Construction Clean-Up

Old 01-01-2005, 07:33 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Construction Clean-Up

A friend of mine wants to do a rough cleaning and post cleaning when complete. He gave me a quote of .20 per sq foot plus extra for windows for both times. Is this what you guys are paying for rough and final clean? Or is this guy whacked?

Thanks,

David D.
D&D Builders
Knowledge Is Power ONLY When Executed!

Last edited by ddpromo1; 01-01-2005 at 07:36 AM.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 01-01-2005, 11:16 AM   #2
Custom Builder

Trade: From dirt to ridge vent
Rewards Points: 2,000
Send a message via AIM to Glasshousebltr Send a message via Yahoo to Glasshousebltr

Re: Construction Clean-Up

Seems a a little high to me, but I think it depends on if the dumptsters on site or haul away.

You do make your subs consolidate their waste don't you?

Think about it, 1500 sqft would be 300.00. The entire site could be cleaned really well with two people in a morning if they stay busy.

I guess it also depends on what its worth to you. If they do a really good job on time or at the last notice. Maybe.

Around here I've had pickups full of students. They cleanup for a little over 100.00.

Bob

Old 01-01-2005, 05:37 PM   #3

I appreciate your feedback. That answers the "rough" cleaning question. But I'm looking for a service that will "detail" my custom homes, ready for the home owner. I've had friends help, but there not always there when I need them. I heard "post" cleaning rates run anywhere from .10 - .25 sq foot, some include windows some don't> Who to believe?

Thanks,

David D.

Oh PS. I supply the trash/dumpster removal.
Old 01-25-2005, 01:40 PM   #4

Depends on what he/she does exactly. If that includes windows, basement sweep, and reclean is included in the .20 cents a square foot thats a good deal. Myself I charge 15 cents a square foot without windows or a basement sweep. and 4 cents to come back and do a reclean. I don't do the basement usless its finished and/or included in the square footage. When we do the first clean we try to get it detailed and cleaned the best we can including shining sinks and fixtures. We clean it how we would want it before we move in all dust and garbage removed we even hand wash floors. Then come back and touch up if needed before the home owners move in. If you have more questions let me know. what area are you in? wish you were in my area. I need some work!!
Old 02-25-2006, 07:28 AM   #5

Trade: cleaning service

I've started a cleaning service in florida and trying to determine if you charge by the hour or square foot.(commerial and residential)
Old 02-25-2006, 07:44 AM   #6
Pro

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 77

I pay .12/sf... That is a very detailed final clean only.

I do require that my subs clean up after themselves and they understand before hand that I will charge them if I have to clean behind them. (In order to do this, you must visit the site daily. Otherwise it becomes difficult to hold them accountable.)

My .12 may be equal to your .20.... Pricing is geographically subjective.
Old 02-25-2006, 07:52 AM   #7

Trade: cleaning service

If you dont mind, what does your detailed final clean up consist of.
Old 02-25-2006, 08:07 AM   #8
Pro

Floors, tubs, showers, toilets, windows(inside and out), window sills, cabinets(top to bottom, inside as well), fireplace(slate surround usually treated w/baby oil), appliances, baseboards, etc...

Our houses are mid-level homes, 2000-2500sf.

They do not clean the exterior, porches, or garage at the price I listed.

She tells me that they do on average two houses per day.
Old 02-26-2006, 02:07 PM   #9
Pro

Hbrown... just thought I'd let you know that I got a quote yesterday for .20/ft..
Old 02-27-2006, 08:45 AM   #10
Pro

Trade: Residential custom home builder
Rewards Points: 150

Our detailers (3500-6000 s.f. homes) get $500 and up, to around $1000. We ask a lot of them, though. We do our own rough cleanup, but they clean it as a maid would - windows, cabinets, floors, woodwork, lighting, you name it. They usually number two or three and spend a day or more on site.
Old 03-16-2006, 08:14 PM   #11

Trade: Post Construction Cleaning

Hello All, I'm new to your site. I've got a large hotel in Austin that I am bidding on and got a very high estimate from the window cleaners. The hotel is about 285k with 15 stories. Anyone have any ideas on pricing for a hotel? I tried to break it down by the amount of rooms and price it that way; like I do on most of my other smaller jobs however it seems very high too. Any suggestions are much apprecited. I tend to price my jobs by sq footage as well. thanks
Old 03-23-2006, 09:23 PM   #12

Trade: post construction clean up

where in florida r u?
starting business in panhandle soon

prices are low to me at 20 cents squ ft,,how do you cover allyour costs of insurance,supplies,etc at such low rates esp at the pennies for second clean?
Old 03-25-2006, 09:10 PM   #13
New Guy

Trade: general contractor
Send a message via Yahoo to acme const.

i am trying to get 20 posts so i can send an im
Old 05-12-2006, 04:35 PM   #14

Trade: post construction cleanup
Talking

Hello eveyone, I am new to this site and to new construction cleaning. I am in MD and know that the going rate for homes are .15 per s.f., but what I don't know is how to price a condominium building??? I know there should be some sort of a discount......but how much??? Please help me with this! Thanks
Old 05-17-2006, 11:12 PM   #15

Trade: construction cleanup

Hello everyone

New to this site and from kansas city Missouri. We just started our cleaning business about 1 year ago. We are charging .18 sq ft and $7 per window. I know alot of people are charging around .16 sq ft, but are much higher on their window prices. Anyone from close to here?

Tammy V
TaDa Cleaning
Old 05-17-2006, 11:48 PM   #16
Mod / ArchiBuilder

Trade: Design/Build Outdoor Living
Rewards Points: 2,026

Guys you might want to check out: http://www.cleaningtalk.com/

It is a sister site of this one and is just getting started.
Old 05-19-2006, 02:03 AM   #17
King of Caulk

Trade: Hack of all trades
Rewards Points: 150

The idea of pricing by the S/F is odd. some places are trased and you could spent 7 hours just bulking out the big stuff. The important thing is that you just spent how long building the place and then the only thing the owner sees is that there was grime in the tub. Not a way to save $50
Old 05-19-2006, 05:23 AM   #18
Dan

Trade: Remodeling Contractor
Send a message via AIM to ApgarNJ

i think most of us that would hire someone to do a final clean, would already have all the construction related debris out of there by then, and we are looking for someone to just clean the windows, floors, and anything else that is dusty. i have never paid anyone to do the final cleaning. i just usually go through and do it myself, doesn't take me more than a day at the most. and i know it's done right and i dont have to worry about someone i don't know, who doesn't speak english going through this several hundred thousand dollar job and screwing something up. or scratching something. i do understand for the really large houses though that it's better to hire someone.
12-15 cents a sq ft sounds ok to me. anything hire and you are wasting money.
Old 05-19-2006, 09:03 AM   #19
Pro

Trade: Founder of Contractor Talk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole
Guys you might want to check out: http://www.cleaningtalk.com/

It is a sister site of this one and is just getting started.
Thanks for the plug Cole but just so everyone knows... this site is not officially launched yet. We are still working on graphics, colors, and topics.

You are free to sign up and post whenever you want though, I just didn't want anyone to think it was done yet.

Any feedback on topics and such would be greatly appreciated.

THANKS!

"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot
Old 06-01-2006, 11:09 AM   #20
Sprays Water

Trade: Pressure Washing
Rewards Points: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApgarNJ
i think most of us that would hire someone to do a final clean, would already have all the construction related debris out of there by then, and we are looking for someone to just clean the windows, floors, and anything else that is dusty. i have never paid anyone to do the final cleaning. i just usually go through and do it myself, doesn't take me more than a day at the most. and i know it's done right and i dont have to worry about someone i don't know, who doesn't speak english going through this several hundred thousand dollar job and screwing something up. or scratching something. i do understand for the really large houses though that it's better to hire someone.
12-15 cents a sq ft sounds ok to me. anything hire and you are wasting money.
Worrying about someone that doesn't speak English or screwing something up isn't a problem when you hire insured, professional and Legitimate Businesses that don't hire illegals. That can be accomplished by paying more than 12 to 15 cents. The work is worth closer to 50 cents but lowballers that have no insurance and hire ilegals, have brought prices too low.

Just my 2 cents as a contractor that bids against toothless, uninsured "so-called businesses" everyday that price jobs at a rate that will allow them to buy a twelve pack at the end of the day.