often.I am lucky enough to have worked with various guys throughout the year that had been commercial door guys and they showed me some of the tricks
Old 01-28-2018, 06:35 PM   #4
Pro

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 1,796

When I hear the words "Commercial door" I think of the hollow metal frames that go up at the framing stage or in the case of masonry, before the blocks are set.

I always forget about the knockdown units that go up after drywall. We always referred to those as "Timely Frames". I think that was the name of the manufacturer.

I have installed hundreds of the HM frames and then the doors a month later.

Probably only done a hundred of the Timely frames.
The Following User Says Thank You to Lettusbee For This Useful Post:
Fouthgeneration (01-30-2018)