Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

Concrete Block Wall

27K views 26 replies 16 participants last post by  richard123 
#1 ·
I'm not exactly sure where to post this, pertains to adding blocks to an exiting block wall fence. I don't do concrete work! A customer is having blocks added to an existing wall, 2 rows of 16 and a row of 45, 77 blocks. His present estimate is around 2 days, $500 labor only. I think this is excessive. No other work is required other than laying the blocks and mixing the mortar. What rate does an average mason lay blocks (standard cement block, no caps required)

tnx for your input

#3 ·
So is it fair to the 'guy' to get a bunch of cross-country internet answers to agree with you that the price may be too high??

We don't know what all is involved, - - maybe he's charging extra because he see's how you are . . .

Maybe $500 is his 'job minimum'.

If you think is price is too high, - - by all means, - - get other prices.

I have a feeling he may rather be somewhere else anyway . . . :thumbsup:

#4 ·
What I'm looking for

Actually what I was hoping for was a number like a good mason can lay an average of 15 blocks per hour. Not looking for agreement that the price is too high. I regret now putting in the price. I'm sure the customer will get additional quotes (that's what I would do). Just wanted a baseline from some experienced folks. I'm also interested, just for general knowledge.

#5 ·
How much prep work is involved?
What are the Logistics?
Would you do it for less?
My point being: whatever your trade, put yourself in the other person's shoes and imagine doing what he does while you're putting a price tag on it.;)

#6 ·
I'm a carpenter, - - but let's say a mason charges $2.50 a block, - - and you want 50 block laid.

Do you think he's going to charge you $125 to do a job??

Would a drywaller charge by the square foot to do a closet?? . . .

How many block he lays per hour has nothing to do with a job this small . . .

#7 ·
I've learned my lesson, ask only the question you want answered! I travel pretty much full time and do know of some blocklayers in Tucson and Dallas, I'll ask them when I get there. Thanks for your time. Was hoping a mason would respond. Take care y'all.

#8 ·
Good post Tom
Small jobs should not & can not be estimated using unit pricing.....i.e.
try using unit pricing for a new drywall ceiling in a 5x7 bathroom @ oh....let's say at 1.50 / sq ft
5x7 = 35 sf ceiling
35 x 1.5 = $52.50
Oh come on ....you can do it for less than that!!!!! Get it?:thumbsup:

#11 ·
I use to be a brick mason...the only time my partner and I took on small jobs is when it behooved us. A small sill or tearout work for your regular builder is keeping the guy happy. Other small work had to be lucrative enough to get dirty. Getting the mixer out, mixing morter, cleaning out the mixer and tools as well as the jobsite for a couple hundred bucks doesn't put any money in the boss's pocket-get it? You get the 'good' pricing for larger jobs like an entire fence or block foundation.

#12 ·
Magic wand (not for sale)

I'm not exactly sure where to post this, pertains to adding blocks to an exiting block wall fence. I don't do concrete work! A customer is having blocks added to an existing wall, 2 rows of 16 and a row of 45, 77 blocks. His present estimate is around 2 days, $500 labor only. I think this is excessive. No other work is required other than laying the blocks and mixing the mortar. What rate does an average mason lay blocks (standard cement block, no caps required)

tnx for your input
No other work is required?How tall is the exsiting wall? From your detiails 45 blocks(60 ft), Maybe 2 courses on top of that 16 block long (21ft) Depending on height of exsisting wall ,Does the mason have to block over his head ? If so plank and shoring are involved.How about rebar? Proper istallation is drilling vertical rebar 32''oc & Bond beam block required for horizontal steel.You say no caps required,What about grouting the hollow cells ?(If not at least rebar cells)Preperation & clean up is the job itself, Any bozo can pick a trowel ,lay 77 block and drag it for 2days .A good mason and tender will have up by noon ,then Pay the man $500 .Good Point too chevy4x4

#18 · (Edited)
I allso believe its just a little high but like others explained its a small job you have to charge more everybody does.

As far a prices go around here we pay $1.50 a block for strandard 8" block. Our guy showes up with about 15 others (and a translator :rolleyes:have you ever been on a job site with ebonics and slang spanish flying everywhere? i think i'm on another planet) and knocks out 1800 block by mid afternoon.

Before we started hiring it out dad and i did them ourselves. Our best ever was about 350 in 7 hours and i never laid one myself. I mixed mud, toted block,set them up where he could just butter the end and lay them,close to the end of day i started buttering the ends for him if i had time and he just set them and leveled. Usually about 200-250 a day.

#20 ·
I allso believe its just a little high but like others explained its a small job you have to charge more everybody does.

As far a prices go around here we pay $1.50 a block for strandard 8" block. Our guy showes up with about 15 others (and a translator :rolleyes:have you ever been on a job site with ebonics and slang spanish flying everywhere? i think i'm on another planet) and knocks out 1800 block by mid afternoon.

Before we started hiring it out dad and i did them ourselves. Our best ever was about 350 in 7 hours and i never laid one myself. I mixed mud, toted block,set them up where he could just butter the end and lay them,close to the end of day i started buttering the ends for him if i had time and he just set them and leveled. Usually about 200-250 a day.
Thats impressive our masons never get a 100 and thats all they do! lol

#22 ·
Lucky your masons if they are expected to lay 100-150 blocks a day,here if you don't lay 300 blocks including 2 corners (by union standards),you are not considered a mason,but an apprentice, we are just 2 masons,1 apprentice(my son) and 1 tender, I usually do all my corners first and then help fill whatever is left, we lay 750-900 blocks a day(12"), just 2 masons, walls parged and ready for scaffolding, please don't think I'm bragging, we are just a small company, there are tons of good masons out there laying a lot more than that and making big bucks.
Regards!

#24 ·
Thats what im talking about. You are a REAL mason. Do you mean 900 block layed by two masons and other two guys mixing and toting or do you mean just two guys on the job site period. Either way its impressive. My discription was just 2 on site doing everything and so i am bragging on that one 350 day anyway especially sense we are not masons and i did not enjoy it.

#23 ·
The guy we use had his own company, his dad passed and the company went under. Our company brought his crew on as hourly workers for the past year, im sure they are disgruntled.lol I guess paying the slow guys hourly is better than paying a fast contractor. dunno my boss does though thats why he has a huge house and i have a rancher lol

#26 ·
I cant really do a 500 dollor job . It cost me $600 a week + tools and fuel .It would take 2 hours to get the blocks and sand , pull a mixer for 77 blocks 4 mixes i would mix it by hand . I f i could get near the job with the truck it would take longer to get the stuff . I need about $850 a day on the cheep TxM . I work by the job most of the time .

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.