Fish House Build!

Old 01-10-2012, 12:03 PM   #1
Pro

Trade: Roofing Contractor

Fish House Build!

Hello all!

Trying to decide on how to go about building my fish house. Here is what I got and what I want to do,
8x22ft double axle hydrolic frame (built by a very good frame builder) bought new from a guy who bought it and decided to not build a house. The frame is not flat or a total v on the front it's 18ft to the corner then it angles 5ft 1in then it's 1ft 8 in on the nose. The width is exactly 8ft.

My goal is a rear drop down cargo door, side door, and three small thermopane higher grade windows. One piece 60mill rubber roof with termination bars on the top edge of the siding material. Inside plan on knotty pine, small bathroom, kitchen area next to it on the front cone with oven. Two pull down bunks above the fender box's and a fold up kitchenette in the rear.

For the floor going to go with either advantech 3/4in or 3/4 in treated. There is framework every 2ft. Planning to do linex or rino liner on the top of the floor.

Planning to have the bottom of the floor, walls, and ceiling spray foamed.

Not sure yet on exterior either going to go with .40 or .50 aluminum with minumal fasteners (on diamond plate) or fiberglass panel with minumal fasteners.

My biggest hold up currently is the frame for the walls and ceiling. Was planning to go with a 2x3 16in on center but the frame builder said too heavy and go with a 2x2. Others are telling me steel studs while others are saying steel tube frame.

Question,
Would it be ok with spray foam with 2x3's 24in on center?
How do you attach steel studs to steel studs for the roof?

My biggest drawback with steel studs is attaching the aluminum siding to the steel as the aluminum will oxidize. 3M makes a metal to metal tape but it's big bucks. If I did lumber will just have to us a PL grade glue to fasten the aluminum panels to the studs.

The frame is said to be 2K lbs and hoping to only add 2K-2.5K lbs on top of it! Frame was $4K and hoping to keep the total build under $10K but doubt it, guessing more like $11-12K...

Thanks in advance!

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 01-10-2012, 04:03 PM   #2
hurtlocker

Trade: homebuilder remodeler carpenter

Re: Fish House Build!

I just built one last year (still working on it)

I did 2x3s 16oc All my int finish materials are 1/4 to 3/8 wood products
so 2' oc was a tricky option. I also needed fastening options for all my bunks and cabinets

I did not do steel studs because I would have had to add some sort of thermal break so the frost would not transfer to the interior
I also wanted to be able to fasten everything easily

good luck on the 10g

Mine is 16' to the start of the v single axle and I will have 10 into it

Old 01-10-2012, 08:32 PM   #3
Pro

Trade: Roofing Contractor

Do you think the frost would be an issue with steel studs and spray foam?

I guess $10K is the number my wife wants to think! We looked at similar houses at the ice show and they were high teens low 20's. The low 20's had water tanks and a/c which I'm not going to do.

Over 10 years ago I stuck $7K into a 6.5x12!!! It adds up really quick...
Old 01-11-2012, 05:45 AM   #4
hurtlocker

I am not positive
but with just aluminum sheeting on steel studs
I do not see how the frost would not travel to the warm side
Old 01-11-2012, 04:40 PM   #5
hurtlocker

Here is how I framed mine