Commercial Partitions

Old 09-21-2008, 04:39 PM   #1

Trade: GC
Rewards Points: 10

Commercial Partitions

Hey guys, my framer disagrees with my method of framing partition walls in commercial tenant improvement applications. How do you guys normally secure the top channel of metal stud partition walls when there is an existing drop ceiling? I need to frame a partition wall that will span the entire width of the space (30'). The drop ceiling height is 9' and I simply wanted to secure the top channel to the ceiling grid. He does not think this will give the wall enough support.. I dont want to disassemble the drop ceiling. Any better suggestions?

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 09-21-2008, 06:43 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: High Rise Caulk and Insulation
Rewards Points: 250

Re: Commercial Partitions

You could try a 45 dgree kicker form the top of the wall (through the tile) up to the deck. Frame the wall 2 inches short of the ceiling grid, the run the rock to the grid in order to cover the sight of the kikers. Use a kicker every 10-15 ft..

The grid will not withstand the weight of the wall. Good luck.

Advertisement

Old 09-21-2008, 07:27 PM   #3
Capra aegagrus

Trade: Remodeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivinni View Post
The grid will not withstand the weight of the wall.
Agreed. Especially if the tenant foolishly decides to hang anything with any weight to it on that wall. Commercial construction generally doesn't accomodate itself to underbuilding--at least, notg more than once.
Old 09-21-2008, 08:41 PM   #4
Pro

Trade: General, Electrical, and Plumbing Contractor
Rewards Points: 500

Are you installing this wall so to divide this space for 2 different tenants, etc.

If so, the wall needs to be a fire rated wall and stopping at the drop ceiling grid is not going to fly.
Old 09-22-2008, 07:49 PM   #5
Pro

Trade: Home Improvement General Contractor

This sounds pretty ghetto to me.
Old 09-22-2008, 08:30 PM   #6
Pro

Trade: Carpenter by trade, lead man for commercial GC...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kgmz View Post
Are you installing this wall so to divide this space for 2 different tenants, etc.

If so, the wall needs to be a fire rated wall and stopping at the drop ceiling grid is not going to fly.
Exactly, walls seperating different tenant spaces need to be fire rated from floor the the above deck. Our rules here require 2 layers of 5/8" on both side of the wall.

If you are just putting in partitions in a single tenants space - then attaching your top track to the grid is totally acceptable (it's the floor that supports the weight of the drywall). Make sure you screw the studs (not just crimp). Also, check the perimeter of the room to make sure the main tee's and at least every second cross is screwed to the wall - will eliminate any movement in the grid!!
Old 09-25-2008, 12:22 AM   #7

Trade: acoustical dry wall
Rewards Points: 75
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Deere View Post
Hey guys, my framer disagrees with my method of framing partition walls in commercial tenant improvement applications. How do you guys normally secure the top channel of metal stud partition walls when there is an existing drop ceiling? I need to frame a partition wall that will span the entire width of the space (30'). The drop ceiling height is 9' and I simply wanted to secure the top channel to the ceiling grid. He does not think this will give the wall enough support.. I dont want to disassemble the drop ceiling. Any better suggestions?
We do intire buldings under grid framing. Except fire walls, Demizing wall. Fire exits
Old 10-15-2008, 05:48 PM   #8
Pro

Trade: carpenter

Its called underpinning screw your top track of to the mains with type s or s-12 pan heads VERY common in commercial carpentry. If you hang in drops from the grid put extra heavier gauge hanger wires. Allso keep in mind that with acoustic caulk and acoustical insulation its very easy keep walls at certain decipal levels with this app. If installing new walls to grid where the tilles havent been dropped yet keep in mind that the weight of the tilles will tighten hanger wires and your ceilling will deflect so install your studs accordingly
Old 10-15-2008, 07:00 PM   #9
General Contractor

Trade: Construction Management

Quote:
Originally Posted by detroit687 View Post
Its called underpinning screw your top track of to the mains with type s or s-12 pan heads VERY common in commercial carpentry. If you hang in drops from the grid put extra heavier gauge hanger wires. Allso keep in mind that with acoustic caulk and acoustical insulation its very easy keep walls at certain decipal levels with this app. If installing new walls to grid where the tilles havent been dropped yet keep in mind that the weight of the tilles will tighten hanger wires and your ceilling will deflect so install your studs accordingly

There is a man who knows his sh*t!
Old 10-16-2008, 12:40 AM   #10
Pro

Trade: Residential Remodeling
Rewards Points: 250

Code in LA will not allow attaching partition walls to the grid. It is OK to use them as temporary supports, but kickers need to be placed 4 feet on center to opposite sides of the wall for the entire length, then the attachment to the grid removed.

Check your local code.
Old 10-23-2008, 11:00 AM   #11
Metal Stud Framer

Trade: Commercial Construction, Metal Stud, Drywall & Aco
Rewards Points: 150

Cali. and Oregon cannot attach to the grid for seismic reasons. Best way would be to kick off to the deck 45 degrees every 8ft.
Old 10-24-2008, 09:10 PM   #12
I eat sawdust.

Trade: Deck Design/Build
Rewards Points: 2,000

This brings up a good question, sorry if I hi-jacked. Someone I know wants to build a 10x10 office in the corner of a large area with high ceilings, but he only wants the walls to go up, say 10 feet high.

How would you support the 2 walls that you would have to build?
Old 10-25-2008, 01:41 PM   #13
Pro

Trade: Remodeling 30+ yrs
Rewards Points: 4,240

Snow Man beat me to it ,,,,,detroit687 nailed it, I use J channel to keep the separation away from the grid for sheetrock & Tape.
A few kickers above won't hurt.
Old 04-02-2009, 02:56 PM   #14

Trade: GC
Rewards Points: 25

a 30' wall will be plenty strong fastened to the ceiling with a few diagonal braces.. the j channel idea always looks like crap for me so we use zip strip.
spackle it with tiles in place, pull zip cord to reveal a perfect ceiling transition

Advertisement