Concrete Slab Price?

Old 10-08-2007, 04:13 PM   #1
Pro

Trade: Carpentry
Rewards Points: 150

Concrete Slab Price?

I'm not bidding - I'm taking bids.

Building about a 2K square foot house - small front and back porch, so I guess 2200 maybe.

What are you folks paying/charging for concrete? Labor/Materials? I'm flying blind!

MHM

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 10-08-2007, 07:44 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 3,304

Re: Concrete Slab Price?

You can expect $3.25 and up for the slab, including forming, steel, pouring and finish. And that is 4 inches. Footings will vary, we charge $4 a ft plus concrete.

Insulated Concrete Homes / ICF's
My Facebook Page
Old 10-09-2007, 04:04 PM   #3
Pro

are footings included in the slab price, usually?

guess i better ask
Old 10-09-2007, 05:33 PM   #4
Semi retired/ Over worked

Rewards Points: 75

I pay 4.05 per sqft for a monolithic house slab. That includes all boards , steel , plastic , and concrete and labor.
Old 10-10-2007, 04:56 AM   #5
Pro

4.05 is exactly what I was quoted yesterday

Middleburg ain't too far from me
Old 10-16-2007, 01:21 PM   #6

Trade: General
Rewards Points: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by joasis View Post
You can expect $3.25 and up for the slab, including forming, steel, pouring and finish. And that is 4 inches. Footings will vary, we charge $4 a ft plus concrete.
Just curious since you are fairly close (OKC). Approx what is the cost difference from a slab (48'*48') and a full basement to support a red iron/steel framed house?
Old 10-16-2007, 07:28 PM   #7
Pro

I have had the same thoughts Steel....if I were doing it, I would go with ICF's and then you can calculate the cost as $10 a sq/ft on the walls....and the floor would remain the same. I assume you are doing your steel on piers, like we do, so you will have the added 1 cubic yard of concrete per ten feet of wall, so 20 yards in the footing.

BTW, welcome to the forum...good to have another erector here. If you decide to explore the basement idea further, give me a call and I will give you the source for the block, or send my son down to do the job.

My Facebook Page
Old 10-21-2007, 12:35 AM   #8

Trade: General

Quote:
Originally Posted by joasis View Post
I have had the same thoughts Steel....if I were doing it, I would go with ICF's and then you can calculate the cost as $10 a sq/ft on the walls....and the floor would remain the same. I assume you are doing your steel on piers, like we do, so you will have the added 1 cubic yard of concrete per ten feet of wall, so 20 yards in the footing.

BTW, welcome to the forum...good to have another erector here. If you decide to explore the basement idea further, give me a call and I will give you the source for the block, or send my son down to do the job.
Honestly this might be my first project. I'm planning on building my house, but haven't decided to take the plunge to do it myself, or hire a GC to get it done faster.

My wife came up with the steel idea after stumbeling on Kodiak Steel Homes website; and it makes sence, esp here in Tornado alley. They also make it seem like a super sized erector set, that anybody with a wrench & sky track can assemble. Then the idea of adding a full basement vs just a storm celler also came to mind. I just see $ signs flying by.

I came accross another post I saw of yours for your own house (did you get started/finished yet) about GeoThermal. How did your research work out? Do you have OEC, or another Co-op? I'm really wanthing GEO also, as this will be our house forever! I have 5 acres to use, and like you, am all electric! I can't wait to get out of the house we're in now, burning $400+ /mo in elec!
Old 10-26-2007, 01:19 PM   #9

You could probably use $250 / cubic yard for labor and material. You will be close with that (if you're using a quality contractor).
Old 10-27-2007, 06:45 PM   #10
Contractor

Trade: Remodeling & Home Additions
Rewards Points: 2,194

your prices for concrete-that doesn't include the compacted gravel base or any sitework-right? Do you usually have the site prepared and just need to get the gravel in and compacted before while forming?
Old 10-27-2007, 09:34 PM   #11
Pro

I haven't broken ground yet, My house plans are with the electric co-op to get a look over, since they offer 0% interest on geothermal equipment. As an ICF builder, I like ICF's, but there are other consideration for me...I also do steel, and a compromise is what I am going for.

My Facebook Page
Old 10-27-2007, 09:45 PM   #12
New Guy

Trade: CONCRETE CONTRACTOR

Hello

Last edited by DREWALAN3; 11-01-2007 at 02:06 PM.