Basement Window Leaking

Old 10-21-2008, 09:13 AM   #1

Trade: Carports
Rewards Points: 25

Basement Window Leaking

I am having a problem with an egress window in my basement that seems to be leaking. My basement is completely finished and as a result of this leak, I recently had to tear out carpet from the room that the window is in. From my understanding, the window was not properly installed as no drain tile was put in at the bottom of the window well.

My question is this, if I am correct in the problem, would it make sense to cover the window well or should I be doing more?? Thanks for any input.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 10-21-2008, 11:05 AM   #2
Pro

Trade: Masonry consultant
Rewards Points: 2,286

Re: Basement Window Leaking

Get the water out of the pit/well you have created. It is not a problem with the window, but where is was installed.

There is no such thing as a waterproof cover. All they do is shed the water so it can soak into the ground and appear around or in the pit/well.

You must provide a means to get the water away.

Engineer, designer and consultant recently active domestically and internationally on construction and design in about 40 countries.
Old 10-22-2008, 05:42 PM   #3
New Guy

Trade: General Commercial Construction
Rewards Points: 10

I always think looking at the type of material in the immediate area and grading are the first things to look at. Also many times the windows were never properly installed. Without a proper seal around the window water can easily run down the building and right in.
Old 10-24-2008, 02:29 PM   #4

Trade: General / Egress Contractor
Rewards Points: 10

We deal with Egress wells and I've found that the grading is one problem, AND if the cement was cut below the wooden framing the foundation will crack causing this problem. To fix it you need to dig down past the footer then put a sealing product over this crack. Install a good plastic over this section and let the crack sealer to hold the plastic in place. Dig past the footer and fill with drainage rock. Check out our web site.