Central Vac

Old 01-17-2018, 08:43 PM   #1

Trade: General
Rewards Points: 162

Central Vac

We are putting central vac in a spec house we are doing, we were originally going to sub out this work - however - I'm looking at the feasibility of us potentially doing it ourselves instead of subbing it out.

Has anyone done a central vac install themselves vs. subbing it out to a central vac outfit?

Some questions:

* Anyone done it themselves instead of subbing out to a central vac company and regretted it? Any particular reason?

* General issues you've run into when doing your first install?

* Reference books/documents for "best practices" for install? What I found seems fine, but, always looking for recommendations.

* They make PVC that is specific for central vac that is supposed to be "better" than using plumbing PVC due to better manufacturer QA, etc. I've read that either can be used, but, the one specifically made for central vac units is preferred. Any horror stories on using the plumbing PVC?

* Do most people sub this out in their spec houses or do it themselves?

Thanks!

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 01-17-2018, 09:12 PM   #2
Contractor of the Month

Trade: Control Systems
Rewards Points: 12,040

Re: Central Vac

I offer it as a service, around here low voltage companies also do CVAC.

Advertisement

Old 01-18-2018, 02:11 PM   #3
Pro

Trade: Remodeler
Rewards Points: 2,588

I put it in my house. Easy. Use common sense though.

Don't use regular pipe, use the vac pipe, the pipe is thinner. I believe the ID on it is bigger than the ID of the same size pvc pipe.Think of all the debris going through there, use long sweeps for all the turns.

Make sure you allow for enough outlets. Typical hose is 32' I think. Take a string line from where you want an outlet and make sure you can reach into every room with it. Not just in the room, but reach every corner and allow for furniture taking up hose length and being able to vacuum ceiling/wall corner.

Put an outlet in the garage and also right out by the garage door so you could vacuum your car parked outside on the apron too.

Don't skimp on the motor.
greg24k (01-19-2018), quantumflux (01-19-2018), Rio (01-19-2018)

Old 01-18-2018, 06:59 PM   #4
Pro

Trade: Low Voltage Systems
Rewards Points: 1,044

Around here its common to only put one outlet on the main floor and one on the upstairs floor.

Sent from my SM-G870W using Tapatalk
Old 01-18-2018, 07:06 PM   #5
Contractor of the Month

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stryker1-1 View Post
Around here its common to only put one outlet on the main floor and one on the upstairs floor.

If it's a small house where a 30' hose will reach...
Old 01-18-2018, 11:21 PM   #6

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimNJ View Post
I put it in my house. Easy. Use common sense though.

Don't use regular pipe, use the vac pipe, the pipe is thinner. I believe the ID on it is bigger than the ID of the same size pvc pipe.Think of all the debris going through there, use long sweeps for all the turns.

Make sure you allow for enough outlets. Typical hose is 32' I think. Take a string line from where you want an outlet and make sure you can reach into every room with it. Not just in the room, but reach every corner and allow for furniture taking up hose length and being able to vacuum ceiling/wall corner.

Put an outlet in the garage and also right out by the garage door so you could vacuum your car parked outside on the apron too.

Don't skimp on the motor.

This
Old 01-19-2018, 04:21 AM   #7
General Contractor

Trade: New Home Construction-Additions-Remodeling
Rewards Points: 7,304

I have central vac is very nice and convenient. My first floor has 4 outlets and second floor 3 with a 30' hose.

Now I got a new toy called Roomba: thumbsup: so the vac haven't been used, that thing is awesome, just program when you want to run, she goes at start time and when it's done it goes back to its port.
The only thing, you have to take it to the second floor so most likely will get the 2nd one for that floor. The only thing sucks about the 2nd floor, you have to put this little towers in front of the steps, or that thing will go diving.
Just another toy
Old 01-19-2018, 09:52 AM   #8
Pro

Trade: Carpentry
Rewards Points: 1,018

A lot of houses around here get the rough in by the builders that just gets the pipes into the basement.

I always include finishing the runs into the mechanical room and adding one or two for the basement when I do developments. Itís really simple to work with. You can by the vac specific parts at all the hardware stores around here.

Buy the pipe cutter that they self for it works really well
Old 01-19-2018, 11:01 AM   #9
Contractor of the Month

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stunt Carpenter View Post
A lot of houses around here get the rough in by the builders that just gets the pipes into the basement.

I always include finishing the runs into the mechanical room and adding one or two for the basement when I do developments. Itís really simple to work with. You can by the vac specific parts at all the hardware stores around here.

Buy the pipe cutter that they self for it works really well
If you're installing CVAC and buying parts at the hardware store you're an idiot, because you are paying about 8x the price for your fittings.
Old 01-19-2018, 06:44 PM   #10
Pro

Trade: Carpentry
Rewards Points: 1,018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inner10 View Post
If you're installing CVAC and buying parts at the hardware store you're an idiot, because you are paying about 8x the price for your fittings.

Thatís a bit harsh. I didnít say I was buying them there just that you can. The op seamed concerned about getting parts and wanted to use plumbing pipe.

I get my from a vacuum repair shop locally. I think they are less than 1/3 of the hardware store.
Old 01-19-2018, 07:34 PM   #11
Pro

Trade: Remodeling
Rewards Points: 1,290

Cooper electric sells the pipe. That's where I've gone when I've needed to patch in before

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rblakes1 For This Useful Post:
quantumflux (01-19-2018), TimNJ (01-19-2018)
Old 01-19-2018, 08:56 PM   #12
Pro

That's where I go too.
Old 01-19-2018, 10:18 PM   #13

Trade: General
Rewards Points: 162

Sourcing the parts without paying a ton for shipping is a concern for me. I have to think not only for this project, but, for future ones as well.. That and since this would be our first central vac install, I don't want to pay freight only to realize I'm one piece short and have to pay freight again... So a local place is important if at all possible.

While we don't have a Cooper Electric super near me (closest looks to be ~2 hours away, so not super far either), it's interesting an electrical supply place would have central vac parts. I'll have to check with the few local ones around here to see if they also carry them. Thanks for the tip.
Old 01-19-2018, 11:05 PM   #14
Pro

Trade: carpenter
Rewards Points: 460

people still install these systems? it though it was a fad like intercoms.
Old 01-20-2018, 07:36 AM   #15
Contractor of the Month

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stunt Carpenter View Post
Thatís a bit harsh. I didnít say I was buying them there just that you can. The op seamed concerned about getting parts and wanted to use plumbing pipe.

I get my from a vacuum repair shop locally. I think they are less than 1/3 of the hardware store.
I wasn't trying to insult you, just save ya money. HD an elbow is about 5 bucks, in bulk I think I pay around 50 cents.

Quote:
Originally Posted by quantumflux View Post
Sourcing the parts without paying a ton for shipping is a concern for me. I have to think not only for this project, but, for future ones as well.. That and since this would be our first central vac install, I don't want to pay freight only to realize I'm one piece short and have to pay freight again... So a local place is important if at all possible.

While we don't have a Cooper Electric super near me (closest looks to be ~2 hours away, so not super far either), it's interesting an electrical supply place would have central vac parts. I'll have to check with the few local ones around here to see if they also carry them. Thanks for the tip.
Find a security distributor like ADI, they stock it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3bar View Post
Here they do, it's boiler plate.
Old 01-22-2018, 04:55 PM   #16
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3bar View Post

The middle ground.

People who can't afford hired help, but have enough to put in the system.
Old 01-22-2018, 06:26 PM   #17
Pro

Trade: Low Voltage Systems
Rewards Points: 1,044

I don't think I have ever seen anyone actually use one it gets installed on new construction here but I don't think many people actually end up installing a vacuum.

Advertisement